Deer Camp Dinner Suggestions

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys, wanted some input/ideas on something. In a few weeks the MO firearms deer season will begin. I and bros-in-law and nephews will again be hunting our family property. We usually split up/share the dinner meal menu amongst the various members of the group. I'll be responsible for one evening meal. Have done this for a long time but wanted to see if any of you have any novel ideas on this, maybe something I've never thought of. Factors to consider are that we have a house w/kitchen including stove and oven and refrigerator/freezer available. We hunt until dark and are sometimes tied up with late-day deer kill tasks such as field dressing and hanging deer. No one really has time or desire to come back and prep from scratch a meal (and the hungry crew doesn't want to wait real long, either!). So for me, I (well, my wife!) prepare a meal ahead of time and freeze it; this could be something like stew, a pasta dish, casserole, etc. That would be thawed earlier in the day then reheated on the stove or in the oven.

So, let me hear some of your ideas for tasty supper dishes that can be put together ahead of time and then fairly quickly (say, within 30 minutes or so) prepared to eat.

Thanks in advance and good luck on your hunts and meal prep!

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Wild game (or reg meat) pot pies are always a hit. Easy to make a few ahead of time and freeze. Have it defrosted and throw in the oven on dinner night. Salad or whatever easy sides to go with and you’re good.

Since you have an oven, venison enchiladas from last year's kill. I always like to bring the animals back to their home. Venison enchiladas are easy to make but a little time consuming in prep, but you get that time back while they're cooking since they just sit in the oven. Everybody loves enchiladas except for Nazis so it's a good way to vet your other hunters to be sure they're not Nazis.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Elk chili, Pork Chile Verde. Home made of course. I'm pretty sure I posted both recipes in the cooking in the wild section. You can find the Pork chili verde, on "lets cook that" Utube

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
Pre-make a pan of lasagna. Once it's done, let it cool on top of the stove slowly. Then chill in the fridge overnight. Once it's chilled cold, portion it out into servings and pull the servings out. Place each serving in a vacuum sealed bag and vacuum seal and freeze. When you're ready to eat, fill a stock pot with water and bring the water to a boil. Once the pot is boiling, drop the frozen vacuum sealed lasagna into the pot. The lasagna will heat and steam and warm up inside the vacuum sealed bag in about 20 minutes for one pan. Each person chooses their serving, cut open the top of the bag, and pour it out on a plate and scarf it down. That's become out absolute favorite hunting meal. Zero cleanup, zero prep, you can sit around in your pj's and crocs while it heats through and you sip on your favorite ice-cold beverage.

We do this prep with lasagna, chicken alfredo, enchilada bakes, anything you can cook in a pan or a casserole dish. We've also done it with Hawaiian pulled pork, slow cooked salsa and chicken (for tacos/burritos), you name it we've probably tried it. We started doing it back in 2019 and I would say 90% of the meals we eat on a hunt are prepped like this. We just save the pot of water every night and reuse it night after night and just top it off a little. Very easy, very tasty, very low effort when you're tired at night.

JohnsIsl

FNG
Classified Approved

I make variations of this and am always happy with it.

We do the same thing. Freeze our meals for the entire 9 days. One of our favorites is chicken spaghetti. It's easy to warm up, has good protein and plenty of carbs for the next day adventures.