DIY gun stock finish

Done a stock on a older .257 Roberts used the textured krylon stone, holding up well I would post a pic but being a computer neanderthal its a no go. The rifle originally had a fiber stock on it the was horible as too looks, took me a while too get my nerve up to do it but am glad now I did.
That krylon stone worked well for me too. The new composite stock was slick and black. I tried different camo patterns and they always turned out looking goofy so I used the olive drab green since I had the most left over and just painted the whole thing one color. Nice texture, no shine and it’s held up great for a dozen years of beating it through the brush.

Icky26

FNG
That krylon stone worked well for me too. The new composite stock was slick and black. I tried different camo patterns and they always turned out looking goofy so I used the olive drab green since I had the most left over and just painted the whole thing one color. Nice texture, no shine and it’s held up great for a dozen years of beating it through the brush.
Glad to hear your work is holding up. I'm hoping for the same, but the nice thing is it doesn't, you can start over again. Do remember what clear coat you used?

Glad to hear your work is holding up. I'm hoping for the same, but the nice thing is it doesn't, you can start over again. Do remember what clear coat you used?
I didn’t use anything over it, seems to be fine without. Even a little gun oil or whatever hasn’t really been a problem on it either maybe a little darker here or there which isn’t a big deal, it’s a user. The texture is the perfect amount of grip for me. I just scuffed the whole thing and wiped it down with something, probably rubbing alcohol or thinner? been to long to remember, but it’s held up way longer than I thought it would. I thought about trying a different color or maybe some sort of camo but it still looks good enough and I don’t want to mess with all the mojo that rifle seems to have…
32F0A482-52DB-4B0D-9863-90B8007228BD.jpeg
B07E78C9-637D-4793-ACB9-FD2949640004.jpeg

Icky26

FNG
I didn’t use anything over it, seems to be fine without. Even a little gun oil or whatever hasn’t really been a problem on it either maybe a little darker here or there which isn’t a big deal, it’s a user. The texture is the perfect amount of grip for me. I just scuffed the whole thing and wiped it down with something, probably rubbing alcohol or thinner? been to long to remember, but it’s held up way longer than I thought it would. I thought about trying a different color or maybe some sort of camo but it still looks good enough and I don’t want to mess with all the mojo that rifle seems to have…
View attachment 396166
View attachment 396167
Looks good. Can't argue with not messing with its mojo. This was a new rifle for me, so it was a good time to try a first time paint job

Looks good. Can't argue with not messing with its mojo. This was a new rifle for me, so it was a good time to try a first time paint job
I saw your pictures, I like it. Reminds me of the first lite specter camo. I like the web stuff, I wonder if I add that to the green if the mojo would remain? It would look pretty cool…

Icky26

FNG
If you do, try some test sprays on some cardboard at different distances to gauge how thick the webbing applies. Mine seemed to apply thicker on the outer edge of the spray pattern

kkp005

WKR
I’ve done several. The marble spray gives a great look

Attachments

• 9CBE77F5-7624-4507-8CE5-D16E50FB3686.png
    9CBE77F5-7624-4507-8CE5-D16E50FB3686.png
    1,009 KB · Views: 82
  • D5046C52-7D39-4110-B686-2F309CDA177D.png
    D5046C52-7D39-4110-B686-2F309CDA177D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I painted this gun about 7 years ago with a mixed bag of paints to match the camo. When I finished the camo I put several clear coats on and it has held up very well.
I enjoyed painting it so much though I went ahead and bought and airbrush and have done several with duracoat and it is much easier to work with and more durable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220330-055520_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220330-055520_Gallery.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 83
OP
Hunt eat repeat
Do you have any brand preference or will any matte finish paint work well?
The couple I have done I used a high quality spray paint for the local hardware store. The automotive spray cans from the auto parts store work well if you can find colors you like.

WCB

WKR
What's the best paint to use? Should a guy saty away from a gloss paint?
I use rustoleum and Krylon...no issues with either one. I use all flat/matte types and clear coat with a matte clear coat. Clean the stock really well and you will have no issues. I have also always use a base primer let it completely dry first.

No idea why a guy would use gloss

Sorry no photos, but I have had good results w/ Rustoleum's Flat Camo spray paints. I really like the bedliner paint another member posted. Going to have to give that a try.

kjw

WKR
Some great ideas and results been wanting to do a rifle or two of mine but like it was mentioned, I hate to mess with the mojo she’s got. 😬