Delorme SE or Explorer

Terrapin

WKR
As far as I can tell, the Explorer adds a bit of crude gps functionality and nothing more. I already pack my phone with Trimble and a gps with topo and aerial photos. Anybody have $100 reason to go with the Explorer?

colonel00

WKR
Not really. I used an SE last year and sold it but passed on getting an Explorer for the time being. I was really hoping for Delorme to come out with a new generation. If I were to pick up another inReach, I would got back to an SE at this time. This is especially true in your situation if you are already going to carry a standalone GPS

MT_Wyatt

WKR
As far as I can tell, the Explorer adds a bit of crude gps functionality and nothing more. I already pack my phone with Trimble and a gps with topo and aerial photos. Anybody have $100 reason to go with the Explorer?

Andrew Skurka actually has a blog post on this very subject check it out.

I bought the Explorer b/c I didn't want to rely on my phone only for GPS (me just being paranoid, the phone kicks butt). I had a basic Etrex, and didn't want to buy another GPS with a an OnX chip simply because my phone has a WAY bigger/better screen. I got the OnX Android App for my phone, which is AWESOME. With the Explorer, you pair your phone using the Delorme App, which will overlay your position on a colored topo map. Not as good as the OnX map (topo & imagery)

BUT - you can't navigate to waypoints with OnX. The Delorme will do it, and is super accurate (like what direction you are facing for example). So I use the OnX map for hunting/terrain, and the Delorme App to message out and navigate if needed.

Hope that helps, I think it really depends on what you want to carry more than anything. Those InReach units are great, checking in with messages that have maps attached, and 2-way comms, super helpful.

gmajor

WKR
Bumping up this old thread because I'm going to replace my dedicated PLB with a Delorme. The messaging functionality is just huge.

Two questions: do steep mountain gorges mess with the ability for it to pick up signal? I know black timber does and that's fine, but wondering about river bottoms in steep country (I raft as well as hunt). Also, is the Explorer model enough to have basic "backtrack" GPS capability? I essentially use my current GPS to just drop waypoints and then navigate back to them. Can I do the same?

Thanks!

Trial153

WKR
Anyone hear about anything new for 2016? I am getting ready to pull the trigger but I will wait if a new model is in works

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the explorer model last elk season and it worked good with the text messages but would not send/receive if any canopy covered the sky view. But I was pleased with it and I got a discount from backcountry.com for 1st time buyer. So I opted to go with the explorer model. The gps worked ok too but I relied on my iPhone and garmin gps more. But for emergencies, the explorer worked to my liking. We almost slide off the road with the truck into a big ravine a couple of times due to the rain. So it was good to have the explorer ready since no cell service available. I would get it again. Good luck

Trial153

WKR
I am hoping I can eliminate my GPS and just run the Explorer and my IPhone. I don't know if that is feasible, depends on the functionality of the Explorer

In my opinion it does not replace a stand alone gps. I use it just for comms. I have had 100% success with message send and receive even in moderated cover. I have no regrets.

weaver

WKR
I carry an explorer and use back country navigator on my android phone. Has worked well for me the last few years.

gmajor

WKR
Still torn on SE vs explorer. I just use an etrex 20 currently for my gps, without any special maps loaded onto it, so I'm only using it to navigate back to waypoints. Hmmm

Unless your in a hurry I would wait and see if they run another rebate offer. I think it was in July when I got mine. It seems like they do one around the holidays and then mid year.