Direct thread vs lightweight mounting systems

TxLite

WKR
I’ve seen similar threads but couldn’t find quite what I’m looking for.

I’m looking to ditch ASR on my hunting rifles and have concerns about direct threat coming loose.

Is direct thread with Teflon tape as repeatable as something like the lightweight taper mount such as the area 419, rearden atlas, etc? Is the Teflon tape & direct thread more of a set it and leave it type setup?

Overall I think I’d only be adding 1oz or so and .5” over the direct thread. Are the added weight and length going to produce better repeatability and lockup?

I only use DT now. The best way to ensure it won't come loose is to do the following:

1) Clean and degrease the threads on your rifle and your suppressor
2) Thread the suppressor on to finger tight
3) Using a rubber or silicone pot holder, grab on to the suppressor and torque it. Don't wookie torque it, but make sure it is good and snug.

I have never had one come loose doing it this way. If it makes you feel better when you are at the range, bring that pot holder and check it when it is hot.

Adding anything, such as teflon tape or grease increases your chances of picking up debris or not getting it tight against the shoulder.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I only use DT now. The best way to ensure it won't come loose is to do the following:

1) Clean and degrease the threads on your rifle and your suppressor
2) Thread the suppressor on to finger tight
3) Using a rubber or silicone pot holder, grab on to the suppressor and torque it. Don't wookie torque it, but make sure it is good and snug.

I have never had one come loose doing it this way. If it makes you feel better when you are at the range, bring that pot holder and check it when it is hot.

Adding anything, such as teflon tape or grease increases your chances of picking up debris or not getting it tight against the shoulder.
No issues with it coming loose while hiking or driving?

Have a buddy who’s nomad came loose while riding in the truck, which is easy enough to fix before firing but not the point

No issues with it coming loose while hiking or driving?

Have a buddy who’s nomad came loose while riding in the truck, which is easy enough to fix before firing but not the point

None. If it came loose while driving around, he didn't tighten it well the first time. You won't break it.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Anybody have experience with some of the 'qd' systems like the Area 419 or Rearden/Plan B?

The Area 419 seems like it has potential for major frustration with the LH threads between the mount and the adapter.