DIY Dyneema "Gundom"

TomJoad

WKR
Howdy RS,

I make a good amount of cut & sew equipment. I thought I'd post a few things that were new for my 2020 hunts which worked out great. First up an ultra light rifle scabbard made from the lightest laminate dyneema. I used a walnut blue rifle in the field so always have a weatherproof cover for it to use for storms and leaving it out of the tipi overnight. This one turned out AWESOME. I beat the hell out of it backpack hunting CO and it not only held up great but was very easy on and off, smaller than a film canister when not in use and UNDER 8 grams (0.28oz)!

You all should consider making this simple but effective prophylactic, safe but comfortable, almost like your wearing nothing at all 😂

Here she is in all her gundom glory:

IMG_0227.jpgIMG_0229.jpgIMG_0230.jpgIMG_0231.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really nice and I like the weight. How was the weather resistance, especially at the seams?
And where did you find the Dyneema?

I’m looking at making something like this to mount on the deck of my raft, only with a roll closure.

OP
TomJoad

TomJoad

WKR
That looks really nice and I like the weight. How was the weather resistance, especially at the seams?
And where did you find the Dyneema?

I’m looking at making something like this to mount on the deck of my raft, only with a roll closure.

Thx I like working with the stuff. The weather resistance is: completely weather resistant. This is fully laminated sailcloth used in World Cup level racing boats, not air or water permeable. The gundom isn’t taped but I’ve made tarps and dry bags that I’ve taped from this weight as well as heavier ply material. You can also seam seal it with conventionally. Using this cover for fall winter hunting in co I have no need to seal this, not enough moisture. I did have two days of storms this year and no issues with moisture. One of those days was a 3 mile section of the continental divide off trail in 50mp winds (rough storm). If I hunted WA or AK I’d likely seam seal this one like my tarp.

this material came directly from the manufacturer in AZ, I’m in the bag/equipment business and am fortunate to have a lot of extra material hanging around. You can get the same material here.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t have a sewing machine or know how to sew so I bought some gore Tex fabric and tape to do the same thing for my flintlock. Dynema would be MUCH better! Is there a tape option for Dynema?

OP
TomJoad

TomJoad

WKR
I don’t have a sewing machine or know how to sew so I bought some gore Tex fabric and tape to do the same thing for my flintlock. Dynema would be MUCH better! Is there a tape option for Dynema?
You can tape dyneema but it’s very fussy since the yarn has a low melt point. I’d recommend seam sealing with something like aquaseal. I wouldn’t spend the money on goretex since you don’t want this to breathe. A better alternate would be sil-nylon 10D or 30D. Like dyneema laminate, sil-nylon is super slippery and as a result challenging to sew as it moves around a lot.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
You can tape dyneema but it’s very fussy since the yarn has a low melt point. I’d recommend seam sealing with something like aquaseal. I wouldn’t spend the money on goretex since you don’t want this to breathe. A better alternate would be sil-nylon 10D or 30D. Like dyneema laminate, sil-nylon is super slippery and as a result challenging to sew as it moves around a lot.

So you can just glue it together? That’s about my speed...

OP
TomJoad

TomJoad

WKR
So you can just glue it together? That’s about my speed...
No you need to sew it traditionally and the optionally you can seal the seam with adhesive after if you want it fully water tight.

Thx I like working with the stuff. The weather resistance is: completely weather resistant. This is fully laminated sailcloth used in World Cup level racing boats, not air or water permeable. The gundom isn’t taped but I’ve made tarps and dry bags that I’ve taped from this weight as well as heavier ply material. You can also seam seal it with conventionally. Using this cover for fall winter hunting in co I have no need to seal this, not enough moisture. I did have two days of storms this year and no issues with moisture. One of those days was a 3 mile section of the continental divide off trail in 50mp winds (rough storm). If I hunted WA or AK I’d likely seam seal this one like my tarp.

this material came directly from the manufacturer in AZ, I’m in the bag/equipment business and am fortunate to have a lot of extra material hanging around. You can get the same material here.
Thanks for the info on your project. I’m definitely going to make a version of this.

I have a clear roll top gun sleeve that is getting sticky due to degradation of the material. I looked at the Nomar sleeve and it’s really cool but too much weight and bulk for my needs. Your solution is pretty close to what I have in mind.

I used to work in the outdoor industry and had access to dcf, silnylon and practically everything Cordura makes, and a lot of milspec stuff as well. It’s fun when you have so many options to experiment with.

OP
TomJoad

TomJoad

WKR
Well as it happens I’ve had a couple PMs from folks interested in purchasing. Not starting a business here no sponsorship yet @Ryan Avery but if I can find 5-10 willing participants I’ll knock them out over a weekend. PM me if interested and if we can at least get 5 I’ll do it.

Erict

WKR
Nice simple bag. A rolltop closure may make your bag design even more waterproof with little extra weight/bulk, like in this:

BASSFAN07

FNG
Sweet. I’d be interested in one. What’s thought on pricing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TomJoad

TomJoad

WKR
Nice simple bag. A rolltop closure may make your bag design even more waterproof with little extra weight/bulk, like in this:

Funny I actually started with rolltop. I made one years ago and it worked great but was much bulkier. I used small 20mm webbing but still created a lot more mass. A lot was heavier dyneema but rolling is inherently bulkier and the drawstring holds closed really well with DCF, no secondary closures needed. Since I always travel barrel up so it’s not a weather concern for my use.

here’s the old rain cover: 4.8oz vs 0.28oz. Still pretty small but WAY bigger than a film canister.

42E3EB66-321B-4FC5-8D3E-59C002A31BAA.jpeg
275BC564-7D28-4353-9283-C9EEDD1DDB76.jpeg
0B0ADAC8-D41E-45D4-8477-1205F86A2A65.jpeg

OP
TomJoad

TomJoad

WKR
Sweet. I’d be interested in one. What’s thought on pricing?

Super, I’m doing a tally and seeing how much material I have. We’re already around 10 so not sure if I’ll have enough to make any more. If I do I’ll let you know and send you details in PM.

BASSFAN07

FNG
Super, I’m doing a tally and seeing how much material I have. We’re already around 10 so not sure if I’ll have enough to make any more. If I do I’ll let you know and send you details in PM.

Thanks!!

I see that your material is spoken for, but if you find more please count me in as well.

Also a walnut stock rifleman here. The solohunter cover doesnt keep snow out.
Cheers

OP
TomJoad

TomJoad

WKR
I see that your material is spoken for, but if you find more please count me in as well.

Also a walnut stock rifleman here. The solohunter cover doesnt keep snow out.
Cheers
Will do. I’m going to pull the roll out this week and see how many yards remain.

For those of you who signed up, I haven’t forgotten about this project, just spent the holidays in family mode!

OP
TomJoad

TomJoad

WKR
Some bad news for you all who were asking if I would make a few. I hesitantly agreed to make a batch so long as I could find 5-10 interested parties. I SURE DID find those interested parties. So today I FINALLY got around to unrolling the DCF and low and behold only 2 YARDS! This stuff is so razor thin its always impossible to get a sense of how much is left on the roll. I figured I had 10-20 yards left but alas only 2. This amount would only make around 4 covers (not worth the effort) and on top of that leave me with no material for new gear projects.

Really sorry for stringing you guys along with this. I wouldn't have minded doing it if I had the material but sadly I just don't.

For those of you who are so inclined you can try to DIY your own. It's a pretty easy project if you have a running home sewing machine. Similar material can be found here if you want to try to tackle it: (not sure its the exact weight and layup but should be close):

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collec...ts/0-34-oz-dyneema-composite-fabric-ct0-3e-08