Centerfire rifle drop testing: Tikka/SWFA

JGRaider

WKR
Looks like it needs more dead cats. Did you remove the pressure point in the factory stock and free float it? I’ve never needed to bed a Tikka, but they do seem to benefit from opening up the barrel channel.
If you're going to beat the schittttt out of your Tikka like that, bedding the lug is a good idea. Otherwise, I've never had to bed the lug or remove the pressure point on any of mine.

ElPollo

WKR
If you're going to beat the schittttt out of your Tikka like that, bedding the lug is a good idea. Otherwise, I've never had to bed the lug or remove the pressure point on any of mine.
I’m in agreement with Marbles. Never seen a Tikka that was loose enough that you could get any bedding material in there to support the lug. But if yours was, bedding was a good idea.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have written before that some T3’s (about 30% from what have seen) will shift up to around .3 mil/1” at 100 yards from 36” drops. In all cases that I have personally done so, spot bedding the tang and lug, and torquing action screws to 65 in-lbs has stopped that.

As far as dropping your own rifle system, I would highly recommend reading how and why I do it the way I do. You need to know that the scope works first, then you can proof rings and rifle. Also, it does not take 36” drops for personal use just to proof your system with known reliable components. If it’s unknown, or an item that has questionable reliability, then the whole thing is prudent.
I drop my rifles from 36”, but most I know that are using solid, known rifles/scopes/rings/etc all mounted the way I outline, check their personal rifles from 24” drops on left and right sides. Their just making sure everything is in order, not trying to break something.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind, I suck at shooting.

I got a Tikka 223 recently, had some work done. First zero was over the hood of my truck and a "close enough" type thing not at a range. Since I've hunted with it some. Finally got around to joining the local gun club and took it to a real range last week. For ammo, I just started reloading. This first batch was Starline 5.56 brass, Federal 205 primers, 77 gr TMKs, and 22.5 gr of N135. This was the first ammo I had ever reloaded, the spread sucked.

Tikka Lite cut to 16.5 inches and action cerakoted by LRI. SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 bought in January of 2023 direct from SWFA. Using Sportsmatch T084 rings torqued to 25 in lbs and thread locked and using the recoil pin, rings and screws were degreased in acetone, I don't remember if I degreased the scope body as this was mounted up 2 months ago. Lumley artic bottom metal with action screws torqued to 45 in lbs and thread locked.

Data from last weekends trip.
View attachment 660902
View attachment 660903

Today, I dropped it 9 times from 36 inches, 3 times on each side.
Snow was fist hard (look up avalanche assessment if you need to know what that means)

Set up
View attachment 660906

Finished
View attachment 660905

What the snow looked like after the drops
View attachment 660904

Shooting position and conditions.
View attachment 660913
View attachment 660912

I used the same target, same batch of hand loads.
View attachment 660908

View attachment 660909

Clear failure of the system. I do not have a proven rifle or scope, so will have to start chasing things down.

In better news, my new batch of hand loads have a tighter ES.

Alright, I'll be the dummy.

The first target seems to have the group centered around 1" high and 1" right.

Then, the second target also seems to have the group centered around 1" high and 1" right.

Other than the groups being somewhat large I'm not smart enough to see where the failure is?

Shane431

FNG
Sorry but this doesn’t show me anything. Apparently a shooter sprayed several bullets over a target then dropped his rifle and shot again. Maybe show the rifle can shoot a decent group before adding more variables. I appreciate the effort but I think you’re doing too much at once.

Also hand loads! Get the hand loads to group then repeat your test.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Alright, I'll be the dummy.

The first target seems to have the group centered around 1" high and 1" right.

Then, the second target also seems to have the group centered around 1" high and 1" right.

Other than the groups being somewhat large I'm not smart enough to see where the failure is?
Depends on how you want to count it. On the first group, 27 rounds where in the large circled area, 3 were off by quite a bit.

On the second group, 18 rounds feel between the tighter area and the three outliers. One could consider this a pass (all rounds stayed within the capability of the shooter), or one could consider this a fail because the average center of the group shifted.

Honestly, the shift could have been from the shooter, I'm not that good. I was not going to post this, but got tired of people talking, but crawfishing when asked to back it up. I've never claimed to be a good shooter, but I have claimed to care about equipment durability.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m most impressed you’re still running three pin bindings on your XC skis. Baller.
I'm not that cool. They are backcountry touring tech binding toe pieces with a Voile heal pad/riser.

Thanks for putting yourself out there by posting this. I wonder how many people with drop-test approved scopes have put much thought into whether their rifle/mounting system is solid too. If nothing else it'll be cool to see people's 30 round groups.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for putting yourself out there by posting this. I wonder how many people with drop-test approved scopes have put much thought into whether their rifle/mounting system is solid too. If nothing else it'll be cool to see people's 30 round groups.
Thank you.

I would be curious what people are actually getting if they put 30 rounds down range in less than 30 minutes without using a bench.

I would be curious what people are actually getting if they put 30 rounds down range in less than 30 minutes without using a bench.
I kind of figured the evaluation would be done in the prone position to eliminate as many shooter-specific variables as possible. I'll have to read up on on the process more.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I kind of figured the evaluation would be done in the prone position to eliminate as many shooter-specific variables as possible. I'll have to read up on on the process more.
Guess I should say, without using a shooting aid not available to them when hunting. Prone would certainly be my preference. Using something like the below, is hardly realistic in my uneducated opinion, dose not really matter if one is sitting or prone.

images.jpg

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have written before that some T3’s (about 30% from what have seen) will shift up to around .3 mil/1” at 100 yards from 36” drops. In all cases that I have personally done so, spot bedding the tang and lug, and torquing action screws to 65 in-lbs has stopped that.

As far as dropping your own rifle system, I would highly recommend reading how and why I do it the way I do. You need to know that the scope works first, then you can proof rings and rifle. Also, it does not take 36” drops for personal use just to proof your system with known reliable components. If it’s unknown, or an item that has questionable reliability, then the whole thing is prudent.
I drop my rifles from 36”, but most I know that are using solid, known rifles/scopes/rings/etc all mounted the way I outline, check their personal rifles from 24” drops on left and right sides. Their just making sure everything is in order, not trying to break something.
I'll keep that in mind, especially when the surface is less forgiving than snow.

65inlbs AND spot bedded? I thought I'd read you say that 65inlbs generally will stop a shift when in a factory stock but there wasn't mention of bedding. I could be misremembering.

I'm close to working on a drop test/proof with the rs1.2. Thread locked/torqued to 65inlbs on a factory stock with the trigger guard screw holes bolstered underneath, so it should be solid. No bedding though.

@Marbles , thanks for sharing. I like this thread.

Maybe a new forum/section could be created, where the purpose is to contain individuals' drop/proofing methods of their system in a thread. It would allow a concentrated area for folks to explain what their objectives are for their proofing method and feedback from those who've done so successfully. Searchable content for people looking for advice on how to make their shit reliable for their needs. @Ryan Avery ?

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how you want to count it. On the first group, 27 rounds where in the large circled area, 3 were off by quite a bit.

On the second group, 18 rounds feel between the tighter area and the three outliers. One could consider this a pass (all rounds stayed within the capability of the shooter), or one could consider this a fail because the average center of the group shifted.

Honestly, the shift could have been from the shooter, I'm not that good. I was not going to post this, but got tired of people talking, but crawfishing when asked to back it up. I've never claimed to be a good shooter, but I have claimed to care about equipment durability.
Ah. I didn't comprehend that you were shooting into your same previous bullet holes. That's why the group looked like it was in the same spot, because the same group was still there...

BjornF16

WKR
Here's a 30 round group (I think).

View attachment 661081

Just messin' around Bjorn.....don't stroke out again pard.
Only 30?

We took more Russian boars than that when I was TDY to Incirlik AB in the 80's...using smoothbore shotguns (or maybe it was one of those Fierce smoothbore "rifles...I don't recall). ;)

The farmers were most unhappy we stacked them and didn't remove them all...lol

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i personally find shooting groups when it's below 20F to be difficult, between mirage and my brain telling me my fingers are becoming useless i'm never sure who or what to blame for a big group. definitely would not have made it through 30 rounds unless i was shooting an AR. nice work, A for effort! now enjoy more time reloading inside while you wait for a slightly warmer day....in like may or june.

just skewer the snowshoe hares with a ski pole. save the ammo