Determine Land Owner Contact

bozeman

WKR
Are there any online services that are free or are all 'pay for info' type when you are trying to find landowner information? Its vacant land, no address, just undeveloped land............I need contact info for some land I have an interest in purchasing, but the 'caretaker' is not being friendly with info........

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
See if the country the property is in publishes their plat maps online. Otherwise, you'll have to make a trip to the assessors office.

Also just found this: https://www.platmaps.org

OnX and Gaia have ownership information, but require a subscription.

In AL?? Just hit up the County Clerk, or as above use the county GIS. I've learned more about property through a county GIS than the people selling it. After talking to a planning department about property, easement, ROW questions I had the county lady ask me if I wanted a job. o_O

TaperPin

WKR
Unfortunately, it’s still legal to have an undivided interest split between many, sometimes dozens of individuals. Essentially nothing can be done without everyone agreeing. I inherited a chunk of Wyoming, but it‘s an undivided split with 8 others, and if they pass away that number can grow. I finally figured the hassle wasn’t worth the potential reward and gave my portion to my sister.

It’s very very unpopular when someone in government talks about a law to take the land and essentially cash out the individuals. Hopefully some day something will be done about it, but it hasn’t happened yet.

If there are property taxes in the area that doesn’t necessarily help much - often times one of the partial owners will pay the taxes, but still nothing can be done with the land.

I bet the “caretaker” is a partial owner and they are able to have full use of it, so it’s more valuable for it not to be sold.

Are there any online services that are free or are all 'pay for info' type when you are trying to find landowner information? Its vacant land, no address, just undeveloped land............I need contact info for some land I have an interest in purchasing, but the 'caretaker' is not being friendly with info........
The tax assessors website for the county will have their mailing address, so you can send a letter.

WKR
Google search ---> xxxxxx county gis ---> parcel viewer ---> click on parcel ---> some variation of "view parcel report" or "tax assessment data"

Some states have statewide parcel maps and some townships have their own. Just takes a little searching.

Some places don't publish the info. If its not published, OnX wont have it either. In that case just get the legal description and call the county clerk and ask.