DIY 1lb 2-man Tarp/Tent

K

Kootenay Hunter

Awesome dude. U have some sewing skillz way in my back pocket, might be inspirational to make some gear of my own, great job!

OP
BenFrank

BenFrank

FNG
Awesome dude. U have some sewing skillz way in my back pocket, might be inspirational to make some gear of my own, great job!

Thanks but I don't think I have anymore skills than the next guy. A good plan, attention to detail, and a lot of patience goes along way. The machine I have I literally found on the side of the road, so no fancy equipment is required. If I calculated the value of my time this would be a VERY expensive shelter, but I love the problem solving and creative process and get way more satisfaction using my own gear than anything bought from the store.

530Chukar

WKR
Good job. Is the door section fully attached or removable? I built one very similar last summer. Here’s what it looks like with the side guys snuggled up. Still need to add the door portion of it.
b8178a13d9e229a7eb7edbf4f8bb4f66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BenFrank

BenFrank

FNG
Good job. Is the door section fully attached or removable? I built one very similar last summer. Here’s what it looks like with the side guys snuggled up. Still need to add the door portion of it.

The door is attached. I figured I would use the door most of the time but can roll back both sides if the weather was warm. Nice job on yours. I think you went with a more versatile design. I'm kind of limited to a single pitch configuration.

OP
BenFrank

BenFrank

FNG
Pretty much finished up. I need to work on tightening up the pitch. Adding side guy outs and maybe a couple more guy outs along the perimeter should help.

Also debating on whether to add a storm flap over the zipper. Anyone have any experience with how watertight a standard coil zipper would be?

The weight of the shelter came in at 12.5 oz., 15.7 oz. with stakes and polycrio ground sheet. I still need to seam seal, so that will add an ounce or so.

IMG_2312.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

IMG_2322.JPG

Both poles on the inside:
IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

530Chukar

WKR
I have a standard zipper on my XL tut and have been plenty happy with it in the rain and snow. I would seam seal along the edges of the zipper being careful not to get it into the teeth.

WoodBow

WKR
Looks good man. Standard zipper lets zero water in in my experience on my tipi with no flap. My tarp got some use last week on a sheep hunt. Real world garbage pitch and did not bother to guy it out.
5536316485e657cd40ec3a85ad37bd94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jake1455

FNG
Now that’s too cool right there... following and hope to see some field shots in the future

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice! I've found the standard zipper only lets in a small amount of water, but it usually drips down the zipper and doesn't actually get into the tent. The way your zipper is oriented, and it being on the smaller side (#3), it shouldn't be a big problem. You could always set it up, climb in, and have someone spray it with a hose so you can see how it would handle the water.

What did you use to stiffen the bottom edge of your vent flaps?

OP
BenFrank

BenFrank

FNG
What did you use to stiffen the bottom edge of your vent flaps?

To stiffen the vent flaps I used heavy duty 1/2" zip ties. Thanks for the info on the zipper. I'll give it a leak test after I seam seal.

Conway200

FNG
This is really cool. How do these floorless tents do with a heavy rain, with the rain basically running in underneath?