Dew claws

oake

Lil-Rokslider
So I tried the search function and didn’t come up with much in regards to dew claws.

Our family made the decision to add a female lab to the mix and we just picked her up today. Her dew claws are still intact and I’m wondering if I should consider putting her through having them removed. I’ve been a lab owner in the past, he had his removed. Pre-children, my wife and I along with the help of our Weimaraner's brought 3 litters into the world, all had their dew claws removed.

I live on the east coast and plan on bird hunting around 10 - 20 days per year. I would say 6 - 10 days of heavy hunting. I also plan on taking her out and about checking for sheds with the kids.

I’m excited to be a pet owner again and just want to make the best decision for her.

Trial153

WKR
I take all the rear dew claws off my hounds. I remove them myself on day three. I have bought hounds that didn't have them removed and in those cases I removed them. I either banded them off or cut them and put a stitch or two in.
The only one that I didn't remove myself was because it felt like there was bone through it and I wanted it removed then cut flush.

So yes I would remove them.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
At this point I would personally consider leaving them. It's more a traumatic amputation once the newborn pup gets past its first few days in which its sensory functions are not as fully developed. I wouldn't be inclined to put my dog through it. Some may have other opinions but there is not much, if any, down side to leaving them.

I bred and ran labs in field trials for 15 years, they should have been removed when they were a few days old but I would rather the dog not have them then have one get half ripped off, blood everywhere and having to stop a hunt, control bleeding then worry about infection and not being able to hunt my dog... based on having seen a dew claw ripped off later in life my answer is yes, it ain't fun.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
At this point I would personally consider leaving them. It's more a traumatic amputation once the newborn pup gets past its first few days in which its sensory functions are not as fully developed. I wouldn't be inclined to put my dog through it. Some may have other opinions but there is not much, if any, down side to leaving them.

I don’t want any animal to suffer but “traumatic” for us is a completely different thing to animals... yes even beloved Fluffy.

I’ve had dogs injured while hunting that looked like they should be dead and yet keep on hunting until they’re forced to stop.

Nip the claws and avoid problems in the field. Enjoy the few precious days we actually get out to watch them work.

Hope I’m not sounding cruel but something in our world/culture has started putting animals in some sort of realm beyond their place on this planet.

OP
oake

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the responses everyone. I think we’re going to have them removed.

I’d be pissed that the breeder didn’t remove them but at this point I’d talk it over with the vet and then decide.