Did Mountain House Change Their Recipes?

Man maybe I'm the odd man out but I love some Mountain House. It's hard to find one I don't like and I actually look forward to eating them. Ready Wise is a different story. I bought 2 cases when they were on sale at Costco and I've been taking a few per trip to try and choke down.

CorbLand

WKR
That could be it too. I had the new buffalo chicken, and the cheesy mac or something like that. Both were garbage. My old favorites were the beef stew, beef stroganoff, biscuits and gravy, turkey tetrazzini to name a few. I've liked the Peak meals, they are just twice and much and the portions are too big for me.
I don’t know if they still have it but they had/have a Mexican chicken one. It was dang good. I ate the whole thing one night and woke up the next morning with such bad heart burn I didn’t get out of the tent until 10 or 11. Quickly ruined that one for me.

I think our personal taste for these change with time. I used to love Beef Stew but the last one was really bland and the meat texture was pretty bad. This came from the same case I bought years before anything changed so it was likely the same lot.

Mountain House is all I bought as it seemed like the only choice for years without a heavy MRE. Branching out to the newer options I've found new favorites that have replaced some MH's in my pack. Used to think MH Mac and Cheese was good but after having the Backpacker's Pantry Hatch Green Chili Mac and Cheese I'm sure I may never buy another MH M&C. Beef Strog in Peak is superior to MH Beef Strog I've found. MH Chili Mac will still kill half your TP/Wet Wipe Supply.

I bought a couple Mountain house alongside Peak Refuel back in 2020. Every one of them tasted awful and gave me horrible indigestion, the Peak Refuel caused no such problems. I just threw away the last pack I had.

Rmfb

FNG
We used Mountain House this year and they were not too bad. Peak were way better though.

LostArra

WKR
That's the trend for most things these days. Make things smaller, make them cheaper, change them for the worse, and then charge even more for them.
aka Shrinkflation

pound of coffee? nope 12 oz
half gallon of ice cream? nope, either a pint or a third gallon

fuel is about the only commodity sticking with the original gallon and I expect that will go to liters or quarts when it hits $10 per gallon.

grfox92

WKR
Wanted to update this thread. Me and my hunting partner have been eating peaks all season and joking about how mountain house will ruin your guts.

Well last week he ate a Mountain House Beef stew, and since then he hasent shit in 7 days. Terrible cramps all night and most of the day. About ready to go to the hospital.

Was it the Mountain House? We will never know, but I'll tell everyone it was haha.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
Reading the responses, once you mentioned MH beef stew my mouth watered - that must be my favorite. Lol

Even the year before Covid, a cold or flu went around that was impacting taste buds - a lot of guys instantly thought Covid but tested negative, even to Covid antibodies.

Ever since then I’ve questioned strange tastes or smells - is it a lost smell coming back, or a newly lost one? Did a recipe change, or did I?

I do believe there are some cheaper alternative ingredients in the processed food industry - the frozen burritos in the purple bag have been a long time breakfast favorite, until some change in ingredients now tears up my stomach. The difference was night and day between one bag of burritos and the next. Same thing for chicken in a biscuit crackers - years ago they changed and I couldn’t eat them, now they’ve changed back and I can again. Whatever spice is in the new spicy pretzels kills me - I’ll literally have horrible heartburn for 24 hours and need 10 rolaids with just a handful, but lots of tobasco doesn’t phase me.

Jethro

WKR
I like Mountain House, some better than others. My supply is not recent, so if it changed I wouldn't know. I like Peak too, some better than others. I can say this past trip I ate a Peak Elk Ragu. It was the worst meal I've ever had from either company.

Extrapale

WKR
I have not noticed a change recently, but I think MH is way better now than it was 10-20 years ago. It's still my go to. I'm way too cheap to pay for the others.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I don’t get the Heathers Choice hate. Only meal I wouldn’t recommend is the Mole. But everyone’s got their own opinion and I think you’re a f’ing idiot if you’re eating biscuits and gravy, or any other BS flour and cheap meat meals from Peak or MH on a mountain hunt. Just used HC on a self supported solo mountain goat hunt and wouldn’t change a thing.

I eat well at home, and used to enjoy a MH.
This year, nope…could barely eat them.
Opened a pad Thai chicken and could only choke down 3-4 bites.

Folded it over and stuck it under a rock (you know, so the bear wouldn’t smell it lol)
3-4 days later while packing up camp I had to go get that mountain house.
When I opened it up to dump it, the second I got a whiff, the smell instantly made me vomit.
Super strange.