Denver Area Relocation Advice

Eagle

WKR
Hey Rokslide, need some help from the Denver area members. It looks like I'll be moving my family to the Denver metro in early February (I think, don't have an official start date yet). I have an 8 month old son and 4 year old daughter that will be old enough to start kindergarten in the Fall, the wife works from home as a seamstress/interior decorator.

The wife and I are currently a little overwhelmed with the housing market out there, but have some area's we are looking at more closely than others (Castle Rock and Parker mainly). I'll be working downtown for the first two years I'm there, and then from home full time after my two years of commuting is done, so while the commute matters, it's not a deal breaker. I know my company will provide free rail passes (and I know the closest rail station is Lincoln for both Parker and Castle Rock), but if I leave early enough in the am, I may just drive and park (if the company will pay for parking of course).

With the commute in mind, I'm not seeing much of a difference in Parker and Castle Rock (looks like about 5-10 minutes difference in commute time). We're hearing Parker is more developed, but Castle Rock is also actively growing.

Main things we're looking for are good schools (we know Cherry Creek and Douglas County are 1/2) and neighborhoods that are "master planned" with parks, trails, pools, etc to keep the kids active and entertained with the lack of yard most homes out there have.

Max budget is $450k, which will have us squeaking into most of the areas we've looked at (Stepping Stone in Parker, Terrain in Castle Rock).

Main question for y'all, is there any other area's we should be looking that we may have overlooked, given our criteria (great schools, master planned, amenities near by)? Anybody have insight on the market? All indications are that it will continue to grow for the foreseeable future, but anytime I see huge increases in home prices over short periods it makes me ultra nervous.

Appreciate any and all advice y'all may have to offer.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All indications are that it will continue to grow for the foreseeable future, but anytime I see huge increases in home prices over short periods it makes me ultra nervous.

I hear you on that one. It really feels like a bubble out here but "they" claim isn't not due to the high influx of people and also the MJ industry is pumping cash into real estate as something to do with their profits. But "they" also claimed 05-07 wasn't a bubble too...

Foldem

WKR
Eagle, I'm up NW in Arvada and I think it meets what you are looking for. Good schools in West Jeffco and closer to the mountains as well. The cost is likely going to be an issue depending on what you're looking for size-wise. That commute from the South to downtown can be a nightmare depending on what time you're coming in and going out. I try to avoid heading that way in the evenings if I have any option. Send me a PM if you want to chat more on specifics.

sndmn11

WKR
The Arvada, Golden, Littleton/Ken Caryl area may be something to look into. There is a light rail station at Mineral for the latter, and west line for the first two.