Who’s still running balance beams?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a combination of balance beams and digital but mostly beams and I cross check every so often. That being said, I like my beams to be eye level. My buddy saw my shelf that I put up and he gave me what he uses.......an angled mirror so if you are standing or sitting, you can just look down and be precise with the tick mark.

Randy20231119_160740.jpg20231119_160748.jpg20231119_160841.jpg20231119_160829.jpg

HGL

FNG
I generally throw is short, on purpose, with my electronic dispenser (0.1-0.2) and trickle up the final load on my old 5-0-5. Adds a step but it's peace of mind for my reloading OCD.

Now, if I had an A&D FX level electronic scale, that might change things...

TomJoad

WKR
well that's not good news on the digital scale as i just picked one up. i'll have to compare it to the beam scale i've been using.
I haven’t found the scale inherently inaccurate. But it’s slow. It doesn’t refresh very fast so it often goes from under to over when trickling. If you throw under and trickle, beams are easier and faster. They are also so much more reliable. I’d see things drift enough with the check weights on the digital that I’d always start reloading with scale calibration. Calibration doesn’t take forever, but it’s all time. The 10-10 doesn’t deviate, check weights are just on.

TomJoad

WKR
I use a combination of balance beams and digital but mostly beams and I cross check every so often. That being said, I like my beams to be eye level. My buddy saw my shelf that I put up and he gave me what he uses.......an angled mirror so if you are standing or sitting, you can just look down and be precise with the tick mark.

RandyView attachment 629605View attachment 629607View attachment 629608View attachment 629609
Love this. It’s going into my shop queue.

sdupontjr

WKR

RandyView attachment 629605View attachment 629607View attachment 629608View attachment 629609
Now that is something i could use. That is the only issue I have with my beam scale is bending over to see the 0.

JJCascade

FNG
I haven’t found the scale inherently inaccurate. But it’s slow. It doesn’t refresh very fast so it often goes from under to over when trickling. If you throw under and trickle, beams are easier and faster. They are also so much more reliable. I’d see things drift enough with the check weights on the digital that I’d always start reloading with scale calibration. Calibration doesn’t take forever, but it’s all time. The 10-10 doesn’t deviate, check weights are just on.
thanks for that feedback. i have always filled a small cup with powder and scooped onto the beam scale so nothing has ever been very fast.

wyosam

WKR

I like mine at eye level, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I use both, if they match everything is good. If they don’t, have to figure out which ones off. Keeps both honest that way.