Define a ‘DIY’ Hunt

I consider it still a DIY.
Knowing where the game are located is just a small part of hunting. Logistics are very important, and figuring out how to use gear, apps, maps, compass, etc. all plays a part.
I don’t agree, an opinion coming from a 100% DIY CO. archery hunter for 25 years.

If someone told me coordinates, roughly 80% of the work has been done for me, which doesn’t even sniff true DIY.

A float plane or bush plane just add another layer, of which someone else is working for you, for the end goal.

No discrimination or dismissals, just getting down to the nitty gritty of this buzzy ass bastardized phrase, DIY.

If you don’t Do It Yourself, it’s not DIY.

I don’t agree, an opinion coming from a 100% DIY CO. archery hunter for 25 years.

If someone told me coordinates, roughly 80% of the work has been done for me, which doesn’t even sniff true DIY.

A float plane or bush plane just add another layer, of which someone else is working for you, for the end goal.

No discrimination or dismissals, just getting down to the nitty gritty of this buzzy ass bastardized phrase, DIY.

But most game moves. A lot.
Just because it is at a coordinate one minute doesn’t mean it is still there. If you don’t know how to walk quietly, keep your scent down, get downwind of it, etc. then likely the game has left the area before you arrive. Then you have to use your skills in tracking, corridors, and so on to figure out where it went. No guide is helping you.

Some of you guys should really get out of your own way and enjoy the experience!

This reminds me of a meme I saw a while back!

”I ordered a DIY table kit from ikea…. bastards sent me a log and a chisel”

But most game moves. A lot.
Just because it is at a coordinate one minute doesn’t mean it is still there. If you don’t know how to walk quietly, keep your scent down, get downwind of it, etc. then likely the game has left the area before you arrive. Then you have to use your skills in tracking, corridors, and so on to figure out where it went. No guide is helping you.
I believe moose was the mentioned game in this DIY discussion?
Moose don’t move a lot.
Either way, I still don’t agree.

Scent?
I don’t think we’re on the same page.

Some of you guys should really get out of your own way and enjoy the experience!

This reminds me of a meme I saw a while back!

”I ordered a DIY table kit from ikea…. bastards sent me a log and a chisel”

As mentioned, 25 years, 100% DIY.

If you don’t think I’ve enjoyed the experience, of Colorado DIY archery starting 25 years ago, because of some meme you read on your computer-

You don’t know true DIY

As mentioned, 25 years, 100% DIY.

If you don’t think I’ve enjoyed the experience, of Colorado DIY archery starting 25 years ago, because of some meme you read on your computer-

You don’t know true DIY

I know it just fine and have plenty of experience myself! I’m just not one to wear it around like a badge of honor!

In all seriousness to me a DIY hunt means you aren’t paying for a service, however I don’t think paying for a transporter disqualifies you from DIY. Paying a ranch fee isn’t DIY nor is a guide. Asking for help on the internet isn’t a disqualifier either.

Did you scout (either on foot or E-scout) your spot?
Did you pull the trigger and process your game?
These things matter.

Sometimes I just gotta laugh at our online community.

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
Common mistakes that guys make when trying to go “true diy”

Store bought clothing or gear.

Using data from the state agency about herd numbers, draw odds, or even the published map of the gmu boundaries.

Driving to the hunt location instead of walking.

Getting information about hunting from the internet, books, or a hunting mentor at any point in their life. All ideas and tactics must be made up diy.

Using hunting pressure to influence where animals will be. If the animal you shoot has been bumped by another hunter at any point that season then you owe them credit for spooking the animal toward where you killed it.

#truediy