Derailed/Dry Fired my bow tonight. I'm nauseated.

I bought a beautiful Prime Alloy 6 weeks ago. We've been inseparable since. I've shot 50-150 arrows a day since the day I got it and love it so much.

This evening while shooting, I failed to nock my arrow fully. As I drew back and settled in to fire, the arrow dropped off the string and slid forward in the rest. I was already applying pressure to fire and as I went to let down I inadvertently bumped the release and dry fired the bow. The cams are derailed and I can't tell what, if any other damage has been done.

Can anyone tell me that this has happened before and not ruined the bow? I've been training and prepping so hard for this hunt. I don't have a backup bow and I'm praying that I won't need to replace much as I don't have the money. I'm sick to my stomach.

charvey9

WKR
I'm no expert, but you could be OK. I would think that the riser/limbs would be alright, but check for cracks or stress marks. Derailing transfers a lot side torque onto the cams, which is what causes the string to derail and can do damage. Look for stress marks on the cams where the string came off, if the cam warped you should see marks or might see some discoloration of the metal where it was bent. If the string didn't snap, its still probably a good idea to get a new one of those also. If you have a good bow-tech, its always best to have them look at it.

I know this sucks. I had a similar thing happen last year. I unknowingly shot an arrow with a cracked knock. It was getting dark, raining and I wasn't really paying attention. Just wanted to get a few more shots in. On release, the string severed the knock and essentially dry fired. String snapped, and bow derailed. I did not notice it at the time, but did warp the bottom cam in the process. Eventually I noticed, and had to have the cams replaced. Fortunately, Hoyt has excellent customer service and warrantied replacing the cams. Hopefully Prime is as good to deal with if it comes to that.

Dont mess with this . Take to most trusted bow shop tech and let them take over. Son did same thing and at first we thought just new string cable. First drawback exposed damaged wheel and limb. You certainly dont want an exploding bow,

OP
R
Thanks CHarvey9.

I took it to Cabela's for a preliminary inspection today and to have them get the strings back on the cams so as to prevent further damage. I'm going to take it to the shop where I purchased it tomorrow and have them go through it thoroughly. As of right now, if there is any damage it's going to be very difficult to see with an untrained eye such as mine. The shop I go to is top notch and I'll trust their word for what needs replaced or repaired.

charvey9

WKR
Thanks CHarvey9.

I took it to Cabela's for a preliminary inspection today and to have them get the strings back on the cams so as to prevent further damage. I'm going to take it to the shop where I purchased it tomorrow and have them go through it thoroughly. As of right now, if there is any damage it's going to be very difficult to see with an untrained eye such as mine. The shop I go to is top notch and I'll trust their word for what needs replaced or repaired.

Right on. Thats the way to go. Cabela's, or any other chain store, can be real hit or miss on bow-tech experience. Best take it to the bow shop.

OP
R
Took my bow in to the pro shop as soon as they opened on Monday morning. It ended up having zero damage and has been shooting fine. Lesson learned. Thank God it was inexpensive.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow! Thank goodness it ended up being alright. This stressed me out and its not my bow and I don't even know you Lol . I'm sure glad it worked out ok for you.

Good for you. Hope your not as anxious as I would be shooting that bow, makes me flinch just thinking about it

if it makes you feel better I forgot to put the stops back on my cams after switching out limbs last week. Locked her up, then a cable blew out taking my cams and bow master press with it. Cost me new strings/cables and cams.

it happens. You wont do it again... maybe

joe

id450

WKR
I learned my lesson 3 days before the season. I let a friend try to shoot it. Destroyed serving, bent the cam and blew out the stop. Luckily the Archery shop fixed it luckily
Split. I think I actually hurled before I passed out ??