declaring a bow at the Canadian boarder

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Online I read that you do not need any forms to enter canada with just a compound bow but I have heard it can be a nightmare if you don't have everything ready. has anyone crossed over with just a bow and can give me more information? TIA

bmrfish

WKR
Traveled to Canada the last two years with my bow to bear hunt. When the asked about guns I told them no but had archery gear. They just wished me well and waved me through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crossed for archery moose. Told them I only had archery equipment and a few knives. For some reason hunting knives peeked their interest. They pulled me in the garage and took about an hr of my time. It really just depends who you get.

*they specifically asked about knives

Last edited:

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I did a archery bear hunt in Manitoba Canada some years back. Told them at the border I was an archery hunter & only had bow. They handed me my passport back & said good luck & away I went. Pretty painless experience.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Same. I flew my recurve up a few years ago in my pelican (firearms case). I assume they thought I was lying and started searching my gear.
As soon as they opened it and saw the arrows, agent wished me luck and sent me on my way

I’ve crossed the border 10 times with archery gear and never had an issue.

Make sure you have your outfitter contract and you’ll be good.

They will ask what is the purpose of your travel, tell them you will be archery hunting.

Also, generally the smaller border crossings are easier to deal with than freeway 24-7 crossings.

Tilzbow

WKR
No past issues for me other than the lady who checked me through last time asked several times if my bow was held vertical or horizontal. I took it to mean there’s an issue with crossbows but I don’t prolong conversations or ask questions when crossing borders.

The last time I cross the Canadian border, we declared that my wife had a bow. the border agent asked my wife and I quote

” what kind of ammunition does that bow shoot?”

She replied back “arrows”.

“Have fun! Bye bye now.”

As we were driving away, my wife said “what the hell is up with that l!?”

I said, “who the hell knows, they’re Canadians. They put gravy on French fries for god sakes.” Lol.

KBC

WKR
I've asked about it coming back into Canada in case I ever buy a used bow in the USA. They don't have any issues with archery gear.

Regarding the knives, CBSA are being a bunch of D-bags and making up their own rules. Fixed blades are fine with them but they seem to think any folder you can open with one hand is a prohibited weapon. That means stuff with thumb studs or flippers etc. They are not illegal but I'm sure there's some secret memo out there to try and "keep us safe" from evil knives that are super handy tools.

I better stock up on the ones already in the country...