Deep 6 system with Iron Will components

I'm thinking about trying the Easton Pro Comp arrow for hunting. I'm interested in the Pro Comp specifically because of the purported spine tolerances and the effects this might have on ease of tuning. I consider my bow tuned when I can group broadheads with my field points at 60yds. I understand there are archers more talented than I am that can get just about anything to tune but that's not what this question is about. I shot Deep 6 several years ago and loved the arrow flight but hated the inherent weakness in that system. I have since tried some of the outsert systems and found the tolerance issues and bending to be a PITA. So that leads me back to Deep 6. I'm specifically interested in folks' experience with the Deep 6 Iron Will Components: is this system durable enough to hunt with? I have not tired a SS outsert/sleeve combo so maybe that will solve the bending issue?

I shoot 28"/70lbs. My challenge with .204 is that after I load up my arrow (lighted nocks, wrap, 4 fletch 3" vanes) I don't love my trajectory at longer distances but I'm also tinkering with a .204 setup (I'll save those questions for another post.)

Beendare

WKR
CO,
Tuning in a hunting bow is all about NOT being under spined... and that all of your arrows and components are assembled perfectly straight. Thats it in a nutshell equipment wise...

Over spined arrows tune well with BH's and makes for a more durable hunting arrow.

_________

OP
C
No argument here! These are 300 spine arrows cut to 27" with a reasonable amount of "stuff" on the back to stiffen them up further.

Hoot

WKR
To answer your specific question, I use 50 grain inserts, 25 grain collars, 100 grain heads, I’ve shot 4 animals with them including through the scapula on a bull elk. I’ve always liked deep six and I like them more with IW components. I would be confident hunting anything in N America with them.

I will continue using them for some time I’d imagine...

OP
C
That's excellent. I killed one elk with my previous Deep 6 setup. He was quartering away and walked maybe 25yds to lay down and die so it's hard to argue with the outcome, but upon inspection my arrow had blown our the sidewall. Based on the shot angle I assumed it was the equipment and not the shoulder sheering it off but that's just a guess. Have you had any issues with arrow failure (in any circumstance) with Deep 6 under normal circumstances?

nphunter

WKR
I’ve killed three bucks and two bull elk with deep six 4mm arrows. I used A/C Injexions, regular Injexions and VAP. Zero issues with any of those setups, I’ve since switched to 5mm shafts and moved away from deep six due to the lack of broadheads.
I think that Pro Comp will be a great arrow, the A/C Injexion was one of my favorite arrows.

Zac

WKR
You can use Deep 6 effectively. Lot's of quality heads for them at this point. However I would not switch based solely upon weight. You can build just as light of a setup with certain 5mm shafts. The Black Eagle Rampage, and Victory RIP, and 3DHV allow you to put weight where you want.

OP
C
I shot Rampage for a few months several years ago and ended up switching from them because I broke two in a row on a 3D target. Shattered the front end and lost all confidence in the arrow. I've never had that happen before but up until that moment I loved them. I'm considering giving them another shot and reinforcing the front end with the IW components. I would explore what Victory has to offer but I'm under the impression that I can't order the Elite shafts online (but I'd be happy to be wrong here if someone knows how I can); I'm an hour from my bow shop and blowing up a Saturday morning to drive out there for arrows is a waste of my time.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I shot Rampage for a few months several years ago and ended up switching from them because I broke two in a row on a 3D target. Shattered the front end and lost all confidence in the arrow. I've never had that happen before but up until that moment I loved them. I'm considering giving them another shot and reinforcing the front end with the IW components. I would explore what Victory has to offer but I'm under the impression that I can't order the Elite shafts online (but I'd be happy to be wrong here if someone knows how I can); I'm an hour from my bow shop and blowing up a Saturday morning to drive out there for arrows is a waste of my time.
Lancaster has Elite

OP
C
I hit send to early. I agree with your point on weight for 5mm Zac. I'm just trying to understand what my options are on the skinny shafts while falling into arrow parameters I'm comfortable with. When I looked at Lancaster for the RIP TKO Elite and VAP TKO Elite I saw the "showroom only" tag but maybe they changed that. I'm biased against the regular RIP and VAP for no good reason.

nphunter

WKR
The RIP TKO Elite is a great arrow, I would still be shooting them if Victory didn't stop making them last spring, I ended up switching to Axis Match Grades. I will most likely sell my Axis and move back to a RIP TKO before next fall. My RIP's still look brand new after three years of shooting them, my Axis are starting to look pretty rough after one year. I built both with IW components and they are both great arrows, I just feel the victory is a better arrow than the Axis.

If your happy with a broadhead with D6 threads then the system is just fine, I have never had a failure due to the D6 system and I hunted with them since easton introduced the injexion up until two years ago.

Hoot

WKR
The only failures I have had with IW inserts and collars has been when I blew up the shaft after passing through the target or animal and hitting rocks or something hard

OP
C
The RIP TKO Elite is a great arrow, I would still be shooting them if Victory didn't stop making them last spring, I ended up switching to Axis Match Grades. I will most likely sell my Axis and move back to a RIP TKO before next fall. My RIP's still look brand new after three years of shooting them, my Axis are starting to look pretty rough after one year. I built both with IW components and they are both great arrows, I just feel the victory is a better arrow than the Axis.

If your happy with a broadhead with D6 threads then the system is just fine, I have never had a failure due to the D6 system and I hunted with them since easton introduced the injexion up until two years ago.
That's interesting. Thanks for the input. I'm going to take a closer look at Victory offerings.

OP
C
The only failures I have had with IW inserts and collars has been when I blew up the shaft after passing through the target or animal and hitting rocks or something hard
I don't plan on flinging them at cinderblocks on purpose so I'll take those failures when they come. Thanks Hoot

jr8fish

Lil-Rokslider
I use HIT inserts exclusively. They promote the best concentricity of arrow, insert, broadhead. This leads to better flight and easier broadhead tuning. The straightest (best tolerance) part of the broadhead (the shoulder) is directly aligned to the best tolerance part of the arrow, the inner circumference. In 2015 I used deep six hits with the injexions without collars and had several tips/broadheads that broke out the side of the shaft on hard impacts (inherent weakness of HIT inserts WITHOUT collars). Because of this in 2016 I started using HIT inserts in GT Kinectic Kaos for the purported durability of that arrow.. I would use the aluminum collars that came with the GT arrows and buy HIT inserts to install in them. This worked great and I was satisfied for several years but I'd always wanted to go back to a micro arrow. I refuse to shoot any sort of outserts/halfouts so because of the weakness of those side breakouts with the micro arrows and deep six HITs, I didnt go back. In early 2019 Ironwill released their steel collars and HIT inserts. The steel collar was the missing link that I needed to go back to shooting micro arrows with deep six inserts. I went with the GT Pierce Tour and started using Ironwill 25 grain deep six inserts with full length 25 grain collars, and now I will never look back. Thats the system I will always use. I truly believe that Ironwills insert system (HIT insert with collar) is by far the best insert system on the market. Those collars solve literally the only weakness of the deep six HIT insert in my opinion. It strengths up the only weakness of the system. With Ironwills system for micro diameter arrows you can have all the benefits of a micro arrow, great concentricity of arrow, insert, broadhead and fantastic durability. You get the cake and you get to eat it!!!

Since Ironwill released these in 2019 these are the animals I have taken with Ironwills deep six inserts and collars with ZERO negative experiences:

ADB7F83A-AC2B-458F-A1AB-C0F0509D6915.jpeg
AFB26DA1-DEB9-4582-876B-F1ADD4086E09.jpeg
E9C18D7D-3B91-43D4-BC46-185FED1A3F0A.jpeg

Attachments

• 1E1948C3-93E5-4B1E-940E-514832D92BD8.jpeg
    1E1948C3-93E5-4B1E-940E-514832D92BD8.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 2
OP
C
I use HIT inserts exclusively. They promote the best concentricity of arrow, insert, broadhead. This leads to better flight and easier broadhead tuning. The straightest (best tolerance) part of the broadhead (the shoulder) is directly aligned to the best tolerance part of the arrow, the inner circumference. In 2015 I used deep six hits with the injexions without collars and had several tips/broadheads that broke out the side of the shaft on hard impacts (inherent weakness of HIT inserts WITHOUT collars). Because of this in 2016 I started using HIT inserts in GT Kinectic Kaos for the purported durability of that arrow.. I would use the aluminum collars that came with the GT arrows and buy HIT inserts to install in them. This worked great and I was satisfied for several years but I'd always wanted to go back to a micro arrow. I refuse to shoot any sort of outserts/halfouts so because of the weakness of those side breakouts with the micro arrows and deep six HITs, I didnt go back. In early 2019 Ironwill released their steel collars and HIT inserts. The steel collar was the missing link that I needed to go back to shooting micro arrows with deep six inserts. I went with the GT Pierce Tour and started using Ironwill 25 grain deep six inserts with full length 25 grain collars, and now I will never look back. Thats the system I will always use. I truly believe that Ironwills insert system (HIT insert with collar) is by far the best insert system on the market. Those collars solve literally the only weakness of the deep six HIT insert in my opinion. It strengths up the only weakness of the system. With Ironwills system for micro diameter arrows you can have all the benefits of a micro arrow, great concentricity of arrow, insert, broadhead and fantastic durability. You get the cake and you get to eat it!!!

Since Ironwill released these in 2019 these are the animals I have taken with Ironwills deep six inserts and collars with ZERO negative experiences:

View attachment 252225
View attachment 252221
View attachment 252222
At the risk of leading the witness, this is exactly the type of experience I was hoping to hear about. Your micro journey sounds similar to mine complete with the sidewall blowouts and outsert frustration. I'm happy to hear the IW system is working for you. I'm still doing my homework but this is promising. Congrats on some great animals.

whitetail88arch

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using the titanium iron will collars on my FMJ injections. Can’t wait to switch to the .250 spine 4mm axis long range coming soon . But I have had better luck on mess ups/missed shots ever since using the collars. I just ordered some ethics stainless steel footers for my recurve on my axis arrows. I’ll be curious to see if I like that design as much as the iron wills. I doubt it but it was 40$ for 12 vs iron wills being around 40$ for 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only used the collars and was very happy with them. Very tough however I’ll be selling them due to an arrow change. The IW components are definitely quality.