Deer in the Thorofare?

I have a hunt planned next year in the Thorofare. I’m wondering if it would be worth getting a deer tag with my elk tag? I’m hunting 1 on 1 with a guide for my 40th. Everything I see is about elk so what’s the deer hunting like? Thanks!

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up in Cody, never hunted the Thorofare but there are definitely a ton of mule deer in there. I'd say get the tag, I'd rather be able to go after a big buck with a tag in my pocket then see one and have to pass.

OP
E
Grew up in Cody, never hunted the Thorofare but there are definitely a ton of mule deer in there. I'd say get the tag, I'd rather be able to go after a big buck with a tag in my pocket then see one and have to pass.
I could also go early and hunt a day or 2 around the Cody area before my hunt

Scorpion

WKR
When is your hunt in the Thorofare? What outfitter are you going with?

The later the better for mule deer, as their numbers are heavily dependent on migration out of the park. I hunted mid September during archery into the general season and we did not see enough deer at that time to warrant a tag.

OP
E
When is your hunt in the Thorofare? What outfitter are you going with?

The later the better for mule deer, as their numbers are heavily dependent on migration out of the park. I hunted mid September during archery into the general season and we did not see enough deer at that time to warrant a tag.
I will be going early next year. 9/28-10/05 with Constant Conquest (formally known as Wyoming Expeditions I believe) I was thinking of just having the tag just in case and then possibly hunting somewhere around Cody if I didn't fill it. I believe the tag is good for a few of the units around there. Thanks, Eric

Scorpion

WKR
Yeah, Region F covers most of those units. If you can get access to some private around Cody you can definitely get one. Lots of resident herds down low. Most of the public in that area is primarily migration dependent with deer coming out of the park, won’t hurt to get a deer tag but I wouldn’t burn a bunch of points on it. You’ll definitely want to consider a wolf tag for the Thorofare.

OP
E
Thanks for the information. I’ll probably hold on to my deer tag for another season somewhere else. A Wolf tag is a great idea though. Thanks

BJP

FNG
Hunted unit 53 couple years ago end of oct. didn't buy a deer tag and saw a 180 buck the first morning, was the only good buck we saw but sure wish I'd bought a tag.

BJP

FNG
Hunted with John porter morning creek outfitters, had a good hunt shot a 340 8x8 bull.

OP
E
Wow that’s awesome. I can only hope to have the opportunity. I’ll be solo with a guide so that should help

BJP

FNG
Good luck some of the prettiest country I've hunted in saw 2 grizzly and a bunch of wolf tracks.