Supplements for Bird Dog

Chuckybmd

WKR
After reading a post regarding dog feed. I thought I would ask a question regarding dog supplements. I have a 18 month old yellow lab.

She’s a great hunter very obedient. I want to do my best to stay ahead of joint health. Im exercising her regularly, keeping her weight down.

Curious if there’s any major benefit to glucosamine and MSM supplements. Right now I’ve been giving multivitamin max strength chews by pet honesty.

Curious, if anyone else had useful advice or opinions regarding these type of supplements. Am I wasting my money? Are there better supplements? What is everyone else using?

I’m hoping her to be as healthy as I can help her to be and avoid future joint issues.

sacklunch

WKR
Yes, there is proven benefit. Cosequin (2 pack from costco) for the younger/healthier pups, then I switch to Dasequin in older pups who get a little achy with just Cosequin.

We also give Origins 5 in 1 topper as well as the Costco brand fish oil, helps keep whole body inflation down, same thing that humans get from non-grass fed meats not high in omega 3/6

It ain't cheap but assuming neither was your lab.

After reading a post regarding dog feed. I thought I would ask a question regarding dog supplements. I have a 18 month old yellow lab.

She’s a great hunter very obedient. I want to do my best to stay ahead of joint health. Im exercising her regularly, keeping her weight down.

Curious if there’s any major benefit to glucosamine and MSM supplements. Right now I’ve been giving multivitamin max strength chews by pet honesty.

Curious, if anyone else had useful advice or opinions regarding these type of supplements. Am I wasting my money? Are there better supplements? What is everyone else using?

I’m hoping her to be as healthy as I can help her to be and avoid future joint issues.
In humans the evidence does not suggest much benefit.
Not sure how this translates to dogs.

I, like you, wants to keep my hunting dogs joints healthy. I give them dog food that contains glucosamine/chondroitin.

Vet will chime based on animal studies?

sacklunch

WKR
In humans the evidence does not suggest much benefit.
Not sure how this translates to dogs.

I, like you, wants to keep my hunting dogs joints healthy. I give them dog food that contains glucosamine/chondroitin.

Vet will chime based on animal studies?
I'd buy that, studies are hit or miss, but most involve treatment of pain/arthritis, not preventative measures...however anecdotally, I do notice older dogs limp a bit less getting up from a nap with dasequin vs with nothing.

That said, if funds were tight, I'd spend my $$ supplementing with fish oil or a topper to help keep overall inflammation down

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Our vet said no glucosamine until 6-7 years of age. We also give 2 fish oil a day to each dog.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Did he reference a study or gove a reason for his recommendation on that? I've never heard that before, genuinely curious.
I don’t remember but I will ask next time I am in the office. One thing I will say though is that the glucosamine in an older dog seems to work better when administered only in older age than I remember it helping my previous dog who started taking it between 2-4

I view supplements for dogs the same way I view them for people.

The first step is eating/feeding the best food possible. So make sure that you are feeding your lab the highest quality food you can afford and test out different brands to see what works best for your dog. Then, if you still want to give supplements, maybe add on cosequin or dasequin for joint health when they get older.

Otherwise supplements on top of a bad dog food is just putting lipstick on a pig.