DIY Rifle Attachment to Backpack

joedawjes

FNG
Has anybody made a quick-release rifle sling similar to what Stone Glacier makes? I have a pack with an X-Curve frame and think it wouldn't be terribly difficult to make. But I'm wondering if someone has made it before and if all the necessary buckles are easy to purchase

WoodBow

WKR
Looks very simple. Buckles can definitely be bought. Search plastic cam buckle. I don't see another buckle but there is probably one to adjust length on the part that holds the butt.

Also $25 seems like a reasonable price. But I get it. My first thought is always I can make that. Sometimes I wish I'd just bought it though.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
J

joedawjes

FNG
I agree that $25 isn't much. But I think I could make it for less than $7 plus it'd be a little side project.

Thanks for the info!

feanor

WKR
Do it. I’ve thought about it too. I’ve heard everyone that has one from all the brands talk about one draw back or so on each one. So maybe you can meld them and make the perfect holster. Let us know what you create.

I made and used it over this last hunting season. Overall, I didn't dislike it, but I prefer the positive control and quick speed found in the Kifaru Gunbearer design. I'd share pictures, but my gear is all packed away right now. To be honest, there's not much to it.

I made and used it over this last hunting season. Overall, I didn't dislike it, but I prefer the positive control and quick speed found in the Kifaru Gunbearer design. I'd share pictures, but my gear is all packed away right now. To be honest, there's not much to it.
NVM, it wasn't the SG sling I made, but similar..... Can't think of the brand name now....

Edit: Slik Sling! I could see making a Kifaru Gunbearer, then marrying it with a secondary option on the pack frame like this SG design. That might be the best of both worlds.

OP
J

joedawjes

FNG
Looks a lot like a Gunbearer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's pretty similar. I think the main differences are that the SG sling attaches to the frame and you don't carry the rifle under your arm. The under arm carry is what I like least about the Gunbearer.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, it's pretty similar. I think the main differences are that the SG sling attaches to the frame and you don't carry the rifle under your arm. The under arm carry is what I like least about the Gunbearer.
Me too. I recently bought a EXO gun cradle for my Kifaru belt, and the SG rifle sling attachment. I’ll post pics once I have it all together

susurrus

FNG
Late add to the string, but I recently tried this to keep a suppressed rifle muzzle from relaxing toward my back.

I mounted a QD flushcup (https://grovtec.com/collections/bases-flush-cups) on the right side of my stock (hollow synthetic stock) and an 8" loop of webbing around the back of my pack's waist belt with a QD sling swivel attached to it. Plug the swivel in, and it supports the weight of the rifle with butt fastened close to the pack. Simple push-button release.

Plan to mount another flushcup through the webbing on my pack's shoulder strap and attach a single webbing with the male swivel end to the top of my pack's frame to support the barrel. For now I use a piece of parachute cord and a hitching post knot (with practice, it's possible one-handed).

Flushcups were $17 on Ebay and 2 QD swivels on Temu (you're welcome China) were available for <$4, so not a bargain compared to the Stone Glacier, but fun to DIY. It's slightly lower profile and maybe lighter by 0.01 oz.

Only downside so far is that the swivel end needs to be tucked away when not used to prevent jingle jangling.