Defrost for UTV without heater?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Just curious if anybody's come up with a clever solution to keep your windshield defrosted and from fogging up. Just bought a Honda pioneer and I'm accessorizing it. Full glass windshield and soft cab. Was hoping to avoid putting a heater in for cost and difficulty of installation reasons. I'm not too worried about keeping myself warm.

My personal one has a plastic windshield that's easy to put on/take off. The best thing I've found is to keep it in the wall tent or back seat of the truck overnight and it's good to go for the morning.

The one we have at work is a glass windshield and a heater, it's more gooder.

Not a ton if experience in sxs specifically.
If the windows are glass i would rain x or ceramic coat them.

And for sure a cover/tarp at night will keep them from icing up.

Other then that you would probably want to run with windows wide open, plenty of ventilation and keep the temp same inside and out.

And I probably just start saving for the heater 😃

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
I helped a couple guys with rangers maybe 4 hours the first, three the second one. They were very thankful after Colorado.

I have the 801 UTV glass windshield on my Pioneer. They make a cover for traveling so you don’t get rock chips in the glass. I’ll put that cover on when it’s going to frost. Once you get moving the pioneers have enough drafts, you generally won’t fog up. I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting one of those diesel heaters and just figuring out a way to secure it in the bed.🛏️

Tmac

WKR
Get a portable 12 volt defroster. They plug into the cigarette lighter socket. Most have a mounting base and swivel around.

If you add anything that draws power, you may need to think about adding an additional battery with an isolator. Some accessories draw more power than the charging system can keep up with. They don’t have belts, but they do need full power to run the DCT.There is tons of information on the Pioneers in the interwebs.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I did a flip up windshield. On the frosted mornings I just have to bundle up and run with it open. Or hang my head out the side Ace Ventura style.
I have to ask. What is the point of a windshield if you open it or take it off when it’s cold in the morning? That’s the entire reason I even have one. Carry a shower squeegee to clear it frequently if you don’t want a heater. Better yet, put the heater/defrost in. You won’t regret it when you really need it.

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
For those of you that don't know the only heater that works well on a Honda pioneer with most windshields is the factory Honda heater. It's north of $1,000 and a 13-hour install according to friend of mine who works at the dealership. It's not that I'm trying to be cheap.

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Get a portable 12 volt defroster. They plug into the cigarette lighter socket. Most have a mounting base and swivel around.
Have you used any of these? They look have pretty marginal reviews on the ones I've seen. If you have any experience please recommend a specific model/ brand

For those of you that don't know the only heater that works well on a Honda pioneer with most windshields is the factory Honda heater. It's north of $1,000 and a 13-hour install according to friend of mine who works at the dealership. It's not that I'm trying to be cheap.
They might charge for 13 hours but there's no way it takes that long. These machines are so simple that you could tear one down to nothing and put it back together in 13 hours.

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
They might charge for 13 hours but there's no way it takes that long. These machines are so simple that you could tear one down to nothing and put it back together in 13 hours.
He's put multiple of them in and is one of my closest friends. He's not lying to me. It is a legitimate 10-hour plus job that requires disassembling most of the machine body work and electrical to fit everything in.

As long as you have a side window open to vent, I wouldn't think you would have much issue with it fogging up while driving.

I just cover the windshield prior to dew/frost on mine, like others said. I don't think the charging system on a utv is going to keep up with a 12v heater.

jimh406

WKR
Besides a heater or some type of heater...most UTVs have some heat coming in from the engine if your cab is enclosed.

I open a side window to keep mine from fogging while underway. You can apply anti-fog like people put on snow goggles to help on the inside. Waxing the outside or similar coating will help snow come off. To keep from having frost on it, cover it at night.

Also, if you have people in the front talking that can cause a lot of moisture, and you'll need to have more air flow to prevent fogging.