DIY Tarp Build, Solo Shelter

DIY Tarp Build Question, Solo Shelter

Hello all,

I'm new here to Rokslide and have already learned so much from you all! I am in the process of designing a couple different shelters to build. One will be a take on Kifaru's SuperTarp, with different dimensions.

The material I am planning on using will be from Rip Stop By The Roll. They offer the material in a 58" wide or 72" wide version, from there I will cut to the desired length. The widest length of fabric I need cut on each side of the tarp is 5' 3 5/16" (63.3125"). This is just for one side, I'll make two of these for the entire tarp with a flat felled seam in the middle.

If I were to purchase the 58" wide version of material I would have to cut into several different sections, therefore adding more sections and more seams to sew. Six pieces and 5 seams

If I purchased the 72" wide version, each side of the tarp would be fully cut out in one piece. Therefore the entire tarp is made of two pieces and only requires one flat fell seam in the middle.

My question is of strength. Obviously, there is a potential for weakening if the sewing is done incorrectly, but lets say the sewing is just fine. In fabric, what is stronger? Two piece construction/one seam or Six piece construction/5 seam?

Thank you

Last edited:
OP
TCUHunter34
View attachment 68062

Screenshot of the design from Sketchup. The two diagonal lines won't be part of the sewing process, I had to add those to be able to get the color in.

Beendare

WKR
I cant see your attachment...but as to seams....they add strength. It makes sense, eh....you have multiple layers of fabric sewn together...its going to be stronger.

So on my Tipi to add strength and create a more conical shape, I made it 12 sided....adds to the weight a little but the panels are smaller and you can really crank on those seams getting it drum tight.

OP
TCUHunter34
Makes sense, thank you for the answer. I didn't know if the simplicity of two pieces would outweigh the added strength of more seams, but putting it the way you did makes perfect sense.