Diesel Fuel Help - JD Tractor

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody seen this and know how to prevent it or clean it? Almost like a red thick sticky varnish on filter and in water separator fuel. Currently tractor just runs for few seconds and dies and pretty sure it’s a fuel issue. Changing fuel pump out next as that’s the missing item I have replaced yet. Seems like plenty of fuel is flowing to water separator so know it’s not a tank line plugged issue.

540ef814a5777190484864bdd8b51395.jpg

60fd4635187d5a30d25574d08820b954.jpg

jimh406

WKR
Probably algae, bacteria, or fungus. You'll also need to put and additive in that will kill it. Depending on how much fuel you have in it, you might also be better off to remove it even if you filter it and put it back in.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Looks like you have bacteria growing in your fuel.

Consider this:

Probably algae, bacteria, or fungus. You'll also need to put and additive in that will kill it. Depending on how much fuel you have in it, you might also be better off to remove it even if you filter it and put it back in.
Just went through this last year with algae. Had to take the tank off & cleaned out / replaced all the filters & hoses, etc. for good measure. It hurt my wallet more than anything.

Just went through this last year with algae. Had to take the tank off & cleaned out / replaced all the filters & hoses, etc. for good measure. It hurt my wallet more than anything.
This!! But don’t waste the time on the additive to kill the algae, just take the tank off and clean it out good. Replace fuel filter too, then add some of the additive to a fresh tank of fuel to help prevent it from happening again

OP
Themic86

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the best method for cleaning the tank. Already replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the water separator. Have a new fuel pump on order too.

Looked at that AJX and seems to be expensive and not sure if that is magic in a bottle but don’t want to wait on that when other biocide chemicals can work, so ordered some BIOBOR JF since I can get on Amazon quickly.

Darryle

WKR
What model tractor? Have you pulled the supply line at the tank to verify if will free flow fuel?

Algea and trash will accumulate in the tank and can plug even a 3/8" diameter line.

Not fun but possibly necessary, pull the tank and clean it. Easy method that sounds stupid, buy some small smooth fountain stones, remove the sending unit and fuel supply port, it can have a sock on the end like a strainer, make a tin cover for the sender port, use an old inner tube for a gasket, pipe plug in the supply line dump the stones into the tank, add a gallon of power service and throw the tank in the back of your utv or pick up, drive around, rotate the tank often and drive around some more. The smooth stones will agitate the algea and and dirt/trash loose. When you are satisfied, remove your tin cover and dump the stones out and then rinse out the loose debris. Once the tank is clean, flush the lines to the factory filter, flush the lines up to the injectors as well. Once you have flushed the system and replaced all of the filters/strainers, install a marine fuel filter with water separator and water drain as close to the fuel tank. You can run premium diesel fuel, Cenex is one, don't buy more fuel than you will burn in 30-45 days, our fuels are shit nowadays.

Keep Hot Shot Secrets Diesel Extreme is a great product to keep around and use liberally.

OP
Themic86

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
What model tractor? Have you pulled the supply line at the tank to verify if will free flow fuel?

Algea and trash will accumulate in the tank and can plug even a 3/8" diameter line.

Not fun but possibly necessary, pull the tank and clean it. Easy method that sounds stupid, buy some small smooth fountain stones, remove the sending unit and fuel supply port, it can have a sock on the end like a strainer, make a tin cover for the sender port, use an old inner tube for a gasket, pipe plug in the supply line dump the stones into the tank, add a gallon of power service and throw the tank in the back of your utv or pick up, drive around, rotate the tank often and drive around some more. The smooth stones will agitate the algea and and dirt/trash loose. When you are satisfied, remove your tin cover and dump the stones out and then rinse out the loose debris. Once the tank is clean, flush the lines to the factory filter, flush the lines up to the injectors as well. Once you have flushed the system and replaced all of the filters/strainers, install a marine fuel filter with water separator and water drain as close to the fuel tank. You can run premium diesel fuel, Cenex is one, don't buy more fuel than you will burn in 30-45 days, our fuels are shit nowadays.

Keep Hot Shot Secrets Diesel Extreme is a great product to keep around and use liberally.

Tractor is a JD3038E. Have 5/16 fuel lines on them and thinking of replacing them if possible once I get some biocide in the system. Going to run a shock dose and then drain fuel and see what it looks like. When I took off the hose from tank to fuel/water separator it was free flow so don’t think the tank filter is clogged. Also no water was in the separator either.

I have the same model. Same scenario as your last 2 sentences. Very frustrating when you can't identify the issue / symptoms/ cause. I didn't have time to F with it & ended up taking it to the JD dealer. $580

TXRM1280

FNG
You can also add a in-line filter between the tank and engine. We did this and keep extras in hand. Still use additives but we were using them before and still had problems. Also, pull the filter that’s built into the tank and cut it off. If you have this it only gets clogged and is a pain the a$$ to get it out every time.

IMG_1107.jpg
IMG_0296.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Themic86

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
You can also add a in-line filter between the tank and engine. We did this and keep extras in hand. Still use additives but we were using them before and still had problems. Also, pull the filter that’s built into the tank and cut it off. If you have this it only gets clogged and is a pain the a$$ to get it out every time.

View attachment 593923
View attachment 593924
View attachment 593925

So you are running 3 in theory?
1 in-line, the one in water separator, and 1 after fuel pump?

TXRM1280

FNG
Yes, but the in-line keeps the build up from the gas tank from ever getting to the fuel filter and water separator etc. and it’s easy to change out on the fly.

Darryle

WKR
Tractor is a JD3038E. Have 5/16 fuel lines on them and thinking of replacing them if possible once I get some biocide in the system. Going to run a shock dose and then drain fuel and see what it looks like. When I took off the hose from tank to fuel/water separator it was free flow so don’t think the tank filter is clogged. Also no water was in the separator either.

Post or Pre exhaust filter version?

Verify your safety switches are functioning properly and move freely, also verify voltage at the fuel pump. Since you had the lines open, make sure you bleed every ounce of air out at the injectors. I had an E series, only when it got below 0º did I have any issues. I started running the Hot Shots Secret products and no more gelling.

Last edited:
OP
Themic86

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Post or Pre exhaust filter version?

Verify your safety switches are functioning properly and move freely, also verify voltage at the fuel pump. Since you had the lines open, make sure you bleed every ounce of air out at the injectors. I had an E series, only when it got below 0º did I have any issues. I started running the Hot Shots Secret products and no more gelling.

It’s a 2013 so think that’s a pre exhaust version. I’ll be bleeding air as best I can once I get all the fuel hoses replaced to get as much of the fungus out that I can.

Elk97

WKR
The Biobor will work fine, have used it for years on engines that don't get used often and never had a problem.

TheHammer

WKR
Nobody has asked the fuel source? Do you have a bulk tank that also needs to be taken care of? How frequently is this tractor used? As this could be a simple maintenance issue due to fuel source and minimal measures required to prevent it from reoccurring. As many others have stated complete replacement might be needed. At minimum a system flush with adequate treatment. Being someone with a fuel additive on market, having spent the thousands and thousands of dollars with labs and samples for testing. I can assure you that most recommended solution ratios are not adequate before fully soluble, you would be surprised what that rate typically equates to, especially with singular hydrocarbons. So be generous on the treatment.

OP
Themic86

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Nobody has asked the fuel source? Do you have a bulk tank that also needs to be taken care of? How frequently is this tractor used? As this could be a simple maintenance issue due to fuel source and minimal measures required to prevent it from reoccurring. As many others have stated complete replacement might be needed. At minimum a system flush with adequate treatment. Being someone with a fuel additive on market, having spent the thousands and thousands of dollars with labs and samples for testing. I can assure you that most recommended solution ratios are not adequate before fully soluble, you would be surprised what that rate typically equates to, especially with singular hydrocarbons. So be generous on the treatment.

This was fuel from local station and only get 5gals at a time. Poured some of the can into a glass jar and didn’t see any fungus and still green, and pumped some from tank and see fungus and more reddish tint. Tractor is not used much as probably don’t get through 10-12 gallons of gas a year unless I’m shredding the entire place.

OP
Themic86

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Had the fuel sitting with Biodor JF biocide for a few days and now tank is off. Have the red slime I have to figure out how to get out of tank as seems it might take a pressure washer to get off since sticky. Not sure I can get it out of the injectors but hopefully I don’t have to and still works when I get back together. Either way, I’m another step closer to getting it running. Fuel pump wasn’t pumping either so think that was completely gummed up.

9666174150604874c42def1b23baa6cf.jpg

once you clean everything out, run a biocide and Pri-D through your fuel system religiously for a few tanks worth of fuel.. Always use fresh fuel. If you have a main fuel tank you keep at your house for filling up your truck and track, I would suggest adding a drain port at the lowest point of the tank for draining water accumulation. Treat the entire tank with Pri-D .

You can test for water in your main tank with a test paste. If your fuel test positive for water then treat with biocide and circulate the fuel in the tank through a 10 and then a 2 micron filter.