DIY EPOXY GARAGE / SHOP FLOOR COATINGS

xajoles

FNG
My new garage is almost done and I want the brand new concrete floor coated before either of the following occurs: a)winter arrives or b) I have to change oil/tranny fluid/hydro fluid/etc and do an Exon Valdez all over the floor.

No, I’m not going to hire it done. Got bids already, lowest is about $3 billion and would require a new mortgage. Oh, and as a plus, the earliest anyone can do it is December/January so that’s a no it’s a DIY or bust.

For background, the garage is 24×30. I do a lot of mechanical stuff, outboards, small engines, ag equipment, aircraft engines (non-turbine only now due to neighborhood Karen’s constant b!tching about test-runs) , etc. Lots of fluid spills and inevitable.

Interested in hearing from those of you who have done it yourself. What product did you use and how is it holding up?

I did the Rustoleum stuff on my parent’s last 2 garages. I would not have done that product, but that’s what dad wanted to do/pay for. My impressions are that it’s okay for the cost and if you don’t mind redoing parts of it every few years. I won’t be going with this for my garage.

Have heard good things about Epoxy-Coat products. Anyone done this brand and how many mils did you do? Major concern with this one is how slippery is it when done?

Other DIY products/systems you recommend?

• Banned
OP
X

xajoles

FNG
My new garage is almost done and I want the brand new concrete floor coated before either of the following occurs: a)winter arrives or b) I have to change oil/tranny fluid/hydro fluid/etc and do an Exon Valdez all over the floor.

No, I’m not going to hire it done. Got bids already, lowest is about $3 billion and would require a new mortgage. Oh, and as a plus, the earliest anyone can do it is December/January so that’s a no it’s a DIY or bust.

For background, the garage is 24×30. I do a lot of mechanical stuff, outboards, small engines, ag equipment, aircraft engines (non-turbine only now due to neighborhood Karen’s constant b!tching about test-runs) , etc. Lots of fluid spills and inevitable.

Interested in hearing from those of you who have done it yourself. What product did you use and how is it holding up?

I did the Rustoleum stuff on my parent’s last 2 garages. I would not have done that product, but that’s what dad wanted to do/pay for. My impressions are that it’s okay for the cost and if you don’t mind redoing parts of it every few years. I won’t be going with this for my garage epoxy flooring McAllen.

Have heard good things about Epoxy-Coat products. Anyone done this brand and how many mils did you do? Major concern with this one is how slippery is it when done?

Other DIY products/systems you recommend?
I gotta get on this quick-like. Thanks, guys as usual for all the advice.

Geewhiz

WKR
I'm in the same boat. My garage is about 24x27. Its finished and I'm afraid to do anything on it before it has a coating on it. Some sort of epoxy I think is what I would like but I don't know anything about it. My father in law did the rustoleum about a year ago and says he likes it so far but i've read alot of mixed reviews.

11boo

WKR
I *think* your concrete needs to be fully cured for anything. I believe a cheap test is to tape down a 12x12” piece of plastic and see if any condensation forms.

Button

WKR
Made made a thread on this a couple weeks ago.
I’m going most liking going with polyaspartic and going to do it myself if I can find a grinder to rent locally. Not keen on grinding the whole floor with my hand grinder.

Button

WKR
From watching videos of people that do it for a living go with a ton of vinyl flakes

Just about any epoxy with some grit(sand) in it will do the trick.. Rust-o-leum will work. Tnemic is a great product but haven't looked it up in awhile to see if it still exist. Prep work is key#1 way to make even a sub par product out perform a top tier product tha was applied to a non prepped floor.

It can be expensive even if you do it yourself, so maybe even consider doing part of your floor in epoxy.

For the record, this was just covered in the last 2 weeks

Button

WKR

huntnful

WKR
I did mine with some specific garage floor epoxy from home depot. The advertising shows it only comes in like 5 colors, but when I went there they said it could be done in any color. I just etched the concrete with a solution and scrub brush first. Once it dried (at least a day later) I did one straight coat of epoxy, no flakes. Once that coat fully dried, I went back over and coated it again and my cousin was behind me sprinkling the flakes into the second layer of wet epoxy. It actually turned out pretty decent, but wish I would have went with a more gray color with tan/black flakes to hide dirt better lol. My brother got his professionally done for like $3k and it looks 5X better than mine haha. But I think mine cost like $300 in the end and still works great. Nothing stains it, you can wipe out right up off it. And just pressure wash it once a year or whatever. It's seven years old now.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
You might check out Garage Journal. They have a full section dedicated to floors.