Dial sights - hunting application?

Echo

FNG
For the last 7 or so years I’ve been using a simple 5 pin Black Gold rush. It’s been great but it’s a simple fixed 5 pin sight. Maybe no need to upgrade but I’m curious to learn more about the other styles of sights out there.

I’ve been thinking of upgrading and I’ve seen a lot of ‘dial sights’. Who has used them for hunting and what are the benefits/drawbacks?

Finally - what would y’all recommend for a new sight?

NYSKIER

WKR
I’ve got a five pin slider and love it. Only use the slider on shots 50 and greater for game but love practicing out far. I think it’s the best of both worlds! Lots of threads on here about sliders S&S is a sponsor. I’d give them a ring and they can walk you through everything

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I run a BlackGold verdict that has the slider.. I run 4 pins so don't really need to dial during during a hunt. It definitely helps my hunting ability being able to dial to 80 yards and practice... Black gold made the newer version sights so you can have 2 yaradage indicators. It's a game changer now I can dial top and bottom pins.

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
I’ve got a five pin slider and love it. Only use the slider on shots 50 and greater for game but love practicing out far. I think it’s the best of both worlds! Lots of threads on here about sliders S&S is a sponsor. I’d give them a ring and they can walk you through everything
Great advice - thank you!

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
I run a BlackGold verdict that has the slider.. I run 4 pins so don't really need to dial during during a hunt. It definitely helps my hunting ability being able to dial to 80 yards and practice... Black gold made the newer version sights so you can have 2 yaradage indicators. It's a game changer now I can dial top and bottom pins.
thanks for the tip - I’ll take a look at their newer sights.

Legend

WKR
For the last 7 or so years I’ve been using a simple 5 pin Black Gold rush. It’s been great but it’s a simple fixed 5 pin sight. Maybe no need to upgrade but I’m curious to learn more about the other styles of sights out there.

I’ve been thinking of upgrading and I’ve seen a lot of ‘dial sights’. Who has used them for hunting and what are the benefits/drawbacks?

Finally - what would y’all recommend for a new sight?
Option 8s with 4 fixed. Nothing else like it.

87TT

WKR
Get the MBG Assent Vertict. Same housing and every thing as the Rush. I like the dovetail with the third axis adjustment. I have them on two bows and the Ruxh on the backup backup bow.

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily archery hunt moose and some for whitetail.
I was a spot hogg hunter fixed 5 pin guy for 10+ years.
Switched last summer to a fast Eddie XL triple stack.
I loved the new sight for practice, fit and treestand deer hunting.
Not sure how I’m gonna like it when I have a bull past 40 and have to adjust it in the heat of the moment.
Might not be a big deal… just haven’t had to do it yet.
Definitely like the sight picture better.

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently using a 2 pin Fast Eddie XL and I loved it until I got into situations where I needed to make last second adjustments due to the animals moving, which apparently tends to happen a lot when I'm at full draw. I realized I relied on the sight tape too much and needed to learn my arrows trajectory, aka pin gapping,more so I could adjust my aim at full draw without letting down and re dialing

madgrad02

WKR
Will start by saying I love a slider sight... currently running an hha king pin single pin slider (and supporting a wisconsin company). That being said I missed (what would've been) my biggest buck to date last year due to having the yardage incorrect. Had pin set for 35 yds (max distance I had to shoot) and after seeing multiple doe follow a trail at that distance, wasn't ready for the buck that didn't read the script and came in at 10yd on a bee-line... buck fever took over. 😪 gave him a haircut across his back. Will add that I am currently on the heavy arrow train (~632gr) so I do have some significant pin gaps at distance, so may work up some new arrows here in the 525-550gr range maybe.

That said, looking into a multi pin slider like a spot hogg triple stack... don't like a bunch of pins messing up sight picture.

Last edited:
OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
I primarily archery hunt moose and some for whitetail.
I was a spot hogg hunter fixed 5 pin guy for 10+ years.
Switched last summer to a fast Eddie XL triple stack.
I loved the new sight for practice, fit and treestand deer hunting.
Not sure how I’m gonna like it when I have a bull past 40 and have to adjust it in the heat of the moment.
Might not be a big deal… just haven’t had to do it yet.
Definitely like the sight picture better.
Great feedback - thank you. I imagine the sight picture is the big win with fewer pins. I’ve loved my rush but the sight picture does feel crowded - especially with my lower ranged pins so close together.

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
Will start by saying I love a slider sight... currently running an hha king pin single pin slider (and supporting a wisconsin company). That being said I missed (what would've been) my biggest buck to date last year due to having the yardage incorrect. Had pin set for 35 yds (max distance I had to shoot) and after seeing multiple doe follow a trail at that distance, wasn't ready for the buck that didn't read the script and came in at 10yd on a bee-line... buck fever took over. 😪 gave him a haircut across his back. Will add that I am currently on the heavy arrow train (~632gr) so I do have some significant pin gaps at distance, so may work up some new arrows here in the 525-550gr range maybe.

That said, looking into a multi pin slider like a spot hogg triple stack... don't like a bunch of pins messing up sight picture.
Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear about the missed buck. You’re just letting him grow one more year before going after him next season 😉

madgrad02

WKR
Haha - right... I own a little under 3ac but at least once per season I do the "kids, watch TV" as I see one sneaking through the yard and hurriedly try to poke one from the deck in the backyard! Subdivision bucks

JBF92

FNG
Most modern bows can push beyond the 50 yard pin, the slider allows you to do that accurately. Plus shooting out that far for practice is just plain old fun, and makes you a better shot at closer distances

90% of my hunting is sub 35 yards... 2 Pins are all I need. most of the time. I bought the slider so I can do 3d shoots and if I get lucky enough to draw a western archery hunt

87TT

WKR
I use the MBG 5 pin Verdict. I don't ever plan on using the slider while hunting unless it is a follow up shot. I shot a young bull at less than 10 and he ran out to 100 and stopped on wobbly legs. I had time to dial up for a second arrow but it wasn't needed. It was a good feeling to know that I could make that second shot if needed though.

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
I use the MBG 5 pin Verdict. I don't ever plan on using the slider while hunting unless it is a follow up shot. I shot a young bull at less than 10 and he ran out to 100 and stopped on wobbly legs. I had time to dial up for a second arrow but it wasn't needed. It was a good feeling to know that I could make that second shot if needed though.
This is a great point. We have all been in hunting situations where a follow up shot may be needed to put an animal down quickly. With archery, that follow up shot can be challenging as the distance grows - this is a very good argument for a dial sight.