DIY 7x14 enclosed trailer for camping

workethic

FNG
Picked up an tandem axle 7x14 enclosed trailer for moving out of our old house. I only paid $900 for it and would like to do a couple mods on it to use it as a camper/toy hauler. Ive watched a few youtube vids, but I thought I would ask around to see if anyone has any ideas. It wont be coming with up in the mountains or anything like that. Mostly be used for camping at easy to get to destinations, mostly my home state of MN. I will be insulating it and spray foaming the floor for insulation. Ill be covering the floor with rubber flooring as it's easier to maintain and clean. Ill be getting a couple RV windows to add onto the sides. Was thinking of fold down bunks, but may just go with some disc cots. Thinking of a more open floor plan, so it can double as a it's intended purpose and to allow me to bring my atv if I want to. Not looking to hook up water or toilet. I'd like to keep anything I put in light. If you guys have any ideas I'd like to hear them! Thanks!

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
Might want to add stabilizing jacks, battery/LED lighting (both inside and out), roof vent (if it doesn't already have one).

Disco cots work well and sleep comfortably, but do take a few minutes putting up/breaking down...

CO-AJ

WKR
Add some safety locks to the ramp so you can lock it from the inside but could pop the locks and escape out the back if needed. There are also some locks that allow you to vent the ramp for increased airflow. Be cautious of cutting holes in the sides for windows as that can degrade the structural rigidity of the trailer. Lastly, throw a Moor-Ryde suspension under it or everything inside will be cracked, broken, or thrown about from it bouncing down the road.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
Here is mine, fully insulated, 12 and 120 volt systems. LED lights all around, can sleep 5, heat it with either a big buddy heater or an electric heater which I power with my generator, and the best thing after a long day hunting, the microwave. To do list this summer, between camping and fishing trips, a diesel heater and flipping the axles from above the springs to below them, I need the extra ground clearance as the aluminium piece under the rear doors keeps getting beat up. Any questions, ask away, and the best thing you can do, is if you think you have enough storage, you don't, so plan accordingly.
IMG-6088.jpgIMG-6089.jpgIMG-6090.jpg

I added 25 large screw in cup hooks around the perimeter to hang up clothes, towels etc. We painted ours with two coats of paint over the plywood walls (it came insulated), ceiling and floor. I added an external plywood deck to the front as mine isn’t a V-nose (good for holding the Honda generator on to run the freezer I sometimes take along in the truck canopy). A paper towel holder above my folding table (from the dollar store) is great to have. A broom that stands in the corner between two cup hooks and is secured with thin stretch cord for traveling makes keeping the floor clean a snap.

A few tie down rings on the floor for the atv or securing other things are needed. Make sure you have a spare tire too. With rear stabilizing jacks down, you can lower the front jack to lift the wheels to change a tire. Good luck with it!

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
My good buddy has one like that. He uses his to haul a bunch of fat tire bikes as that is his primary hunting rig.

[He rides in on motorcycle trails and then hunts on foot]

He has a kitchen up against the front wall only...then fold down bunks that flip up against the sides when not in use so he can haul the bikes, quads, etc. Super simple setup, not very fancy.

_______-

Kimber22

Lil-Rokslider
Here is mine, fully insulated, 12 and 120 volt systems. LED lights all around, can sleep 5, heat it with either a big buddy heater or an electric heater which I power with my generator, and the best thing after a long day hunting, the microwave. To do list this summer, between camping and fishing trips, a diesel heater and flipping the axles from above the springs to below them, I need the extra ground clearance as the aluminium piece under the rear doors keeps getting beat up. Any questions, ask away, and the best thing you can do, is if you think you have enough storage, you don't, so plan accordingly.
View attachment 180401View attachment 180402View attachment 180403
How big is this? I want to do something very similar.

View attachment 180401View attachment 180402View attachment 180403
Which diesel heater are you looking at...was looking at cubic mini stove for something like this but on a trailer with timbren axles.

Went in with some buddies and bought this trailer for going out west. It was already setup about perfect, all we added was some new flooring, some lights, and a boot warmer over the propane heater. Also tore out the corner bathroom and opened it up for storage and a place for an electric heater to sit. Do not have any updated pictures.
25a7a194442cd13bc529855c3798dbcf.jpg
1718f5bc8cfd75e997084909f326c0b9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Very cool ideas a special thank you to those who shared pics of their setups. I am a visual person, so this was extremely helpful. I had never thought of upgrading the suspension and I will end up doing this as I think it will also help with the ride to and from locations and there is a lot of time and money wrapped up into what is inside of the trailer. My dad always told me to take care of what you have! I am not sure how I am going to do storage though. I may just use removable plastic tubs I can lash to the walls during transport. I live in minnesota where a lot of guys have big ice houses with cabinetry in them. I always noticed that the stuff in cupboards and drawers was just thrown around because of shifting during transport and lord help you if you forgot to secure the cupboard door closed :p. A heater is something I am thinking about and I know I can get a propane wall mount from my brother who has a spare from his old Ice shack, but I am not sure how or where I would put it. I may decide on that after I get the layout established. Ill definately have it rigged for 12/20 volt, insulated, sleep accommodations, "toy hauler", properly vented to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, lighting inside and out, latches inside for both door and ramp. As I said before I may just use cots for the beds I have a good amount of experience with fold out bunks, but the metal manufactured ones are super expensive and the 2x4 made ones are will be too bulky if I want to continue to use the trailer for it's original purpose, but both work great. My dad tells me I need to put a gun rack in there to complete the redneck setup lol. I told him if I am going total redneck I am going to put a gun cabinet in there. Thank you everyone! if you have more recommendations keep them coming!

I am in the beginnings of getting mine set up. I bought a 16X8.5 with a slight V last fall. Getting ready to do a Raptor spray in bed liner for the floor. Just ordered everything to put battery powered LED lights (the one in the trailer only works when hooked to the truck) on the inside and one on the outside. Will be using the Dexter Over/Under kit to flip the axels. The trailer came with a roof vent, but I need to figure out a way to block or close the side vents as driving in the snow or down dusty roads fills the interior with dust / snow.

Thanks for the idea of the improved suspension. I will probably do this as well.

I am planning on just running a cot in the trailer when I want to sleep in it. I typically backpack in after taking my SxS as far as possible, so this will only be the arrival night, or if changing where the truck is parked.

I will try to take some pictures when it is all done.

When I was in namibia the overland truck toppers had a levered scoop/cowling on top that you could close or open. You would open it when you started driving so that when you started moving the air was forced in and blocked rain..but does not work when you are behind someone on a two track. However when all the side vents are closed it creates positive pressure in the trailer so dust does not get through all the seals. Worked great.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
How big is this? I want to do something very similar.
It's a 7'x14', with 6'6" inside height.
Packin_packout, I haven't quite found one that I like yet, thought about the chinese version, but there is a lot of bad reviews, so I have been looking at Espar or Webasto.
NJDiverDan, mine came with the upper front and lower rear vents, I left them be for awhile, but they scooped up the dust really bad, So when I went to insulate it, I had some old shower board left over from a home project, that I cut some square pieces and used some construction adhesive and glued them over the holes of the vents. If I need ventilation, I'll open the window a little bit.

137buck, That's exactly the placement of my vents. I am thinking of making a sliding vent closure so I can still open them for highway driving (dries the interior out nicely) but close them when needed. I do not have a window in mine.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
137buck, That's exactly the placement of my vents. I am thinking of making a sliding vent closure so I can still open them for highway driving (dries the interior out nicely) but close them when needed. I do not have a window in mine.

you could always install a couple butterfly vents. That would be pretty cheap and simple for what you are describing. I might be wrong though.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to do the same thing as what you are thinking about, but you know how fine this dust here in western Montana, that stuff seems to find its way into everything.

I was going to do the same thing as what you are thinking about, but you know how fine this dust here in western Montana, that stuff seems to find its way into everything.

Positive pressure is the only way to keep dust out from my research. I have a roof vent fan that can both push and pull air, with a plastic deflector that faces the rear.

The guys in Australia that drive hundreds of miles in fine dust pulling camper trailers claim it works great.