Dedicated Big Woods Whitetail Setup

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
They suck in low light conditions, yes. Nikon not sure on exact model

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe it was the scope, and not all LPVO’s are Nikons?

Good LPVO’s are good in low light, and nothing you are stating about them is correct. Junk scopes are junk scopes, whether 1-4x or 3-24x.

Shraggs

WKR
This is my choice. 1894BB in .375 Win. with a Burris FF3. I got it right before moving from Alaska to Kentucky for that exact reason, but only bow hunted this year due to where I hunt, not allowing CF. I'll probably head out with it on public next season.
ce2db6edef7635b1b3c74c836e390596.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I did same thing with my Winchester 32 spl. Irons got hard with my prescription. The FF3 has a good auto bright mode works very well in very low light. No bleeding or compromising your target. It’s very fast imo and use.

IMG_5731.jpeg

If you found this in a 223 be sweet. This optic fits your needs. I’d rather an aim point with 2 dots. Your ranges are archery so I personally don’t feel magnification is critical.

Otherwise, I’d go thru the ultra light ar thread and 223 or 350 legend sticking too a good red dot. Some really cool ideas there.

Unclecroc

FNG
My first thought goes to a Remington 760/7600 or a lever action. A optic like a 2-7 or 2.5-8 would be where I’d go and focus on glass quality for good light transition. Just my thoughts.
Here in the western pa woods the pump Remingtons are coveted deer hunting rifles not my cup of tea personally but they fill that need very well.

eoperator

WKR
I have always wondered why accupoints are not more popular in the whitetail woods.
Trijicon 3-9x40 12.4" 13oz $600

Macintosh

WKR
Growing up hunting this way its a no brainer that I have a 7600 carbine in 30-06. I’m well aware I don’t need a 3006 to shoot deer, but there’s no way in hell I’m getting rid of this gun. I have had everything on top if it from a 1.5-4.5 weaver, a 2-7 nikon monarch, a 2.5-8 leupold, a 2.5-10 bushnell, and now have a 3-9 trijicon credo.
The one thing that I think is lost on some people about this type of hunting is how important a WIDE field of view is when you lose a brown-on-brown animal in the brush and it reappears, perhaps only 10 yards to one side, but at such a short range that could be a 45° angle from where you were looking. It’s possible it’s just a comfort thing for me, but I have found that a scope with a wider field of view is just easier for me not to lose an animal in the scope, because if I have to pick my head up and re-find it, it’s usually too late. There’s a LOT of folks in this area who are seriously into tracking and hunting big woods, of the ones I know not a single one uses a scope with more than 2.5 X magnification on the lower end. None of them use an objective larger than 44 mm, I don’t think a bigger objective would hurt, but I certainly don’t think based on what I see people successfully using around me, that a big objective is necessary.

My old Weaver 1.5 to 4.5 scope was fine for light gathering. It’s not going to win any awards, but if that old-school inexpensive scope with a 1 inch objective can work 99% of the time at first and last light even in dark, dark hemlocks and cedar swamp, then I would personally not at all be afraid of a good quality low power scope with a 1” or 30mm objective. obviously, some scopes just don’t have a bright image, lens coatings are either crap or have worn off, etc, so make sure you get a decent one, and I think you would be OK if you went this route.

I really do like my Trijicon scope, but I think the particular reticle on mine (std duplex in 3-9 credo) is a little fine and probably requires illumination in some conditions. Also, the field of view at 3X is too narrow for my taste. The cheap Bushnell trophy extreme 2.5-10 that I had on this gun for several years so far is the best scope footprint I’ve used on it. It held zero far better than the Lupold, gathered plenty of light for shooting in dark timber at last light or first thing in the morning, it had plenty of magnification to pick a hole through thick brush, but at 2.5x it was still a pretty wide field of view.

I am currently coveting a 1-6X Trijicon accupoint. The dot reticle looks pretty bold compared to the duplex on my credo, and with the always-on dot seems like that would help against a dark background or any time it’s really busy background. I’d love to get a look through one of these before I bought it, that may not be possible, but this looks like a good contender.

I know a couple folks that are really into tracking that use red dots. I don’t have a ton of experience with them, but certainly the ARs I’ve shot with them it’s no big deal to just bang away at a 8 inch plate at 100 yards. If you have one, cant hurt to try? I don’t think I’ve ever had more than a handful of shot opportunities past 100 yards while hunting this way, and even a shot that long seems extremely rare to me. People use these things to clear dark buildings, I have a hard time thinking that it doesn’t work fine in low light deer hunting.

KenLee

WKR
My first thought goes to a Remington 760/7600 or a lever action. A optic like a 2-7 or 2.5-8 would be where I’d go and focus on glass quality for good light transition. Just my thoughts.
Here in the western pa woods the pump Remingtons are coveted deer hunting rifles not my cup of tea personally but they fill that need very well.
Does PA not allow semi-auto deer rifles, or are the pumps just a tradition/reliability thing?
I have a couple of the Remington pumps, but haven't used them in forever. Folks years ago called them "Amish machine guns".

Macintosh

WKR
Does PA not allow semi-auto deer rifles, or are the pumps just a tradition/reliability thing?
I have a couple of the Remington pumps, but haven't used them in forever. Folks years ago called them "Amish machine guns".
Correct. It was supposed to be legalized in 2017 in PA, but I dont believe that ever happened. Even in Northern NY, VT, NH, ME pumps outnumber autoloaders at least 10:1 from what I see. The remington autoloaders had a well-deserved reputation for unreliability, so that may have influenced a lot of people.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Growing up hunting this way its a no brainer that I have a 7600 carbine in 30-06. I’m well aware I don’t need a 3006 to shoot deer, but there’s no way in hell I’m getting rid of this gun. I have had everything on top if it from a 1.5-4.5 weaver, a 2-7 nikon monarch, a 2.5-8 leupold, a 2.5-10 bushnell, and now have a 3-9 trijicon credo.
The one thing that I think is lost on some people about this type of hunting is how important a WIDE field of view is when you lose a brown-on-brown animal in the brush and it reappears, perhaps only 10 yards to one side, but at such a short range that could be a 45° angle from where you were looking. It’s possible it’s just a comfort thing for me, but I have found that a scope with a wider field of view is just easier for me not to lose an animal in the scope, because if I have to pick my head up and re-find it, it’s usually too late. There’s a LOT of folks in this area who are seriously into tracking and hunting big woods, of the ones I know not a single one uses a scope with more than 2.5 X magnification on the lower end. None of them use an objective larger than 44 mm, I don’t think a bigger objective would hurt, but I certainly don’t think based on what I see people successfully using around me, that a big objective is necessary.

My old Weaver 1.5 to 4.5 scope was fine for light gathering. It’s not going to win any awards, but if that old-school inexpensive scope with a 1 inch objective can work 99% of the time at first and last light even in dark, dark hemlocks and cedar swamp, then I would personally not at all be afraid of a good quality low power scope with a 1” or 30mm objective. obviously, some scopes just don’t have a bright image, lens coatings are either crap or have worn off, etc, so make sure you get a decent one, and I think you would be OK if you went this route.

I really do like my Trijicon scope, but I think the particular reticle on mine (std duplex in 3-9 credo) is a little fine and probably requires illumination in some conditions. Also, the field of view at 3X is too narrow for my taste. The cheap Bushnell trophy extreme 2.5-10 that I had on this gun for several years so far is the best scope footprint I’ve used on it. It held zero far better than the Lupold, gathered plenty of light for shooting in dark timber at last light or first thing in the morning, it had plenty of magnification to pick a hole through thick brush, but at 2.5x it was still a pretty wide field of view.

I am currently coveting a 1-6X Trijicon accupoint. The dot reticle looks pretty bold compared to the duplex on my credo, and with the always-on dot seems like that would help against a dark background or any time it’s really busy background. I’d love to get a look through one of these before I bought it, that may not be possible, but this looks like a good contender.

I know a couple folks that are really into tracking that use red dots. I don’t have a ton of experience with them, but certainly the ARs I’ve shot with them it’s no big deal to just bang away at a 8 inch plate at 100 yards. If you have one, cant hurt to try? I don’t think I’ve ever had more than a handful of shot opportunities past 100 yards while hunting this way, and even a shot that long seems extremely rare to me. People use these things to clear dark buildings, I have a hard time thinking that it doesn’t work fine in low light deer hunting.

You nailed the field of view issues, much better than I.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Echoing what was said above but that is correct in PA does not allow semi auto rifles for big game. A couple years back was the first year that they allowed semi auto shotgun for big game, and honestly it’s only a matter of time before the rifle will be allowed.

Im not big into rifle hunting as I prefer to not have as many people in the woods while hunting so I love archery season. However I have an 8.5” 300 blackout with a suppressor and red dot that I feel would be perfect for most of the hunting around me in wooded areas and the big woods with shots typically under 50 yards. Just can’t use it for hunting here in PA.

I love my tikka but BARs are wicked in the woods B3ACB30D-AAE7-4B30-9F7A-2FA1A2EC6F53.jpeg

Nothing wrong with chopping down a tikka 223 with a can though

3061B6F0-9732-489E-B963-A4D66F79BAFA.jpeg

I think a 2.5-10x56 credo would be nice, I haven’t personally needed 1x for woods hunting. But a 1-8 wouldn’t be bad at all!

grfox92

WKR
I have always wondered why accupoints are not more popular in the whitetail woods.
Trijicon 3-9x40 12.4" 13oz $600
Thats all the Benoits used when they got too old to see through peep sights.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Being that this is white tail, not elk or a large animal, I don’t follow the idea of fast follow-up shots?

Get yourself a larger caliber that will handle deflections from brush better, and that will not require a second shot on a deer.

Huge emphasis on making ethical shots here. If you can’t take your time and set up an ethical shot, don’t take it.

What’s wrong with a good ol’ 30-06? Or .308?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I like more cartridge for deer/big game rather than something like a .223 with a light bullet, but I love ar platforms. I’ve gone the direction of 6.5 Grendel suppressed with a 1-8.5 with illuminated reticle. I may go 16” ruger sfar in .308 in the near future, like I said earlier in preferring more hrsprs when big game hunting. Short, handy, mild recoil, great follow up shots, and no too obnoxious when suppressed in 16”.

Long Cut

WKR
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe it was the scope, and not all LPVO’s are Nikons?

Good LPVO’s are good in low light, and nothing you are stating about them is correct. Junk scopes are junk scopes, whether 1-4x or 3-24x.
Sorry it wasn’t an SWFA or NF, Boss.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Being that this is white tail, not elk or a large animal, I don’t follow the idea of fast follow-up shots?

Get yourself a larger caliber that will handle deflections from brush better, and that will not require a second shot on a deer.

Huge emphasis on making ethical shots here. If you can’t take your time and set up an ethical shot, don’t take it.

The opportunity to shoot twice is always better than once.

As far as cartridge size, I've shot enough animals with my 6.5 to know that it's quite a bit more than I need for these shot opportunities. I shoot my rifles a lot, and there is no equal to a 223 when it comes to volume of practice.

As far as ethical shots, no argument there, except that with volume of practice comes a finely honed expectation of what you can do and what you can't, and it doesn't always take a lot of time to set up for those shots. If a person is slow and methodical about taking shots, this type of hunting is not going to work well for them.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR

I'd be curious what your recommendation would be. 0-80 yds, performance at the edge of legal shooting light, fast developing shot opportunities, moving animals at times (I don't shoot them running, but will shoot them walking).

I don't need versatility here, if I may shoot further I have other rifles that work just fine.

KenLee

WKR

Cause we wanna kill the whole herd !!!

KenLee

WKR
Echoing what was said above but that is correct in PA does not allow semi auto rifles for big game. A couple years back was the first year that they allowed semi auto shotgun for big game, and honestly it’s only a matter of time before the rifle will be allowed.

Im not big into rifle hunting as I prefer to not have as many people in the woods while hunting so I love archery season. However I have an 8.5” 300 blackout with a suppressor and red dot that I feel would be perfect for most of the hunting around me in wooded areas and the big woods with shots typically under 50 yards. Just can’t use it for hunting here in PA.
Yeah I'd bet there are alot of unhappy folks that want to take their pet ARs