Garage Floor Sealing?

I'm moving into a new to me house, and am wondering about sealing the garage floor. I'm not looking for a fashion statement or design feature, really just looking for something that will clean up easily and not stain from motor oil, blood, etc. I've done enough research to determine a DIY epoxy kit isn't the way I want to go. Can I/should I throw some concrete sealer down, do something else, or just embrace the fact that the concrete will be stained like every other house I've lived in?

BBob

WKR
Years ago when I built my shop I wanted the same as you, nothing fancy like epoxy. I consulted a White Cap supply in my area. They had me use Euclid Diamond hard as the base and another product on top that gets reapplied every year give or take. I'll see if I can find what that topcoat is later when I get out to the shop. It might be the Euclid Diamond Clear. Oil and spills just wipe up and don't soak in. Looks like concrete.

Edit: Thinking about this more the only reason we went with the Diamond Hard was this is a commercial type shop with steel casters, steel fab, machining and the like going on. For a home garage I'd skip the Diamond Hard and just use the sealer. We only re-apply the sealer now and then in high traffic areas.

Last edited:
OP
DenimChicken
Years ago when I built my shop I wanted the same as you, nothing fancy like epoxy. I consulted a White Cap supply in my area. They had me use Euclid Diamond hard as the base and another product on top that gets reapplied every year give or take. I'll see if I can find what that topcoat is later when I get out to the shop. It might be the Euclid Diamond Clear. Oil and spills just wipe up and don't soak in. Looks like concrete.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

matthewmt

WKR
Liquid diamond clear, just roll it out. Should last more than a yr espc on a interior floor. Could add shark bite to it for a more abrasive/slip resistant texture while keeping a clear coat.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
So yeah the Diamond Clear. Thinking about this more the only reason we went with the Diamond Hard was this is a commercial type shop with steel casters, steel fab, machining and the like going on. For a home garage I'd skip the Diamond hard and just use the sealer. We only re-apply the sealer now and then in high traffic areas.

matthewmt

WKR
Throw some acid stain down in whatever colors with a spray bottle. Use a scrub brush to agitate and wash off in 20 min with simple green and seal it after drying

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
DenimChicken
I put down some Dayton JV22UV Cure and Seal on my pops’s concrete pad this summer and have about 2 gallons left. It’s an acrylic copolymer cure. Would that be good enough?

mi650

WKR
Looking back, I should have paid to have mine done.

New garage build, waited 60 days to do the epoxy. Instructions said at least 30 days. Now it's coming up in several spots, has been for 5-6 years. It's 9 years old. IIRC, we waited 60 days to drive on it, too.

ETA: My son has the same epoxy on his, same color & flake too. It was there when he bought the house, and was professionally done. His looks great.

OP
DenimChicken
Looking back, I should have paid to have mine done.

New garage build, waited 60 days to do the epoxy. Instructions said at least 30 days. Now it's coming up in several spots, has been for 5-6 years. It's 9 years old. IIRC, we waited 60 days to drive on it, too.

ETA: My son has the same epoxy on his, same color & flake too. It was there when he bought the house, and was professionally done. His looks great.
I’ve read quite a few similar stories. I don’t really want to go through the effort of prepping for epoxy and the eventual repair.

I’m pretty convinced I’m just going to roll some sealer on. I’ll stop by the local concrete place and see if what I have is good enough or if they’d like to sell me something else.

JCooper

FNG
You might check out Dayton Superior J35. They make an additive to keep it from being too slick.