Deer tag in the same elk unit

Hey everyone, so I drew an archery elk tag in Oregon but also drew a deer tag for the same unit, I usually don’t focus on deer when I’m elk hunting, just curious if you guys think it’s worth the extra money to buy the extra deer tag just to have in my pocket. Thanks

87TT

WKR
If it's cheap, why not? If it is NR expense tag then Hell no. Soon as you go after or shoot a buck, the bull will show.

Why wouldn't you want both? I try to have an elk, deer, and bear tag in my pocket when I go to Colorado. If mountain lion was open I would have one of those too. Never know what you will see and it gives you options if the elk aren't around.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
I’m buying both. Hunting elk but if a deer comes up to me and tries to lick my salty goodness, he’s mine! Have fun!

Jonesan20

FNG
I am always distracted when I have multiple tags. I prefer to focus on one species at a time. It’s always hard for me to even think about taking the time to pack a deer out and get the meat taken care of when I could be hunting elk. That is just me though.

If cost isn’t an issue I’d get one just in case you stumble across a nice buck. You can still focus on elk but if you see a nice deer it’s sure be good to have a tag in your pocket.

Pick one. Hunting both at the same time is a distraction

It's kind of like, "should I have a grizzly tag in my pack during a sheep hunt?". If you can afford it, hell yes! Same principle applies here, to the elk/deer tag scenario. You never know when you might kill both.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Your financial position may be different than mine, but I'd want both tags in my pocket. Lots of overlap in terrain use for those two. I love having both when I can.

I'm in Colorado so I try to keep both in my pocket when I can. On extremely lucky years I manage to have either sex for both critters. I like having the odds of meat in my favor, the expense for in state tags is minimal for that, and it allows me to have days where I can hunt one area or another -- though habitats often overlap.

rob86jeep

WKR
Buy both. Many years in Colorado including this year I have both in my pocket.
And... contrary to most beliefs...
I most years fill both tags.
Just curious, but can you share your stories of filling both tags? I've hunted elk and deer but never had success trying to hunt both at the same time. It always seems like successful elk hunting strategy doesn't equate to successful deer hunting and vice versa.

OP
Z
I ended up buying both tags, and ate both of them haha. Was a bummer but I’m glad I got both tags in the end even though I didn’t fill them.