Digiscope video

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Was curious if anyone had done a digiscoping video setup with a GoPro. Looking for a way to get some good video on hunts and came up with the setup below.
Modified a phoneskope GoPro adapter to fit with the GoPro media mod (to allow for mic and screen). The larger screen isn’t necessarily needed but I thought it would be easier to see than looking at the smaller screen.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 4F87C9DE-198A-4E4B-9AD7-12AC919747C8.jpeg
    4F87C9DE-198A-4E4B-9AD7-12AC919747C8.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 35

fatrascal

WKR
You did a good job. 15 years ago we used to use camcorder and point and shoot cameras with adapters, some home made and some you could buy. Nowadays most of us use our phones on a phonescope or phonecam. There are multiple videos on youtube showing homemade versions. Seeing your setup brought back memories. Fatrascal

cjoe7

FNG
Great idea. I'm looking for something similar with a digiscoping camera for viewing and/or recording (on phone / tablet) shots on targets. I've researched several spotting scope cameras like LongShot and SME which are both WIFI. Longshot reviews seems pretty decent while SMI reviews suck.

I don't see reviews or discussion of these products here. Either they're really bad or digiscoping phone adapters are significantly better. Does anyone have any input?

Thanks..

cjoe

cjoe7

FNG
A lot of ranges use our tablet adapter on a 60x scope to allow multiple people to see what is happening. https://novagrade.com/products/tablet-adapter There are some other easy ways to broadcast an image to a separate display. Let me know if you want to chat
Yes, I would be interest in chatting. I've tried products similar to your product. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the phone or tablet hanging off the spotting scope.

There has been several incidents that someone clumsy or young kids kicked the tripod while the tablet was attached. Another advantage would be reviewing the footage from a distance. Instead of congregating around the shooter.

Thanks...

Jimss

WKR
I use a Nikon P900 with a 85X superzoom. You would be amazed at the footage at long distances. 85X is a chunk more power than my 65x Swaro spotter plus a Iphone. Superzoom HD cameras have come a long ways and continue to improve.

doug@novagrade

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, I would be interest in chatting. I've tried products similar to your product. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the phone or tablet hanging off the spotting scope.

There has been several incidents that someone clumsy or young kids kicked the tripod while the tablet was attached. Another advantage would be reviewing the footage from a distance. Instead of congregating around the shooter.

Thanks...
please give me a shout at 503-510-7560 whenever convenient

cjoe7

FNG
That is an excellent suggestion. I used to be a major photo gear guy. I tried earlier incarnations of the superzooms and they were so so. Later, I heard that superzooms were really amazing. The cameras are cheaper, smaller, lighter than high end spotting scopes. Some have WIFI and / or BT sharing. It can record video without another device. I can also repurpose for travel photography.

I'll do some additional research. But what a potential game changer. Only negative may be screen time constrained by battery size.

I'll call you later to discuss more in depth.

Thanks again.

cjoe7

FNG
According to what I'm reading, the P900 85X optical zoom is only equivalent to a 42X spotting scope. Similarly, the P1000 125X zoom is equivalent to 60X spotting scope.

Are you saying that your P900 gives a better more detailed image than your Swaro @ 65X? I would really appreciate some images to between the 2 options.

I'm currently thinking about the P1000 and a 7" field monitor attached to a SmallRig camera cage with various attachments. If I can get good resolution, this would be a perfect setup for many things.