Depot Bay fishing

KID

FNG
Heading to the Oregon coast in June and looking for a day trip charter out of Depot Bay. Anybody have any suggestions?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Don’t know about the fishing but I assure you The Channel House has amazing accommodations, the Salty Dog great chowder and the wale watching on an inflatable with Carrie Newell is fantastic! Fish and eat crab too, but I can’t help you with that...

Oregon

WKR
Dockside or Tradewinds charters in Depoe.
June will see 3 different type of trips offered.
4-5 hour nearshore rockfish trip(probably what you're looking for) around $100
6-8 hour Long Leader rockfish trips(bigger limit but not as fun, deep water heavy gear) around $150
Or Halibut. Limit is one and it's a 10-12 hour trip. Probably $250 or so.

On the rockfish trips they also put out crab pots(extra fee if you want to partake).

Shallow water rockfish is a fun trip and good price. Book ahead of time, most charter boats fill up fast.

OP
K

KID

FNG
Dockside or Tradewinds charters in Depoe.
June will see 3 different type of trips offered.
4-5 hour nearshore rockfish trip(probably what you're looking for) around $100
6-8 hour Long Leader rockfish trips(bigger limit but not as fun, deep water heavy gear) around $150
Or Halibut. Limit is one and it's a 10-12 hour trip. Probably $250 or so.

On the rockfish trips they also put out crab pots(extra fee if you want to partake).

Shallow water rockfish is a fun trip and good price. Book ahead of time, most charter boats fill up fast.
Rockfish and crab, sounds great thanks for the info

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to the Oregon coast in June and looking for a day trip charter out of Depot Bay. Anybody have any suggestions?
Did this very thing this past summer with my 8 year old son. After a little research, I booked with F/V Tacklebuster out of Dockside Charters. Captain and crew were great and treated my son very well, especially since he was the only kid on the boat (and he outfished nearly everyone!) Went home with limits of rockfish and a half dozen crab as well.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Suggestions above are all valid - kind of the typical 6-pack charters.
Did Yaquina Bay this summer - boats were large and thus more folks but that was not a bad thing and all went well. Crabs and fish for all. We placed & pulled pots so had a hand in the harvest [and it was not assisted pulling!].
Done the Depoe Bay out of Tradewinds a couple of times - once with Tacklebuster [who, as mentioned, fishes under Dockside now apparently]. Same result - good time and all went well; were smaller boats and truer 6-packs at the time. We did not do crabs but that was possibly due to way higher fish limits back then - now the limits are well reduced including species specific.
Each charter option has fish cleaning available for tips/fees and crab cleaning/cooking.
You might consider looking at actual local guides or Dory's [though Dory's are specific to Pacific City] - not sure out of Depoe but there are some at Tillamook and Wheeler that can run nearshore halibut trips - all within site of the beach; then they finish with rockfish and crab as the time usually allows since they are not traveling out to the all-depth fishery. Special tags required for halibut.
Depoe is a cool trip and shooting the gap to the blue can be quite exciting depending on conditions/tide!
Have fun and if you have ANY potential seasickness issues, get a patch or go the Bonine OTC route - laying on deck and chumming for fish will suck. Also keep your eyes peeled for gray whales!

Final note, years ago there were some challenges with licensing tourists out of Tradewinds; things were resolved and ownership shifted but be aware this brought the topic to the top and enforcement stepped up - there is also online licensing now available [make sure your apps are loaded in case you lose service if tagging is required]: The Oregon Newspaper Article

PM if you want company. Maybe a few of us can meet up.

Reactions: KID
OP
K

KID

FNG
Suggestions above are all valid - kind of the typical 6-pack charters.
Did Yaquina Bay this summer - boats were large and thus more folks but that was not a bad thing and all went well. Crabs and fish for all. We placed & pulled pots so had a hand in the harvest [and it was not assisted pulling!].
Done the Depoe Bay out of Tradewinds a couple of times - once with Tacklebuster [who, as mentioned, fishes under Dockside now apparently]. Same result - good time and all went well; were smaller boats and truer 6-packs at the time. We did not do crabs but that was possibly due to way higher fish limits back then - now the limits are well reduced including species specific.
Each charter option has fish cleaning available for tips/fees and crab cleaning/cooking.
You might consider looking at actual local guides or Dory's [though Dory's are specific to Pacific City] - not sure out of Depoe but there are some at Tillamook and Wheeler that can run nearshore halibut trips - all within site of the beach; then they finish with rockfish and crab as the time usually allows since they are not traveling out to the all-depth fishery. Special tags required for halibut.
Depoe is a cool trip and shooting the gap to the blue can be quite exciting depending on conditions/tide!
Have fun and if you have ANY potential seasickness issues, get a patch or go the Bonine OTC route - laying on deck and chumming for fish will suck. Also keep your eyes peeled for gray whales!

Final note, years ago there were some challenges with licensing tourists out of Tradewinds; things were resolved and ownership shifted but be aware this brought the topic to the top and enforcement stepped up - there is also online licensing now available [make sure your apps are loaded in case you lose service if tagging is required]: The Oregon Newspaper Article

PM if you want company. Maybe a few of us can meet up.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like Tradewinds is a good choice. I got my license online a few years back and it was easy , saved the hassle the day of...I Always use Dramamine no matter how tough I think I am LOL!
What boat did you fish in Garibaldi??
We fished on the Northwester with Girabaldi charters. We limited out on rockfish and I think helped some others on the boat as well...we had some pukers lol! Also got a sack full of crab and an awesome boat ride in the process. Girabaldi charters did a great job the crew was top notch. We will obviously be south so hopefully get a similar experience with another charter.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
We fish with my uncle out of Depoe every year. Just know all of the charters fish the rocks/reefs to the north up by Lincoln City if you bottom fish. Definitely go with a charter out of Depoe Bay not Yaquina (Newport) because they fish the same places and it will be a shorter run which means more fishing less boating.
Also, If you have your own fishing gear and the physical means go to the end of the south Jetty in Newport and you can fish off it as well. It can be very productive if you fish the tide properly. (I want to say low slack was the best but can't remember.) I suggest looking up ifish.net and look around on there in the Salty Dog forum and you'll find years of information on that area.

My wife and I used 1.5 oz jigs with Pink/white gulp grubs and caught a pretty good pile of bass and finished the evening at Rogue Brewery.
Saw a kid walk out there and fish off the bottom with a whole squid and pulled up a giant Ling cod and as a bonus we also saw whales and porpoises while out there. Have a great trip.

wapitibob

WKR
Do not use tradewinds, they're a sketchy outfit that got pinch by ODFW a while back

I went with Yaquina Bay last year, lots of fun. Went a few weeks ago with Dockside out of Depot; they catch bigger fish and way more lings that yaquina did. Going again in a cpl weeks. Almost everybody on the Dockside boat was a regular. Plenty of places to stay in Lincoln City.

Wingnutty

FNG
Fished out of Depot bay 3-4 years ago on one of the charters, I think tradewinds. Rock fish and crab pots in may. Was a good time. One of the nice things was that we literally fished within sight of the bay and did well for both rockfish and crab. Pretty much always catch your limit on any halfway decent rock fish trip no matter where you go out of imo and this was no different but the nice thing was it was just a short boat ride and quick trip as we had 4 kids under 10 on the boat and a few of them were green and chumming, lol. I’d recommend the trip without reservation and wouldn’t really say you should drive any further to get on a boat out of a different marina if all you’re after is rockfish.

OP
K

KID

FNG
We booked with dockside, sounds like we will be getting a great trip! Thanks for the info everyone