Do coyotes pose a real threat?

Living in somewhat rural Southern California we deal with coyotes routinely and over the years they’ve done a number on our chickens at various times. That being said our dogs have done a good job at keeping them out while they’re outside, in particular our GSD. Recently the coyotes killed a neighbors husky (don’t have the details) and our GSD is getting up there in age, my question is do others think coyotes would hassle or attempt to kill our 40lb GSP. We’re looking to add another GSD pup so there’s no overlap in a larger more capable dog, am I overthinking this.
Thanks

dtrkyman

WKR
They are extremely intelligent, I had a single come and try to lure my 70lb lab into a group of 4, nothing happened and my lab was young and fierce at that time but I would't have wanted to see what happened!

Those urban yotes are pretty bold, I had one come into the yard once whiles I was mowing, it completely ignored me, enough so that I went into the garage got my bow and ran an arrow through him!

Just to clarify - you have an old GSD and a younger GSP? And are thinking about getting another GSD to fight off coyotes?

^^ If they're hungry, they are absolutely a threat and capable of a lot.

Ex-wife's uncle had a couple year old Redbone/pit mix get ripped to shreds assend first.
Same as above, got lured out by one to a larger group and he was done for.

I'd start doing some killing if you're in location you can.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
They sure play hell on the cat population around me. Guy up the street has one or two feral cats that have had litters under his house. I have seen the take down 30 plus pound dogs, no problem. They don't do very well when up against a .223. So I have been told by a friend.

mi650

WKR
4 or 5 coyotes aren't going to have a problem killing your GSP. Getting another larger dog is a smart decision.

I live in the country, we have coyotes around. My 3 dogs are on a wireless fence, and won't go outside of it. But also the 3 of them (Dane, Dane/Mastiff mix, Bullmastiff) total 450-500 lbs. 4-5 coyotes aren't coming inside of it, either. I doubt a dozen would.

TaperPin

WKR
It somewhat depends on how good a fighter your dog is - there are plenty of lab size dogs that get lost in the sage brush and don’t last long enough to be found.

Ralphie

WKR
Without a doubt they could be a threat. They hunt outsmart and kill daily. Most dogs aren’t even in the same universe with that. A determined pair would be real trouble for the average dog.

Because they are smart though they usually stick to smaller or more defenseless prey. I’m pretty rural so we don’t really have trouble with coyotes on dogs. Lambs and chickens yes.

I imagine urban and suburban coyotes are more dangerous to pets.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Just to clarify - you have an old GSD and a younger GSP? And are thinking about getting another GSD to fight off coyotes?
That correct, I have an 8 year old GSD who is starting to slow down, he has a disdain for coyotes and has killed a cripple in the yard, he also once took a dump on a coyote carcass he found in a field 😂. My GSP is a a young and smaller 3 year old female and by no means much of a force in that regard, great bird dog though. We plan to add a GSD pup to the mix within the next 12 months. Just curious what others have experienced and if they think the GSP is in real danger by itself in the evening or mornings if she were out solo.
Edit* sounds like yes, appreciate the input

OP
Sierra Hunter
^^ If they're hungry, they are absolutely a threat and capable of a lot.

Ex-wife's uncle had a couple year old Redbone/pit mix get ripped to shreds assend first.
Same as above, got lured out by one to a larger group and he was done for.

I'd start doing some killing if you're in location you can.
I’ve taken out three so far this year but hard to really to knock them down

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
My dogs and I used to go for a walk in an unmaintained upland area in town. The last couple times we were there we were ran out by aggressive coyotes. This was a few years ago. It’s still a problem and getting worse. I wouldn’t mess around with them.