Looking to get first bow!

Hey folks, I’m looking to get into my first bow. I’d like something that isn’t super cheap that I’ll immediately want to upgrade, but I’m also limited on budget pretty heavily. Will likely have to trade or move some guns/gear to get into the bow, but I’d like to get into one ASAP so I can learn and be ready to hunt NEXT year!

From reading threads on here, Reddit, and elsewhere, it seems like a better idea to spend $300-$500 on a used bow than to get a RTH setup.

Mostly will be used for target and Michigan white tail hunting.

Looking for any and all suggestions!

I know my draw length is 29.25”, so 29 or 29.5” should work. 60-65lbs (or 70) is what I’m thinking for draw weight.

Just hoping to soak up as much info as possible, and maybe find a package to get started! Also keeping an eye on the classifieds here.

TIA!

Update: more info about me, male, 6’2, 290lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
Covered in the “beginner vs flagship bow.” Just recently, however,

Get a good sight and rest, (a rangefinder is a must if you don’t have one) as they will go with you to a new bow (and the next…) when you upgrade bows. I have zero experience chasing whitetails with archery equipment, but it seems 40 yards is most guys maximum shot distance and they seem “jumpier”. Don’t chase draw weights, work on a good form with a lighter draw at first. I don’t know your age or stature, but I would suggest a 60 pound maximum draw weight to get you started and hinder bad form habits. Just remember, Ted Nugent’s wife shot through a zebra with a 35 or 45 pound bow IIRC. Getting a used bow is not a bad idea but be prepared to spend another $150+ when you take it to a pro shop for new strings/cables, and a full tune for you. (Hopefully not new cams or limbs)

This is a huge can of worms and very person/budget specific. I don’t know what you are wanting to spend out of the gate. You could be on the range, or in the woods for $500 (with a dozen arrows) or $3000+. I started with a diamond razor edge, and had a ton of fun, killing multiple deer, and shooting 3D tournaments for multiple years. I upgraded a sight here, rest there, strings, bow, a truck load of arrows, then after another 10 years, I could afford a full flagship setup. I feel I was as accurate with that $500 setup as I am with my $2700 setup, but it is a smoother, quieter, faster, more stable platform. My group size inside of 50 yards does not appear any different.

A Honda civic will get you point A to point B, but so will a Ferrari, or a Ford Raptor, or a dump truck for that matter. Vehicles/bows are chosen for what you feel is important. Some are faster, some are quieter, some are smoother, some vibrate, some are less expensive, at the end of the day, they still fling a sharp stick.

If you have any specific questions, I’ll try to answer or someone else will jump in. Enjoy the sport!

Try to find a competent pro shop close to you. It is a steep learning curve starting out and gets expensive if you have to buy tools to be your own bow tech. If you enjoy it you will likely want those tools but you can collect them over time instead of having to buy/learn all at once. Talk to the pro shop you choose before buying used to see if they can still help you out.

Find someone to help your with your initial form and tuning. I would try to decide if your primary use is hunting or target.

I borrowed a cheap bow for a couple months to find out what I hated. Then I bought a new mid-range bow package from the local pro shop so I had them to lean on initially. I am very happy with it. I upgraded the rest right away and will eventually upgrade the sight. I stripped all the noisy dampeners and junk off it. I only practise hunting situations with it, primarily with broad heads but will do normal field point shooting when I am working on form. I tried going up and down slightly on the draw length until it was right for me (and my release). I broad head tuned it and I am extremely confident out to 60 yards (which is max pin on my fixed 5 pin). I tried a few different releases and switching to a thumb trigger made a big difference for me.

If I was into target shooting I would need to put more time and money than I can right now. My bow wouldn’t be as optimized for its intended use or I would need 2.

OP
allstajacket
Thanks for the input everyone.

I snagged a used Prime Logic CT5 from the classifieds here. 65lb limbs, and it came with a nice rest.

I picked up a stabilizer, sight, and release today to add to it once it arrives!

A semi-local bow shop is going out of business and has 50% off of sights. So I got the Trophy Ridge Trilogy. Not sure really what kind of sight I want as I haven’t shot a bow in forever, so I didn’t want to invest a ton.

My plan is to find a bow shop to check it out and tune it up for me once I get it. Then I’ll get some arrows and get to shooting. Maybe I’ll get to hunt with it this year after all..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was gonna suggest looking for a Matthews Z7.. Even though the draw never met my length, it was a sweet shooting bow

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to say for you to go to a pro shop and have them set you up according to your draw length after you try several bows to see what you like but it looks like you did ok.