DIY Redcliff Copy Cat

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone,

So I made up my mind, I am going to try and build a copy cat Redcliff tipi. I mocked up the entire project last night in Sketchup, holy crap is that software great or what. Took me a little time and some google searches but I banged that out in last then an hour.

I've complied all of my measurements and material estimates, my question is for guys that have done this is do you create patterns out for your panels to trace down onto your material or are you drawing them onto the material via your measurements?

Thanks

gumbl3

WKR
I personally find it easier to layout with measurements, especially if it's all straight lines. It's easier to trace a heavy straight edge vs a cardboard or paper pattern

Willow

FNG
I won't waste time with a pattern unless I'm making a bunch. Because by the time you make a pattern you could have just laid out your measurements on the material. Make sure you get a washable fabric pen. That way you won't worry about making a mistake and having a bunch of pen marks.

Look at this on eBay 162149571563

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

OP
T

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Willow!

What about seams is a full flat felled seam the preferred seam to connect panels?

OP
T

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Willow.

Looking forward to sharing my project soon.

WoodBow

WKR
For my tipi I made a full size pattern from a 1x4 that I ripped in half. It worked very well. I just laid the pattern on fabric, traced around it with a soldering iron, flip the pattern, and repeat.

Any updates on your project? Would you be willing to share the sketch up file?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking of doing something similar, what material are you planning on using? I would think it would have to be XL if you wanted to keep the panels one piece.

OP
T

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Any updates on your project? Would you be willing to share the sketch up file?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I am starting on doing some pull outs and a cargo panel first before I tackle the shelter. I plan on doing a write up on all of them, stay tuned.

I'm thinking of doing something similar, what material are you planning on using? I would think it would have to be XL if you wanted to keep the panels one piece.

I plan on using silnylon from ripstopbytheroll, the main issue with trying to copy the Red Cliff is that there are 4 panels that are wider then the role (80 inches), I haven't been able to find any supplier where I can get a piece wider then ~58 inches. So the plan is to make them out of two pieces.

Here are the links to my sketch up files,I basically created them from looking at base image off of the Seekout Side site.

Red Cliff Files

Struggling on how to sew in the reinforcement for the center pole? Not to sure how this looks on the a production version, if anyone can share some pics or advice that would be great.

Thanks

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
your second file with the panels split in half is exactly how they build the red cliff since about the widest easily available material is still only 62-64". plus the flat felled seam running up each panel tends to reinforce it and gives you a place to attach a guy out point. pm me if you have any other questions and Ill help you out or send you some pictures.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
f67cea5820da7516f30d326787d610d6.jpg
you should try something like this. I used hyplon to ensure no matter the wind the pole wouldn't push though. Probably over kill but I could send you a piece if you want to try. If you secured it to both zipper tails your pole setup wouldn't have any stretch built in just use the guy outs for adjusting the fabric stretch. Been working on my personal copycat shelter for a couple years now
(Disregard the orange tab that's for my clothes line.)
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
T

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
your second file with the panels split in half is exactly how they build the red cliff since about the widest easily available material is still only 62-64". plus the flat felled seam running up each panel tends to reinforce it and gives you a place to attach a guy out point. pm me if you have any other questions and Ill help you out or send you some pictures.

Thanks Tim!! Right now I am trying to figure out how to cover the zipper. I don't know if its the zipper is lapped or its just a piece of material sewn into the panel covering the zipper

f67cea5820da7516f30d326787d610d6.jpg
you should try something like this. I used hyplon to ensure no matter the wind the pole wouldn't push though. Probably over kill but I could send you a piece if you want to try. If you secured it to both zipper tails your pole setup wouldn't have any stretch built in just use the guy outs for adjusting the fabric stretch. Been working on my personal copycat shelter for a couple years now
(Disregard the orange tab that's for my clothes line.)

Thanks for the offer, I will be sure to take you on your offer! Love the idea of sewing point for your cloths line into hyplon !!!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pm me your info and approx size needed. I'll try and do it Monday I'm heading out of town next week.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
The cover over the zipper is just a piece of 2" black grossgrain ribbon that is sewn onto one side, it has some pieces of velcro under it to allow it to stay stuck down to the opposite side of the zipper.

Last edited:
OP
T

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
The cover over the zipper is just a piece of 2" black grossgrain ribbon that is sewn onto one side, it has some pieces of velcro under it to allow it to stay stuck down to the opposite side of the zipper.

Thanks Tim.

Do you know how the loops on the inside of the tent are sewn in (clothes line)? Are they sewn in-between the seam or are they sewn over the seam?