Deer hunting issues in Vermont

Good evening everyone
So I live in the third worst state for deer hunting (you guessed it, Vermont!), and I don’t know if anyone else who lives in VT has noticed a downtrend in the population or sign of deer in Vermont. I’m in WMU o which usually has a pretty good density in terms of Vermont hunting. I think the feed is pretty spread out this year as well, and I really don’t know how to hunt conditions like that effectively. I found a ridge with some scattered fruiting bitternut hickories and some fruiting red oaks, I don’t know if the deer really enjoy the nuts from the hickories because they are really bitter. Anyways, any tips on how to find a consistent spot would be very appreciated as I don’t usually like to go into a winter without meat in the freezer.
Thanks again

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm in the same boat. Everything is so spread out this year its been tough. I've seen two shooter bucks and not within 60 yards. I've seen more bears this year if that tells you anything. At this point in still hunting and calling many miles because the odds of seeing something pass by a certain spot this year are probably close to zero. Very few beach nuts and almost no acorns, it's going to be a tough winter for them. I can't be more help than that but still hunting has always produced for me, just more miles this year to connect.

Is Vermont normally considered a good state for whitetail ? It’s beautiful country

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
My season in NY is going to same way, I too have seen more bears than anything which is unheard of. I have not seen a single deer while sitting and still hunting has been nearly as bad. I am a few weeks in with seeing very little deer and not a single buck yet. I am seeing as much sign as ever but just no deer to go with it. Every time I check out a new spot I’m seeing nothing but other hunter activity, there seems to be a lot more people in the woods than there ever was so I’m sure that isn’t helping either.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
My season in NY is going to same way, I too have seen more bears than anything which is unheard of. I have not seen a single deer while sitting and still hunting has been nearly as bad. I am a few weeks in with seeing very little deer and not a single buck yet. I am seeing as much sign as ever but just no deer to go with it. Every time I check out a new spot I’m seeing nothing but other hunter activity, there seems to be a lot more people in the woods than there ever was so I’m sure that isn’t helping either.
Yeah, we went to New York because we need the meat in the freezer for the such high beef prices, so we went meat shopping up over there. We usually get like 2 deer on a 3 day trip, but this year I we saw like one or two, and all were out of range. We blamed it on the fact that there was standing corn less than a mile away from the private land that we hunt on, but we heard from the owner of the standing corn that there were no deer, and he was out hunting in Ohio! Is CWD killing more than usual, or is there some new disease?

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
Is Vermont normally considered a good state for whitetail ? It’s beautiful country
No, it’s pretty bad. We happened to be blessed with really good oak stands, and we usually do well compared to other Vermont hunters. But in the last two years, I’ve noticed a downtrend in how many deer we see Or harvest. I wonder if they started managing them differently.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
Well I'm in the same boat. Everything is so spread out this year its been tough. I've seen two shooter bucks and not within 60 yards. I've seen more bears this year if that tells you anything. At this point in still hunting and calling many miles because the odds of seeing something pass by a certain spot this year are probably close to zero. Very few beach nuts and almost no acorns, it's going to be a tough winter for them. I can't be more help than that but still hunting has always produced for me, just more miles this year to connect.
Ah. I’ve never been too good at still hunting, but that’s a skill I will have to learn. I might dabble in some tracking this year too. Are you hunting Vermont? I’m in WMU O.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, we went to New York because we need the meat in the freezer for the such high beef prices, so we went meat shopping up over there. We usually get like 2 deer on a 3 day trip, but this year I we saw like one or two, and all were out of range. We blamed it on the fact that there was standing corn less than a mile away from the private land that we hunt on, but we heard from the owner of the standing corn that there were no deer, and he was out hunting in Ohio! Is CWD killing more than usual, or is there some new disease?

Not that I’m aware of, we have never seen much to do with CWD in my area that seems to be more south of us that it’s an issue. Our deer population has been on a steady decline over the past 5 years but we have always managed to find some deer. We actually had an exceptional buck harvest here last year among the family but this year deer in general seem to be non existent. All of my good spots where I always seem to at least see a couple of deer have come up dry every time so far this season.

There does seem to be more clear cutting happening since covid so the habit is seeing a big change but in the areas we hunt there is little to no logging activity so I can’t use that as an excuse.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Are you still allowed to hunt any private property that isn't posted in Vermont? When I was a little kid my dad used to hunt some neighboring property down in Saxton's River and it wasn't a problem. That's been over 30 years ago and maybe the rules have changed.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
Are you still allowed to hunt any private property that isn't posted in Vermont? When I was a little kid my dad used to hunt some neighboring property down in Saxton's River and it wasn't a problem. That's been over 30 years ago and maybe the rules have changed.
Yes you still can.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
Not that I’m aware of, we have never seen much to do with CWD in my area that seems to be more south of us that it’s an issue. Our deer population has been on a steady decline over the past 5 years but we have always managed to find some deer. We actually had an exceptional buck harvest here last year among the family but this year deer in general seem to be non existent. All of my good spots where I always seem to at least see a couple of deer have come up dry every time so far this season.

There does seem to be more clear cutting happening since covid so the habit is seeing a big change but in the areas we hunt there is little to no logging activity so I can’t use that as an excuse.
Ah. Did NY change some management practices?

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Ah. Did NY change some management practices?
The only changes I know of is the zone where my house is now allows both buck and for harvest for muzzle loader and now. It used to be a buck only zone but they changed it in 2020, that really has not helped things. The doe tags are easier to get for the zone across the road now too, too many people that live down in town come up here to kill does and get their camp meat.