Diaphragm Call Disabled

Am I the only person who cannot seem to get the hang of these damn things. I try and try but cannot begin to develop a consistent range of sounds. Really FN frustrated. So many guys make it look so easy...I feel like the person who cannot whistle.

Have you watched any YouTube videos on it? I watched one a couple years ago that I’ll try to find. That video gave me a basic framework for trial and error practice that I did on my daily commute. Before you can develop any consistency, you have to get a complete seal of your palate with the tape. After that it’s just putting in the time and learning tongue position on the latex and pressure control. I’m no expert but I can’t imagine it’s much different for anyone else who figured it out

LaHunter

WKR
Corey Jacobson (Elk 101) has some youtube videos that you can check out with some 'drills' to yelp you get started making some basic sounds, and you can work up from there. Corey breaks it down to the basics and does a good job explaining it.

Hpchacrx

FNG
I have had a hard time i use i think its called a deer stopper for cow call. And a tube for bugling. I keep the cow call attached to my bino harness. Easy access

Can we assume you’ve tried a bunch of different types/sizes and tried trimming the edges if you can’t get a good seal?

I’m a relatively new caller and found the lighter/thinner latex diaphragms were a lot easier to get a sound out of. There are a ton of resources and YouTube videos out there, but I bet you’ve been down that rabbit hole too.

Not sure how to help you but I do think it’s totally normal to spend a lot of time trying before you get the hang of it. I have a few calls in my truck that I practice with during my commute... made the learning curve go by relatively quickly (kept the wife and dog sane too). Helps keep my calling sharp and my head confident knowing I can pick it up cold and make a good first sound, whether it be a cow call or bugle, chuckle, whatever.

That said, it took me HOURS of actual attempts to get anything that sounded like an elk, but it gets easier once you get those first good nasally cow calls. Stay positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I found that working on the bugle first made it easier to start learning cow sounds. Even just doing the grrr part of the bugle first a couple times made it easier to start getting some cow sounds when practicing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every diaphragm call is different........even if they look the same. They don't all fit the same. I can throw a Carlton's in and make every range of sound through the spectrum without even trying. But I tried one of his Native calls, and can't get squat out of it. They're the same size and everything. Same for some of the Phelps, I have to really work and force it to get the sounds.....instead of them coming easy and natural. Try as many as you can find. I also hate the palate plate versions, except for the Primos mini's, which I have for cow sounds.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted find the right call for you and in this case practice does make perfect try different pressures and slight adjustments with reed location back in the day 35 yrs ago I put them away for months then one day it clicked👍

ElkNut1

WKR
Bruce, do yourself a favor & pickup this Mastering Elk Calls DVD. We go into every detail on Reed sizing & use for each hunter. If you are serious about learning sir this will put you on the right track! In no time you will see what you need to adjust & remove all your frustration!
http://stores.elknut.com/mastering-elk-calls/

ElkNut/Paul

Btaylor

WKR
Maybe quit trying to make a call and just make sounds for a bit. Focus on making a clean note whether it is high low or middle range. You will hear it when you hit a clean note. Drill the sounds down as far as air flow and reed pressure. Then start putting that into making a call.

Maybe more importantly remember not very many people sound like championship level callers, a lot of elk dont either. Same is true of deer ducks and turkeys. Average sounds made at the right time with confidence and conviction call in more stuff than pitch perfect calling at the wrong time or without conviction.