The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

WRO

WKR
I got out of everything I was + on and am riding out the negative now. What oil stocks do you like?
large cap hard to be XOM/EPD - Dividends

COP for growth - LC

MRO

Small caps

Cdev/Ampy/PED/GTE (higher risk/Reward profile)

I may swing MXC soon, it dipped but for no good reason.. Its super low mkt cap and has the potential to rip (high risk)

There are alot of them though and many members know that sector better than me.

brushape

WKR
Sold all my assorted stocks two weeks ago some at a loss so eat gains and took a break. Decided to throw back into the pot for some oil and just got back to cell service after a few days at the ranch..... cdev at $5.63 are you freaking kidding me !!! Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riplip

WKR
Well hell. I just switch my 401k to straight stocks about 7 months ago. Its thru Edward Jones. I might make my advisor a little mad tomorrow when I call him and tell him to put me back in bonds. 😂 Out of curiosity. What is your time frame for this coming drop

Well hell. I just switch my 401k to straight stocks about 7 months ago. Its thru Edward Jones. I might make my advisor a little mad tomorrow when I call him and tell him to put me back in bonds. 😂 Out of curiosity. What is your time frame for this coming drop.

This is the last thing you should do. Biggest mistake you can make is panic selling or making changes out of fear of the unknown. No one knows what the market is going to do tomorrow, next week or next year. What if you move to bonds and the market rips higher next month, are you going to move back into equities? Market timing is a guaranteed strategy to lose money. You should come up with an allocation your are comfortable with and stick to it regardless of what the market is doing. It is evident that you over estimated your risk tolerance for 100% equities. Just my $.02.

WRO

WKR
This is the last thing you should do. Biggest mistake you can make is panic selling or making changes out of fear of the unknown. No one knows what the market is going to do tomorrow, next week or next year. What if you move to bonds and the market rips higher next month, are you going to move back into equities? Market timing is a guaranteed strategy to lose money. You should come up with an allocation your are comfortable with and stick to it regardless of what the market is doing. It is evident that you over estimated your risk tolerance for 100% equities. Just my $.02.

This us how people lose huge chunks their retirement and investments, fomo is real.

Its better to miss 5% gains and than take 30-40% losses.

BTW the market it bloody right now overseas again.. The bubble is huge right now, and it'll take 30% more the flush it.

By all means feel free to ride it to the bottom, but don't sell it as good advice. It's the advice that kills the retail investor every down cycle..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR

Agree. Buy strong companies and go back to living life.

This us how people lose huge chunks their retirement and investments, fomo is real.

BTW the market it bloody right now overseas again.. The bubble is huge right now, and it'll take 30% more the flush it.

By all means feel free to ride it to the bottom, but don't sell it as good advice. It's the advice that kills the retail investor every down cycle..

I don’t post in this thread much, but I have enjoyed seeing everyone’s points of view and trading strategies.
I will say that it does make some sense to hold onto positions with extremely favorable entry points. If you bought into some of these right after the March/April recovery, you’re sitting on 200-400% returns. What do I care if it drops 30-40%. You’d still be up 200+%. Then the market will eventual recover and I’ve maintained my lower cost basis. So for truly long term investors in legitimately solid companies, it does make sense.

I have several accounts I trade differently. Two of them I barely look at. The other two I actively trade in swings/options. Those shorter term accounts were all moved to 70% cash after the 1st test of 380.

That’s my perspective at least.

This^^^ right here for me. I don’t join this thread much because I know so little, but I’ve read every single post, some multiple times, and learned so much. When WRO 1st posted about moving 401K money I had to chuckle. Due to this thread, studying multiple other reports and generally keeping my eyes open, I started exactly what he recommends about 2 months ago. Sure I gave up some gains, and yes I was 2nd guessing myself. Here’s the rub, though, and it matters in the discussion. I’ll be 64 next month. I’ll gladly give up some gains for security at this point in my life. At 30, I probably wouldn’t have gone the safe route even in the face of a correction.
I guess my long winded point is, everyone is in a different place. Do what’s right right for you.

elkyinzer

WKR
I'm going to go off some of the above and try to learn some things about oil this weekend. Two things I generally avoid are oil and pharma, I've never been able to see through the randomness in either sector. I've been doing well in my IRA on REITs, financials, and industrials, and still see a lot of value in those.

KsRancher

WKR

The reason I did it is because when I started the 401K from work 5 years ago. Edward Jones sat down with us and went over all of their different strategies. The one without bonds showed a higher rate of return over a long period of time. But they really were not pushing that one very much. They wanted the one with 10 to 20% bonds. I wanted straight stocks at that point because of how young I am and would have it 30 years before needing to retire. If they would have had me out of those bonds from the beginning I would have had more in my account and could have taken a more of a loss to be at the same money. From what I was looking at my account. If you had bonds the past 4 to 5 years it was pretty well dead money

EastMT

WKR
As stated before you can’t time the market, you also can’t time entering a stock, not for a scalp/swing/long term hold.

Learn to scale, no pushing all the chips in/out at one time. As I told the guys earlier I started scaling my 401k in Jan last year, then started scaling it back in mid March. The SPY chart works just like a reg stock chart, when the trendline breaks up/done, usually a trend change.

I’m sitting 100% bonds in the 401k after scaling out on Green Day’s the last 8 weeks. A good green pop, moves some over.

The market has been insane and were due for a pullback. When the chart/MA/EMA start looking right, I’ll scale back in.

In the mean time I’m out of all swings, scalps and daytrades, if no time then nothing for the day is ok.

Reactions: WRO

Traveler

WKR
There is a lot more to making a bond vs stock decision than just what the market is doing. One has to consider investment timeline, whether you are continuing to contribute/buy during the downturn, reason for downturn and timing the eventual upswing. Bonds are generally safer but they don’t do as well during inflationary periods. Not every downturn comes with inflation. If you have a long time still in the market you may recover a 20-30% loss and then some by investing more in the downturn rather than holding. Coming out of the down turn if you can spot it sure flipping between bonds and stocks may work if timing is right. My experience is that people are just as bad at identifying when the market is really going up as when it was really going down. Then they end up buying the same stocks or mutual funds back at higher prices than they sold and end up fewer shares, which may be the same balance but less future potential. To mitigate that maybe move to bonds but keep all new purchases still in stocks/mutual funds.
Of course if you are 60 and will not be contributing more and need stability by all means bonds may be the best play.