DIY Auto Trickler

sdupontjr

WKR
I've been using my Hornady Trickler for some time now and decided to look into an auto trickler. Man, those things were $150 and up for something so simple. So, I got online and looked at several different DIY and other builds and came up with my own. All the credit goes to the ideas that I gathered from others. To my surprise, it was very easy and also very cheap compared to a store bought one. My total build cost was $37.20. I wanted to share this because too many times I've seen things like this only to be sold for way too much money and "scalp" the general public. I'm all for helping out the other guy. So here is my list of items used.

Material list: (everything bought off amazon)

- 1.5" screw tap pvc cap (2 pack) - $4.84
- PWM switch (has an offsetting and then works like a rheostat switch) - $6.99
- AA battery holder (2 pack) - $4.99
- 15pc cell phone coin style vibrating motors - $12.99
- Waterproof box (only used the top for easy access to change batteries) - $7.39
- 1/4" rubber hose (already had)
- 6 small screws (already had)
- 1/4" metal tube 3" long (already had)
- JB plastic weld (already had)

I decided to raise it up some so that I could get it to work with my Lyman M5 beam scale. So I raised the PVC up enough and also added some rubber hose to the feet as well. That way it doesn't dampen the PVC cap when vibrating. I ended up using 3 of the coin vibrating motors because I can always turn it down. Unlike the other models that I say, you had 2 buttons. A fast and a slow trickle. This way, I have as slow as I want or wide open fast trickle. I usually use my Lee scoops to get it real close then trickle away. As soon as I see the beam slightly move, I dial it way back. Then when I get real close, I can drop 1 kernel of Varget at a time to fine tune. When done, simply dump the remaining powder back into my containers.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Looks like the third leg of the rubber tube mounts is longer than the other two to give it a slight slope towards the tube, or is that just the illusion of the photo?

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
It is longer. About 3/8" - 1/2" longer. When I dump the powder in at first, about 3 kernels fall out through tube into pan. Once I fill it, no more comes out until I want them to. Dump pan back in pvc cap and ready to go.

WoodBow

WKR
This is very cool. What is the advantage over a manual trickler? Just faster? I have only ever used a manual one. I set my powder dumper just the tiniest bit light and then walk it up on the scale.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
I loaded about 30 the other day to do some testing. I filled it up, not quite full, and had plenty leftover. It it would dispense a little faster, I wouldnt need to scoop with the Lee scoops. But it gets me real close.

But yes, I cal turn switch wide open, and it runs out pretty fast. When I see my s ale start to move, I dial back and then slow it down so it will single feed a kernel of varget.

WoodBow

WKR
I loaded about 30 the other day to do some testing. I filled it up, not quite full, and had plenty leftover. It it would dispense a little faster, I wouldnt need to scoop with the Lee scoops. But it gets me real close.

But yes, I cal turn switch wide open, and it runs out pretty fast. When I see my s ale start to move, I dial back and then slow it down so it will single feed a kernel of varget.
I see. So I'm guessing you don't have an adjustable manual powder dispenser. That makes sense.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
I do but to be honest, I never even took it out the wrapper. It came with my hornady lock n load kit. The table I made, to keep peace with the wife, was 3' long by 2' deep. Small but exactly what I needed. Sure il like it to be bigger but considering what I do, it's enough. I have and had used the hornady manual trickler but when I saw how easy this was to build, figured why not. Plan on putting doors on it so it looks clean.