DIY Nebraska rifle hunting

awallpe78

FNG
I am trying to plan a DIY rifle mule deer hunt on public land in Nebraska. Just wondered if anyone has any pointers or tips?

WKR
There isn't a lot of public land in Nebraska, and it's hunted HEAVILY during the very short rifle season.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Look in the upper right hand corner of the site, you will see a search function, just search for "Nebraska" and you will see a bunch of posts pop up where we have discussed hunting Nebraska before and pretty much the most common answer is what "307" just posted.

However you will also see where a few people have wentr DIY and had success by walking their butts off getting away from the road etc. so it can be done.

also, it's bad juju to post a question like this as your first post on rokslide or any other hunting forum, people are more likely to help u out via PM once you have stuck around and contributed on the forum some

I am trying to plan a DIY rifle mule deer hunt on public land in Nebraska. Just wondered if anyone has any pointers or tips?

The public in Ne is small. You can't walk far enough to get enough away from anything, because someone else with the same idea is coming from the other side.

Its like boat anglers fishing the bank, while bank anglers cast at the boats.

Its also surrounded by private with better habitat, and less pressure. so once the deer get bounced to private in early sept, they pretty much stay there till spring green up.

Combine that with cheap unlimited over the counter tags, and its a mission against all odds to find a satisfying deer adventure there.

But the game n fish, along with the chamber of commerce will gladly take your money.

Outdoor nebraska.gov then search public access atlas. Out here in chase we also have a phone book with maps showing who owns what land and who lives in what house in the country. You might be surprised on who will let you hunt if you go ask.

Lytro

WKR
Wear as much orange as possible and bring your Kevlar if you got it 😂
But seriously, I’ve talked to fish and game officers who say they won’t even go into the public areas during the rifle season because it’s that bad.

I reeeeaaaallllyyy get nervous even taking my dog with me to go fishing at the lake. But now that I think of it we have never had an accident that I've heard of nor any close calls. Knock on wood! Just hope hunters remember there hunt safety training. And no hoping out of your ride in the middle of the road!!!