DIY Pop-Up Frame

SLaCowboy

FNG
Just recently joined the fourm. I recently started diy sewing and I hope to build a bag this summer for whitetail. I have been trough every page here in the the diy sections. Some very talented people here. Has anyone tried there hand at a diy pop-up frame or something similar?

WoodBow

WKR
I have been thinking about it for a while. You could do a system like MR does. You could use tent poles of some kind.

In to hear ideas.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have thought about it a little.

Maybe a sheet frame, and build on a slot for a flat aluminum stay extension that rides between the frame and a permanent stay. I think flat will be easiest to work out the adjusting bit and lock it in the extended position with a pin or something between the frame and the permanent stay.

Or, a pair of rods that slipped into pockets behind a belt. You could have it slide all the way down in low mode, and then have a second set of pockets a few inches higher in tall mode. With the right rigging straps, it wouldn't come out. Pockets made of ballistic cordura covered with a webbing would be sturdy and wear really slowly. You could add some other harder material as well, just would depend on what kind of rod or stay you used. I think you would be stuck with straight stays.

OP
S

SLaCowboy

FNG
I recently thought of a collapsible luggage handle. I wondering if this would be sturdy enough.

I've thought about it a lot. Personally, I would use the original Pop Up system with fixed length aluminum rods. This allows you to cinch the bag down to the frame better when in low profile mode, and would probably be easier to source the parts.

The really difficult part to execute well will be replacing the upper futura harness. Has anyone come up with a good solution that maintains rigidity in the system? Not having made one without, I might be imagining a complication where there is none.

I've been obsessing about this a little bit today..... I have a feeling it won't stop until I make a solid go at building one now.

Personally--and I'm probably in a minority here--I wouldn't mind a Pop Up with a lighter/less stiff waist belt. When I was carrying a tree stand back into the woods I wouldn't have wanted this, but with my current lightweight saddle setup, it's preferred. Something like the Kifaru Omni Belt. This would make the pack hang better in a tree, and it wouldn't be too brutal hauling out a quartered deer for a mile or two either. You could make a swappable thick belt for occasions an even heavier load is typical or anticipated.

The Futura yoke could be replicated by a fixed length system (simple) or recreating the yoke (preferable) using a thin HDPE framesheet (1/16") with probably one or maybe two (1/8") aluminum stays.

There are of course a ton of directions to go with the pack, and countless improvements to be made to what Mystery Ranch designed; PALS webbing, extra frame attachment and lashing points, quieter material, tree stand friendly design, additional organization..... just to name a few.

@hereinaz , I like your pocket idea, but would you lose some of the load lifter benefits if the moveable stays don't run down the length of the pack?

OP
S

SLaCowboy

FNG
I basically was thinking along the same lines. A frame with ability of packing whitetail that is compact with multiple bag and lashing options. Could be used early and late season.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Whether in the low or tall position, it anchors low on the sheet frame and at the waist level, so the weight is transferred off the shoulders onto the waist.

High position is at the top of the belt low position is below.

It all stays tucked next to the sheet frame, so it will be easy to swap to high position.

Screenshot_20210223-195837_Keep Notes.jpg

I have thought about this for a very long time. A while back I modified Granite Gear Tactical Chief pack. I added aluminum stays to the frame and added frame stay extensions. It was my first iteration of an adjustable stay height frame and it was functional but needed some improvement. I haven't got around to building anything or designing a new system but I will post the pictures here for food for thought.

Basically the main stay had its own webbing channel, I made a slot rearward of the main channel for the smaller stay to slide into effectively raising the frame height about 4". The small stay was held down with a ladder lock on the back side. When not used the system folded back onto itself and was kept together with a couple hook and loop sections strategically sewn and the same ladder lock buckle as before.
7a9ad7b5dde71e24e34b8fd378edc29f.jpg
fe425edf482d149e16e29d264af8bc73.jpg
f7bbdb07ba355471f1737720770f01ed.jpg
94f85129344bee288da4ea0cb8cb62dd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Whether in the low or tall position, it anchors low on the sheet frame and at the waist level, so the weight is transferred off the shoulders onto the waist.

High position is at the top of the belt low position is below.

It all stays tucked next to the sheet frame, so it will be easy to swap to high position.

View attachment 267632
I like this idea. But I feel like the lower part of the frame sheet may need to be stiffened to make the higher stay position function well.

WoodBow

WKR
I have thought about this for a very long time. A while back I modified Granite Gear Tactical Chief pack. I added aluminum stays to the frame and added frame stay extensions. It was my first iteration of an adjustable stay height frame and it was functional but needed some improvement. I haven't got around to building anything or designing a new system but I will post the pictures here for food for thought.

Basically the main stay had its own webbing channel, I made a slot rearward of the main channel for the smaller stay to slide into effectively raising the frame height about 4". The small stay was held down with a ladder lock on the back side. When not used the system folded back onto itself and was kept together with a couple hook and loop sections strategically sewn and the same ladder lock buckle as before.
7a9ad7b5dde71e24e34b8fd378edc29f.jpg
fe425edf482d149e16e29d264af8bc73.jpg
f7bbdb07ba355471f1737720770f01ed.jpg
94f85129344bee288da4ea0cb8cb62dd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I could def make something along those lines work.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like this idea. But I feel like the lower part of the frame sheet may need to be stiffened to make the higher stay position function well.

As long as it is just above the belt, I think it will work. But, that is the question...

I do like the extension idea he made above.

My friend let me borrow his (my old) pack so I could examine it closer.

PXL_20210226_015058025.jpg

PXL_20210226_015119480.jpg

Let me know if you guys need any additional pictures or info. The sheet under the stays feels like it is 1/16", and the Hypalon-type material seems to be about the 16 oz type. I have 35 oz Hypalon on hand, so that will be what I use. Aluminum tubing in the stays is .049" wall.