Define a ‘DIY’ Hunt

Randle

WKR
This is why these abbreviations are very valuable. Nobody really knows how you did it on your own or to what extent.
As stated above lets just hunt

Last edited:
As mentioned, 25 years, 100% DIY.
YARN | We're not worthy! We're not worthy! | Wayne's World (1992) Music |  Video clips by quotes | dcd4b47d | 紗

Love it!

Sorry fellas, being that Rokslide is a dedicated western DIY hunting site…I just figured you’d understand what Do It Yourself meant.

I guess with the current state of the world, getting coordinates and handouts is the new norm for DIY.

Kinda like chicks with dicks, I suppose.

Swamp Fox

WKR
In all seriousness to me a DIY hunt means you aren’t paying for a service. I don’t think paying for a transporter disqualifies you from DIY. Paying a ranch fee isn’t DIY ...

Huh?

Ignoring the fact that your first sentence and your second are contradictory, I'd like to focus on the idea that a ranch fee, trespass fee, or whatever you want to call it is a disqualifier for DIY.

This idea appears at least one other time earlier in the thread, and I don't see how it holds up to scrutiny.

However you managed to get on the land you hunt makes no never-mind to me.

Huh?

Ignoring the fact that your first sentence and your second are contradictory, I'd like to focus on the idea that a ranch fee, trespass fee, or whatever you want to call it is a disqualifier for DIY.

This idea appears at least one other time earlier in the thread, and I don't see how it holds up to scrutiny.

There are vast amounts of native land in Alaska that you have to pay a trespass fee to hunt. There is no difference in this land vs the state/federal/DNR land surrounding it. No fences to impede game. The game doesn’t prefer this native land over the adjacent land.
How does this disqualify from DIY?IMG_4165.jpeg

Huh?

My editing skills are subpar.

Happens when you type on a phone after eating an edible.

I don’t think paying a transporter to get you to a remote location disqualifies you from a DIY. All they are doing is giving you a ride.

To a purist, there is no such thing as a DIY. Unless there is nothing purchased being used.

If you disagree with me…that’s fine. I will not lose any sleep and I will continue to fill my freezer with DIY moose hunts.

Huh?

Explain what you mean? A trespass fee would be similar to a hunting club fee? A ranch fee would be where you are paying a ranch that preps the land for game?

I know there are hunting ranches down south. Their sole purpose is to make money off hunting. I’m thinking pig hunts. High fence hunting.

In Alaska there are times that you would have to pay a trespass fee to hunt native land. They don’t prep the land or provide food plots for you to hunt on. I don’t think that situation would disqualify one from DIy.

But I don’t really care what someone calls it. Hunting is hunting and some of us work harder than others. Some of us have more money than others.

Ethical hunting is more important to me.

Swamp Fox

WKR
I agree here as long as that land your paying to access has not been prepped by the person you are paying to increase your odds. I haven’t hunted lower 48 in 13 years.

And my hunting in lower48 was on our family property in GA.

When you wrote "ranch fee", I heard "trespass fee."

To me, a trespass fee is paid to access land that is not specifically manipulated for hunting.

If a "ranch fee" is different, then all bets are off.

mt100gr.

WKR
This is getting really deep!! Are these (yours? His? Hers?) fabled "DIYs" measured in inches, yards, miles or 25 year increments? ....and are there any supplements available to increase one's DIY?

...asking for a friend? (But I guess I can't tell him what I learn, because then it wouldn't be DIY....but maybe I'd be DIY'ing) Thanks in advance!

This is the point I disagree with.

If you located the area you want to hunt, without Sacawagea, say, I I don't see how paying for access or not paying for access has anything to do with DIY.

;)
I don’t think paying to access land would disqualify IMO. Ranch fees may not even be the correct term.

Glad we can have discussions without cussing each other out. And running to the corner to suck our thumbs as we hurl insults at each other.

Swamp Fox

WKR
I don’t think paying to access land would disqualify IMO. Ranch fees may not even be the correct term.

Glad we can have discussions without cussing each other out. And running to the corner to suck our thumbs as we hurl insults at each other.
(y)

Some people were raised right, and some weren't ... LOL

Good luck to you.

Jordano

FNG
Speaking of diy hunts, is anybody corner crossing in Wyoming yet? I had a game warden tell me it is still considered illegal, which surprised me considering the Elk Mountain case is under appeal but had previously ruled in favor of the hunters. I would have thought he would have said it is up in the air and do it at my own risk. Any attorneys have an opinion on the matter?

On that note, does anyone know of an ultralight ladder designed for corner crossing? There will certainly be a market for that, albeit a niche market, if the appeal is in favor of the hunters.

jdoyle243

FNG
What is your definition of a DIY (Do It Yourself) Hunt?
DIY to me practically defines itself... Do It Yourself. Your research/scouting, your own hunt plans, generally solo but not a requirement, no outside help during the hunt. If I'm going into a new area I will frequently ask folks I know if they have any helpful tid bits of information on that hunt, I'd consider that research that wouldn't boot you from the DIY class. Basically no guides in my mind.