Diy quilt

coop2424

WKR
The quilt is 55 inches wide by 83 inches long I basically made it like the woobie I have except the heavier apx insulation. I was thinking about putting a permanent foot box in it but I ended up putting the loops in instead. I got all the material from rip stop by the roll I think it was 140 with shipping.
View attachment 32828
View attachment 32829
View attachment 32830

Can you tell me which fabrics you used for outside and inside? I assume the poly nylon on the outside? Also if I am reading this right you got 3yards of 3 different fabrics but where is the 3rd fabric used? I thought one would be on the outside and another on the inside. Sorry for all the questions..

WoodBow

WKR
A great tip is to use those black spring paper clips instead of pins. I use them almost exclusively, especially with heavier material.

I completed a similar project last summer. I went with the tapered design similar to the EE quilts, and did a 25" zippered foot-box with draw cords on each end. I also made some elastic pad straps similar to the EE design. I used a paper template to trace the design onto the fabric. Once the fabric was cut out, I pinned both pieces together, along with all the attachment points and zipper. I sewed up both sides, leaving the top and bottom open. Turn the quilt right side out, and lay the quilt out on the insulation and cut it about 1/2" wider than the fabric. Roll the insulation up lengthwise and unroll inside the quilt. Once you get the fabric where you want it, sew around the entire perimeter making sure to catch the insulation (this will prevent the insulation from shifting). I rolled the ends to make a draw cord channel and fed the nylon draw cord through the channel.

All said and done, this project cost me about $120. I used the climashield apex 5.0 and had the quilt down into the low thirties during archery season, and into the low twenties during rifle season. Approximate dimensions are 57" wide tapering down to 40-44" at the bottom, and about 90" long.

My only regret is that I didn't make the quilt wider. I'm a big guy (wide) and would really like another 6" in width. The heavier weight climashield only comes in 60" width, and there are very few fabrics that come in a finished width great than 60". I know rip stop by the roll does have a few wider fabrics now, so that may be an option in the future. Finding wider climashield that's heavier than 3.6oz might be tough though.

coop2424

WKR
-ndbwhunter What fabric did you use on the exterior and interior and was it just one layer on the exterior and interior?

Thanks
Jared

-ndbwhunter What fabric did you use on the exterior and interior and was it just one layer on the exterior and interior?

Thanks
Jared

I just used one layer on each side. I used the 1.0oz nylon taffefa. He didn't have the 0.66oz membrane fabric then, otherwise I would have used that. Just make sure that you don't use anything that's coated. You need to use a breathable fabric to minimize condensation. I suppose you could use a sil/poly coated fabric on the exterior, but you'd have to make sure to air it out well.

OP
J

Jantonino

FNG
I used the ripstop and the taffeta for the quilt. I ordered the silpoly for another project i might attempt. I wasnt really sure what fabric to use so I looked on ripstop by the roll and saw what sombody else used so that is how i picked those two fabrics.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks really good. I was going to try this exact project but just bought an EE revelation instead. I may make one of these yet after this thread.

rcdinaz

FNG
This is awesome! I have wanted o ne of these for a long time but did not want to pay +$200. This is on my summer project list!

coop2424

WKR
I just ordered all the supplies to make two of these one for myself and another for a friend.. One will be sewn footbox and the other will be drawstring with either zipper or snaps.. I got the 10oz apex so should be pretty warm.. Should be in each one just a tad over $100 when finished. Will post pics if they turn out and if they don't this never was attempted... Haha