Dive Bomb Silhouettes

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone run the fully flocked (heads and body) Dive Bomb Silhouettes for goose hunting?

Anyone have issues with snow sticking to the fully flocked body?

I have a buddy that has 25 doz of the flocked heads and 5 doz are the fully flocked all black-n-whites. But I've never hunted them in a snow storm and am wondering if snow sticks to the flocking?

Anyone have experience with the fully flocked heads and flocked body?

KurtR

WKR
I run the v2f and the b and w if it is sticky wet snow it will stick but easy to knock off. At that point it covering full bodies just the same. We went all silo last year and it didn’t disappoint

You’ll just have to knock it off. They will still do the trick in a snow storm. The black and whites are even better in a snow storm cause the visibility is better. You probably won’t have to knock the snow off the DB as much as you would with FB tho. Fantastic decoys that will kill a pile of birds. I’m still a sucker for a full body spread tho. If we have to walk in a ways and I can’t drive my trailer through the field we use silos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll just have to knock it off. They will still do the trick in a snow storm. The black and whites are even better in a snow storm cause the visibility is better. You probably won’t have to knock the snow off the DB as much as you would with FB tho. Fantastic decoys that will kill a pile of birds. I’m still a sucker for a full body spread tho. If we have to walk in a ways and I can’t drive my trailer through the field we use silos.

I run the v2f and the b and w if it is sticky wet snow it will stick but easy to knock off. At that point it covering full bodies just the same. We went all silo last year and it didn’t disappoint

This is exactly what we do.

If your running thr V2F those are the flocked heads with the regular bodies. Does the flocking get the snow or does the the body also get snow stuck?

I guess what I'm asking is, does the snow stick no matter what? Or is it only sticking to the flocking?

I mean, I'm not looking for perfection. But I've hunted enough full bodies to know that snow is excellent to hunt geese in, but shaking off decoys after every volley so they can be seen, kinda sucks as birds want to work in.

KurtR

WKR
It will stick to the flocking more than the bodies it has to be pretty wet and sticky to stick to the bodies . We had to clean them off about a 1/3 as much as we did the full bodies running both in the same spread

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Yes snow will stick to the flocking. Set your spread wide, keep the birds down wind, and they will never see the snow covered upwind side of the decoy before you make it rain. We had a 7 species shoot in a snow storm last fall and at one point every snow sock was full of snow and we could barely make out the upwind side of the silhouettes from the A-frame. Pulled the sleeper shells 20 minutes into the hunt as they were turning into drifts.

If your running thr V2F those are the flocked heads with the regular bodies. Does the flocking get the snow or does the the body also get snow stuck?

I guess what I'm asking is, does the snow stick no matter what? Or is it only sticking to the flocking?

I mean, I'm not looking for perfection. But I've hunted enough full bodies to know that snow is excellent to hunt geese in, but shaking off decoys after every volley so they can be seen, kinda sucks as birds want to work in.

Snow is probably one of my most favorite times to hunt waterfowl. Yes it’ll get caught on the flocking. The smooth part of them won’t stick as bad as the flocking. Set your spread facing into the wind and you won’t have to worry about it as much. To be honest we have only had to brush snow off them one time. Every other time we hunted straight through and killed a pile of birds. Generally if your on the x in snow it gets DIRTY!

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Yes snow will stick to the flocking. Set your spread wide, keep the birds down wind, and they will never see the snow covered upwind side of the decoy before you make it rain. We had a 7 species shoot in a snow storm last fall and at one point every snow sock was full of snow and we could barely make out the upwind side of the silhouettes from the A-frame. Pulled the sleeper shells 20 minutes into the hunt as they were turning into drifts.

Snow is by far my most favorite time to hunt waterfowl, the nastier the better.

That's why I'm asking about the fully flocked ones vs the flocked heads.

Basically what I'm reading is that the fully flocked ones should be OK in the snow. Yes, it's not perfect and there will be snow to dust off, but nothing major.

A few yrs ago we hunted in a foggy blizzard, and every time we'd dump birds we'd all jump out and dust off the decoys. A few times even though we just shot, birds still wanted in & we'd be running back to thr blind as they were setting up.

Yeah a few times they'd bounce off of us and fly away, but when your on The X in the fog, and snow, it was a slaughter! We limited in less than 30 min.

If the visibility is that shitty, it doesn't matter if a little snow sticks.

I have been a silhouette believer for several years. I definitely think I give up a few birds for it but the benefits outweigh the costs. As far as snow sticking, it pretty much sticks at some point to any flocking. I have 6dz real geese and the upwind side will have snow stick somewhat to the fabric laminate.

I have also been eye-balling the fully flocked divebombs to supplement my aging real geese.