Diesel heater for wall tent?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Get one of the surplus 1941 diesel/ oil/ wood heaters

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

DanimalW

WKR
View attachment 623213Second year using one and it will cook you out if you want it to. I run mine off of a deep cycle marine battery and keep it charged up with a 100w solar panel. I do have a 1,400 watt harbor freight generator/inverter as a back up that I put a battery trickle tender on if needed. Heater on low 8° c and I believe goes up to 32°c, but I've never slept with it on higher than 12°c. It uses about have a tank of fuel a night on that setting. I can't say exactly how much battery it uses as I ensure it gets charged back up daily by solar or generator.

I have the vevor and believe I got the plateau 5k to handle higher altitude (although I'm not sure it's truly needed).
So you run it outside and just pipe the warm air in through the flex duct? Looks like a nice system

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
So you run it outside and just pipe the warm air in through the flex duct? Looks like a nice system
I was trying to save space inside the tent, so that is why I put it outside coming in. I've never had to turn it up temperature setting wise, as I've only used it overnights between 20-40 degrees.

Tbuckus

WKR
@DanimalW

Advantages of having it set up outside.
slightly quieter inside tent.
more room in tent/ less issue with bumping into it..
refueling is done outside. Less chance of spilling diesel inside tent.

disadvantage
should build some type of rain/storm cover for it.
have to go outside to turn on if you dont have a remote or Bluetooth.
have to go outside if error codes happen.

There's probably other one’s but those come to mind

it came in handy this week when my furnace drain froze causing issues
IMG_1830.jpeg

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
@DanimalW

Advantages of having it set up outside.
slightly quieter inside tent.
more room in tent/ less issue with bumping into it..
refueling is done outside. Less chance of spilling diesel inside tent.

disadvantage
should build some type of rain/storm cover for it.
have to go outside to turn on if you dont have a remote or Bluetooth.
have to go outside if error codes happen.

There's probably other one’s but those come to mind

it came in handy this week when my furnace drain froze causing issues
View attachment 658638
You can splice the wires and extend your control screen and put it in the tent. My heater sites in shelf like enclosure and my controls are in the tent on a wood "night stand". I put connections in the splice so the stand and heater disconnect and easier to deal with.

MHWASH

WKR
What's the noise level like with these CDHs? For comparison, are they as loud as my Honda EU2000?

Titan

WKR
If you put the heater outside, the only noise you would hear is the fan moving the air and possibly some clicking from the pump. You can make the pump nearly silent with some work. Those 2000w generators are quiet but not this quiet

IdahoFF

FNG
I purchased an Hcalory suitcase style diesel heater to try in my kodiak canvas 10x10 this season. Works really well with "dry" heat being the biggest plus. I set it up outside and pipe the warm air duct through the "back door". Seems to be very fuel efficient and seems to burn a little cleaner with diesel/ kerosene mix. I run it off a deep cycle battery with no issues as far as run time goes.

I believe with most of these diesel heaters the LCD control panel has a thermostat in them but they mount to the front of the unit. You can buy a plug and play wire extender on Amazon for cheap so you can then place the thermostat into the heated space for more accurate thermostatic control.

Arcola

FNG
I use the China version from Amazon ($200) in my portable ice shack. It’ll keep my 10x10 shack t-shirt warm in zero degree weather. Fuel consumption is great. Battery consumption is pretty heavy in sub zero temperatures. A group 24 deep cycle will run mine for about 8 hours while using less than a tank of kerosene.

Tbuckus

WKR
You can splice the wires and extend your control screen and put it in the tent. My heater sites in shelf like enclosure and my controls are in the tent on a wood "night stand". I put connections in the splice so the stand and heater disconnect and easier to deal with.
thanks for the tip.

Axle

FNG
I have heard the air from these heaters can have a bit of a smell that never completely goes away. Have any of you guys experienced that?

IdahoFF

FNG
I did experience the smell you are referring to. It seems to have lightened up or gone away after about 16hrs or so of run time.

Titan

WKR
Some people buy a cheap hose extension off Amazon and it gives off a smell. If it’s running correctly no smell after a break in period.

IdahoFF

FNG
I also purchased an extension after reading about the heaters on line. The smell was extremely strong and the duct seemed to get hotter than I was comfortable with. I haven't had a need for it yet.