DIY Backpacking Meal: Chicken Fajita Bowl

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
As my backcountry habit has grown, so too has my exploration of lightweight, cost effective, satisfying end of day meals. The less pricey commercial options are lacking in nutrition and flavor (though they still can do the job), while the better tasting, more filling options can be costly for those tallying numerous days on the mountain. Ever the sucker for a project, I aimed to build freeze dried backpacking meals that are tasty and filling for under ten bucks each.

This post shares the first recipe I've deemed worthy of public consumption. Bottom line up front: I spent $8.55 per meal for 23 meals, including reusable, resealable mylar bags, each with 1022 calories, 53g of protein, 20g of fiber, 76g of carbs, 2400mg of sodium, and just under 80mg of fat, that tastes as good as any other freeze dried backpacking meal I've eaten, and collectively required less than 30 minutes to assemble.

If folks like this, I'll pass along other recipes when ready. I owe this site a debt of gratitude for all it has taught me, and this is my first attempt to pay that bill. Credits to others here for inspiration.

Grilled Chicken Fajita Bowl
Building this recipe required bulk purchases, which as noted above yielded 23 complete meals, with varying degrees of extra ingredients (the chicken was the limiting factor). It took seven attempts to find the following balance of ingredients and quantities to fit my needs, though even the first tries were better than the standard commercial freeze dried backpacking meal. Each element can easily be tweaked in pursuit of particular preferences.

Recipe
Minute instant rice1/2 cup
Nutristore freeze dried grilled chicken1/2 cup
Mexicali Rose freeze dried refried beans1/3 cup
Harmony House freeze dried black beans1/4 cup
Harmony House freeze dried bell peppers2 tbsp
Harmony House freeze dried onions2 tbsp
Poppyseed Farms freeze dried cheddar cheese3 tbsp
McCormicks taco seasoning2 tsp
Knorr vegetable bouillon1 tsp
Chipotle powder1/8 tsp

Wallaby 8.5" x 6.5" mylar pouch

Add two cups of boiling water. Seal and wait 12 minutes.
IMG-5861.jpg
This is the initial ingredient batch, which didn't include the refried beans that I added later in recipe development to add creaminess to the texture, or the box of 30 Wallaby mylar pouches.
IMG-6124.jpg
Prep
Note it's critical to use a canning or similar funnel to add the ingredients to the pouch, because any powder at the mouth of the bag can prevent airtight sealing and thus limit shelf life.

Pouches
The Wallaby pouch design--wide and short, rather than tall and narrow, like most commercial meals--eliminates the joyous task of scraping the bottom of a ten-inch deep pouch in search of those last few calories. This recipe does, however, completely fill the pouch. Take care accordingly when resealing after adding water.

Shelf life
This is an open question and I plan to test this batch over time. To minimize ingredient exposure to oxygen and moisture, I packed quickly in a dry place and inserted oxygen absorbers before sealing the mylar pouches. I'm now storing them in a cool, dry place, as I do commercial backpacking meals and other dried food. By far the shortest shelf life ingredient is the cheese, which the manufacturer listed as 1-2 years. It could be omitted, and the calories made up if so desired. I opted instead to cheese bomb the recipe.

Other ingredients
Instant guacamole and sour cream both caught my eye as potential additions to this recipe. I couldn't find enough info on shelf life to take the plunge, but might grab a packet or two of one or the other to give it a try as a separately packaged addition.

Per the note above about other recipes, I'm tinkering with a chicken teriyaki bowl recipe that would use some of the same primary ingredients and thus allow meal diversity without much extra cost. I'm also testing something like a shepherd's pie or stew, with meat, taters, veggies, and gravy. None of the results so far have been disappointing, a fact I hope encourages others to experiment.

JDubya

Rob5589

WKR
Sounds pretty good. You could probably save even more if you freeze dried your own ingredients.

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds pretty good. You could probably save even more if you freeze dried your own ingredients.
Great point. I've been eyeballing freezer dryers. We grow a lot of our food and could put one to good use.

Do you have one? If so, which model and how do you like it?

Is that really 80mg of fat? I guess I'm not familiar with freeze dried cheese.
Minute brown rice would be an easy nutrition boost if it cooks up similarly enough to their white.

fjefman

FNG
Never thought of making my own dried meals...I'm certainly going to have to try this.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
A dehydrator is a cheap alternative to a freeze dryer. Chicken is difficult. Canned chicken dehydrated and rehydrated well. Also I did chicken breast in a instapot then ripped it up and dehydrated it. Veggies and fruits and ground elk all dehydrate well. I vacuum pack and freeze my meats in the off season.

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Minute brown rice would be an easy nutrition boost if it cooks up similarly enough to their white.
It is. About 2.75 servings of the cheese, which is mostly because I wanted to use it up and I also like a cheesy, fat rich meal before tucking in on a cold night.

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Never thought of making my own dried meals...I'm certainly going to have to try this.
It's pretty easy to beat cost and quality. Breakfast is easiest. Dinner is a bit more tricky, but not insurmountably so.

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
A dehydrator is a cheap alternative to a freeze dryer. Chicken is difficult. Canned chicken dehydrated and rehydrated well. Also I did chicken breast in a instapot then ripped it up and dehydrated it. Veggies and fruits and ground elk all dehydrate well. I vacuum pack and freeze my meats in the off season.
Dirtscoots is right. A lot can be accomplished with a dehydrator, though some ingredients are challenging. I use one for chili, pasta, and fruits to add to my breakfasts and snacks.

And my apologies for the neglect of this thread and current flurry of responses. Life got in the way.

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Great point also on the brown instant rice. I didn't even know that existed.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
OP-any other recommendations on recipes?

I really like the idea of high fat content before turning in on a cold night.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Making your own dried meals? Damn, that is genius. I never heard of it before and I am definitely gonna try it. Thanks for sharing!

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
OP-any other recommendations on recipes?

I really like the idea of high fat content before turning in on a cold night.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one liking a high fat meal to keep me cooking through the night. The shepherd's pie should have a nutritional profile similar to the fajita bowl, while the teriyaki bowl will probably be a bit leaner.

I somehow didn't notice the recent posts on the thread. I'll take them as motivation to pick up my long neglected to-do list task to order more freeze dried ingredients to finish off the other two recipes I started.

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Making your own dried meals? Damn, that is genius. I never heard of it before and I am definitely gonna try it. Thanks for sharing!
You'll find a lot of inspiration on the backpacking forums. Some surprisingly simple hacks, along with more complicated recipes. This recipe fits in the more complicated category, but I like my mountain dinners to be tasty and filling.

On the simple front, I'll never again buy premade granola, milk, and berries for breakfast. Quick trip to any grocery for granola, Nido, and a dried fruit of choice (I use raisins we make from our grapes). Dump it in zip loc and voila. Add nuts, protein powder, etc., as desired to get the nutrition you want.