Zen bivy sheet/ enlightened equipment quilt

OP
fulltiltaudio

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like the wings fold up. Would an elastic cord with a small hook over the top not work? Or a round para cord/ elastic cord through a tensioner? Like a shoe lace.
I actually originally tried that with some shock cord, but I could feel the cord every time I moved and knew it would be annoying and felt like it defeated the purpose, that's when I came across the tenacious tape idea! Hoping I can test it out for a night this weekend!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
fulltiltaudio

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I'm kind of bummed, but that was a fail!! Unless I didn't do something right. The cordage ripped out of the tape within the first 20 minutes. It's possible that if it was a continuous loop maybe it would have been better, but the ends just came right out.

I think next will just be to sew on some loops and make them permanent. Kind of bummed as I really liked the idea of the tape so it wasn't so permanent, however I think I'll like it once I get the loops to actually stay so I think it will be worth it.
Will be a bit, but I will update once I sew them on!

Gutshotem

WKR
Well, I'm kind of bummed, but that was a fail!! Unless I didn't do something right. The cordage ripped out of the tape within the first 20 minutes. It's possible that if it was a continuous loop maybe it would have been better, but the ends just came right out.

I think next will just be to sew on some loops and make them permanent. Kind of bummed as I really liked the idea of the tape so it wasn't so permanent, however I think I'll like it once I get the loops to actually stay so I think it will be worth it.
Will be a bit, but I will update once I sew them on!

That sucks to hear. Please keep us updated on your progress and thanks for doing the thread.

OP
fulltiltaudio

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for the delay! Finally got around to sewing loops on and got to put it to the test. I've spent 2 seperate nights in it and it's been great! Overall I think it's gonna work perfectly! I love the amount of space I have in this over my enlightened equipment convert bag. Only downside to the zenbivy I see is that it doesn't seem as fast to be able to get out as a zipper out, as u have to find each hook/loop and unhook it. I've just left the top one off and slide out the top, so hasn't been a real big deal. I'm excited to truly put it to the test this year
0fced176c3f8aa213b02d41c47003e38.jpg
abf871bee7d927898a83a0456a22ac79.jpg
dcd786be0451c8ab6541b3aa5b20f306.jpg

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider

Just watched a video on this on YouTube and decided to see if anyone on here has tried this out. Looks like you came up with the same thing as this guy did. I’ll add the link above

OP
fulltiltaudio

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
If I had to pick a downside to this system, it's that the hooks and loops are not near as fast as a zipper would be to get in/out of the quilt. In cold weather I have them all hooked, and have to remove 2-3 of them at least to get out. Not necessarily a huge deal, but you have to find each of the hooks and undo them with both hands until you can slide out the top vs unzip and slip out the side.

As a side note.How come sleeping bag manufacturers don’t have spots to put clips.Like attaching a quilt to pad straps?
Wouldn’t it help if you toss and turn.

I've used these Zpacks stick on's before (DCF tent/tarp) and wonder how they'd work. I have a couple leftover extras and might test it if I order a Fast Sheet. There's one or two on the Backpacking Light forum that tried basically the same thing (grosgrain ribbon) so I'll have to search for a follow up on that. Un-clipping the 2mm cord would probably be easier than the ribbon and the cord isn't coming out by itself.

@BBob - Did you ever try these stick on loops?

BBob

WKR
@BBob - Did you ever try these stick on loops?
I didn't because I've misplaced the extra's I had. I'll take this as a reminder to see if I can find them or will order more. Will also have to squeeze this into the zillion other projects I always seem to have going :ROFLMAO:

Edit: I do have some DCF patch material that's the same as these for DCF. I'll stick a chunk on some nylon first to see how well it sticks first.

rashtack

FNG
I was able to make it work with tenacious tape and cord. It hasn't been put through any extreme use yet but it has survived some naps without the cord pulling out. I am able to pull on the cord pretty aggressively and it doesn't budge.