DIY Kifaru Woobie - which outer materials?

Hello, I'm looking at making my own Kifaru Woobie. I'm planning on using 3.6 oz apex insulation and 1.0 oz Hyper D (20D) from ripstop by the roll. I'm wondering if I should use a heavier fabric and if perhaps I should use a silnylon as an outer?

Primary uses will be for glassing in could weather, used in place of puffy pants and heavier insulated boots. I will also use it to sleep with along with a down quilt if it's super cold.

I'm interested to hear what everyone else has used! Thanks

Here is a comparison of tent fabrics. https://seekoutside.com/blog/tent-fabrics-a-comparison-of-fabric-types/. Id guess depending on what type you used it would be overkill for the whole outer. The woobie I have is pretty damn tough same as my kifaru sleeping bags, what ever that fabric is its incredibly tough. The Parka uses the same fabric as the others but has some reinforcements on the elbows and kangaroo pocket. Maybe that would be an idea to reinforce some strategic harder wearing areas with some sort of silnylon or 500d Cordura but use the lightest weight stuff you could for the rest...Good luck man!

I have bought a few Woobies & Doobies found in the RS classifieds and over the years have discovered SG Kelvins are warmer and more comfortable for glassing. The Woobie/Doobie is a great piece of kit suitable for many different scenarios.

Attachments

• IMGP4426.JPG
    IMGP4426.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 100

zacattack

WKR
I made one recently with 1.1oz silpoly and 1.6z hyperD and im very happy how it turned out
I made mine with the 1.6 hyper d and .66 taffeta membrane. The hyper d is nice, the .66 I’m not a fan of. I can’t imagine it’s going to hold up well. Next time I’ll go with something heavier.

My piece of apex was all over the place as far as thickness goes, but maybe that’s just how it is.

I made mine with the 1.6 hyper d and .66 taffeta membrane. The hyper d is nice, the .66 I’m not a fan of. I can’t imagine it’s going to hold up well. Next time I’ll go with something heavier.

My piece of apex was all over the place as far as thickness goes, but maybe that’s just how it is.
How has the 1.6 HyperD held up?

OP
Bowhunter50
Thanks everyone for the replies I think I'll order a silpoly/silnylon for the outer and a ripstop nylon for the inner. Looks like Apex is backordered on the ripstop by the roll website. Hopefully I'll be able to get this project started soon! I'll post my results when I'm done