Diy megatarp

elmcreek

FNG
As explained in post 61 its based off the width of your fabric. Measure 48" in from the edge, then measure from that point. Used the same measurement as the width of your fabric and wherever that measurement intersects with the edge is the answer to your question. In the diagram with 60" goods the answer is to your question is 36" from the inside seam edge. With 58" goods the answer is 32.56" from the inside edge.
Sorry to bring this up again, but I cant' seem to wrap my head around it. I've sewn the 7' ridge line and 4 corner stake loops. Ready to cut the angles on both ends (I'm putting a 'center zip annex' at both ends). My fabric is the 58" wide stuff.
"With 58" goods the answer is 32.56" from the inside edge." By 'inside edge' do you mean the ridge seam? I'm picturing that I am about to remove a right triangle shaped piece of material where my zipper will go. The 'height' or length of that right triangle is 48", the base is 32.5" wide, and the angled side (hypotenuse?) of the triangle is the same as the width of my fabric (58"), right? Once I cut it, I can't put it back!

Thanks! I've only had to pull a few inches of stitching so far...:)

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry to bring this up again, but I cant' seem to wrap my head around it. I've sewn the 7' ridge line and 4 corner stake loops. Ready to cut the angles on both ends (I'm putting a 'center zip annex' at both ends). My fabric is the 58" wide stuff.
"With 58" goods the answer is 32.56" from the inside edge." By 'inside edge' do you mean the ridge seam? I'm picturing that I am about to remove a right triangle shaped piece of material where my zipper will go. The 'height' or length of that right triangle is 48", the base is 32.5" wide, and the angled side (hypotenuse?) of the triangle is the same as the width of my fabric (58"), right? Once I cut it, I can't put it back!

Thanks! I've only had to pull a few inches of stitching so far...:)
Call me (573)465-1575

elmcreek

FNG
Ya. I had it in my head correctly, but we were looking at it from different directions. Much easier over the phone than typing back and forth - thanks again.

So, first pitch to check things out went well. Some of my sewing is pretty butt ugly, but serviceable. Left it up over night in pretty breezy conditions (10-15mph winds, gusting to who knows what). Used a mix a of stakes, even the 'burly' style titanium shepherd stakes held well. I've had them pull out in other shelters in these conditions.

Right now (w/o zippers on each end, stove jack, reinforced patches for the trek poles, side guyouts, or seam sealing) 15.5 oz! I think it will end up around 21-22oz, probably ~25oz w/stakes. I will try to get a picture of it when all done.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya. I had it in my head correctly, but we were looking at it from different directions. Much easier over the phone than typing back and forth - thanks again.

So, first pitch to check things out went well. Some of my sewing is pretty butt ugly, but serviceable. Left it up over night in pretty breezy conditions (10-15mph winds, gusting to who knows what). Used a mix a of stakes, even the 'burly' style titanium shepherd stakes held well. I've had them pull out in other shelters in these conditions.

Right now (w/o zippers on each end, stove jack, reinforced patches for the trek poles, side guyouts, or seam sealing) 15.5 oz! I think it will end up around 21-22oz, probably ~25oz w/stakes. I will try to get a picture of it when all done.
Yep that sounds about right on weight. Zippers, guy lines, and a stove jack add a little more weight but should be somewhere around what you're figuring.

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Great build. I am definitely going to give this a go. I may opt for one of RBTR's wide offerings that are 67"-72" wide.

How many yards did it take with the Vestibule?

Are you able to get the ends snug without have the midpoint tie out like shown in the Kifaru Video?

Last edited:
OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great build. I am definitely going to give this a go. I may opt for one of RBTR's wide offerings that are 67"-72" wide.

How many yards did it take with the Vestibule?

Are you able to get the ends snug without have the midpoint tie out like shown in the Kifaru Video?
11 yards total

Not sure you mean by mid point tie out.

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
On the end flaps, there is an additional tie out between the corner and the tip of the flap. The linked video shows it (although he didn't use it).

BFlan

FNG
You guys inspired me! First post and new member. Not completely finished on the gray tarp but wanted to pitch it to see if it needed any adjustments before I finished it. The gray tarp is made of RBTR XL silnylon.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys inspired me! First post and new member. Not completely finished on the gray tarp but wanted to pitch it to see if it needed any adjustments before I finished it. The gray tarp is made of RBTR XL silnylon.
Welcome to Rokslide but your pictures aren't showing up.

drrice

Lil-Rokslider
Well, here is my hand at the plans. Not totally finished with stake point or tie outs but I am struggling getting the peak to be tight.