Do coyotes pose a real threat?

I’ve taken out three so far this year but hard to really to knock them down
Nice work. Just keep chipping away at them.

Have you tried 77gr TMKs? Apparently they do some damage 😆

I will say there must be something to leaving one in a tree or letting it lay.
Her uncle would shoot at them with a .22 but after that he started using the .270 and gut shooting and letting them run off or just lay as sign for the other's to see their dead pack members.

Good luck to you with the yotes and with the new pup when you get it.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I find them to be a little more territorial around mating season and in early spring when they have pups in the den. Usually don’t have too much problems with them.

I think all rules are off if they’re hungry though.

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
Living in somewhat rural Southern California we deal with coyotes routinely and over the years they’ve done a number on our chickens at various times. That being said our dogs have done a good job at keeping them out while they’re outside, in particular our GSD. Recently the coyotes killed a neighbors husky (don’t have the details) and our GSD is getting up there in age, my question is do others think coyotes would hassle or attempt to kill our 40lb GSP. We’re looking to add another GSD pup so there’s no overlap in a larger more capable dog, am I overthinking this.
Thanks
Yes. They are known to lure pets out of their territory and into the coyote pack waiting for them. Kill ‘em if you can.

tony

WKR
I've got a 85 pound Doberman that is a 100% lover not a fighter.
GF keeps him with her at her home. She lives in rural Ohio outside Athens. We walk regularly in the evenings and hear coyotes. Never see them but, they are close.
I always carry when walking him or by myself for 4 legged and 2 legged mangy dogs

OP
Sierra Hunter
Has anyone here had or seen first hand a dog attacked bigger than 30lbs in a fenced yard?

7mm-08

WKR
I once observed (1,000 yards plus through a spotting scope) three coyotes kill a big, athletic lab that I was watching chuckar hunt with his master. They are super smart canids and they lured that dog away from the hunter to kill him for fun or revenge. Your 40-pound GSP would be in real danger very quickly with multiple coyotes. Be very cautions with that situation, please.

OP
Sierra Hunter
I once observed (1,000 yards plus through a spotting scope) three coyotes kill a big, athletic lab that I was watching chuckar hunt with his master. They are super smart canids and they lured that dog away from the hunter to kill him for fun or revenge. Your 40-pound GSP would be in real danger very quickly with multiple coyotes. Be very cautions with that situation, please.
Heavy

Yarak

WKR
I had 2 beagles (rabbit dogs) to be attacked by several coyotes while running rabbits
They didnt kill them but they tore them up so bad the dogs were not good for hunting any more
The beagles wouldnt get more than 20' from me after that incident

Has anyone here had or seen first hand a dog attacked bigger than 30lbs in a fenced yard?
I have an Australian Shepherd, she’s about 40lbs. She got jumped by 6 coyotes in our yard a few years back. I heard the noise and yipping so I ran out in my skivvies about a minute into the scrap. I hopped the fence and ran through the neighbors yard yelling all kinds of things that would get me banned for life from any church. My dog was fine, had one bite mark on the back of her neck, she acted like she had met some new friends and was having a great time. For a few weeks after I drafted plans on how I’d dress like Rambo and walk up the nearby arroyo with my bow after dark and get my revenge but I never did. Lots of old hippies around me, can’t imagine what they’d do if I got caught. So now we just keep an eye out when the dogs in the yard.

The gang that jumped her was a group of adolescent hoodlums. They actually attacked a couple dogs in the neighborhood that summer. They eventually split up and dispersed. I have been seeing a litter of pups at the end of our street the last few weeks.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
My Great Pyrenees (75-ish pounds) got into a stand off with a couple coyotes this spring in the middle of the night. He was barking his ass off at them right in the driveway. They were within 40 feet of him and not backing down. He wouldn't have stood a chance if they decided to make a move. I grabbed a 20ga, ran out there in my muck boots and skivvies, and shot one in the ass while they ran off. They didn't come back, but we'll likely have another incident like that this spring during their mating season.

To the dog's credit, we haven't lost a single chicken since we got him a couple years ago, but he'd lose that fight in a hurry.

TSAMP

WKR
Interesting responses. I'd say the common theme is vigilance goes along way. The longer your pet is left unattended in certain environments compounds the risk. Only you know your level of of risk.

It was said above but few pets know how to fight, you might think your xxx dog Is a beast but it's a housecat compared to a wild coyote. The best thing they have going for them is size(maybe) and you.

The guys with the curs and the ones running coyotes for sport with dogs don't just drop their dogs in the ring with a big healthy coyote and cross their fingers. It's a learned skill that needs developed.

I recall reading a book about how wolves were observed ripping the bellies of caribou open on the run so they would trip themselves on their own intestines and go down. Less risk to the wolf compared to wrestling a larger animal.

The only way to get better at killing, is killing. And ole Fido just isn't built for it.

*zap*

WKR
Yes.

Your responsible to keep your dog safe.

With fur sale prices in the toilet all predator numbers are going up. Upland birds numbers are going down...fawns are not making it, etc.

cjdewese

WKR
Yes, they're especially good at luring in younger more playful dogs & then it's over.
If you can kill one hang it up on a tree limb, etc. where they can see it & send a message to the others.
This!

We live in rural Southern California as well and have seen this several times over the years. They have even sent in heat females to lure the males out before jumping them. We have lost 4-5 dogs in our neighborhood over the years ranging from 10 lbs to 40+lbs.

Every time that happens the neighbors usually put a hurting on the coyotes for a while. We haven't had an issue in the past 5 years or so. We had 1 that was running a little to close and had to remind it and others that it wasn't allowed.

AKG

FNG
Quail hunting last year with my 12 month old female draht and my 4 year old male. She started getting out further than I prefer so I toned her back with the gps. She popped out of the crp 20 yards out with an adult coyote 10 feet behind her, shot that one with my 20 gauge twice and my male showed up started into that coyote. Then a second coyote showed up about 30 yards out, 1 shot from the 20 gauge and he (assumed as the first was a female) vacated the area. I last saw that one a half mile out pop out of some cattails on the shoreline of a small lake as my male was about 150 yards behind him barking on his track. Dog left the track and circled back shortly after. My female is only 55 lbs ful grown now so she would have had problems if the pair of coyotes would have started into her while a couple hundred yards out in that mix of tall crp and thickets. My brother and a group of his friends run hounds, out of the group there were only a couple dogs that would fair well against 1 maybe 2 coyotes by themselves, the rest were good trackers and pack hounds.

Last edited:
They're rotten in Iowa as with most places. They will take railroad tracks and water courses into cities and once they find the easy-pickings in town they don't leave.

I know it's counterintuitive, and guys are gonna pile on the hate for the following statement, but biologists and Pheasants Forever research studies have conlcuded that if you're managing a property for upland and waterfowl let the coyotes walk.
"Like Pheasants? Thank a coyote"

On the contrary, if you're managing a property for deer, kill every coyote you can. They are the number one predator for fawns. The problem is there is almost always another one to take its place as the males will travel very long distances when establishing a territory. I believe the statistic I read was that you have to eliminate 75% or more in a given area just to *maintain* the population. Real reduction takes a very concerted effort- hunting and trapping where legal. In Iowa there is a continuous open season for coyotes and they can be taken with high powers in all counties, unlike deer.
How Coyotes Killed Deer Hunting

Last edited:

Torque

FNG
They are dangerous to any dog, I don't care about the breed. They work in packs to kill dogs in a lot of cases. They will use one coyote to get the dog to chase it then the others ambush the dog.

They have, literally, completely obliterated the Bobwhite Quail here in AR. The AGFC, in all their wisdom, started reintroducting them in places and making the hunting and trapping of them more difficult. In just a couple of years, Bobwhites were gone.

TSAMP

WKR
They're rotten in Iowa as with most places. They will take railroad tracks and water courses into cities and once they find the easy-pickings in town they don't leave.

I know it's counterintuitive, and guys are gonna pile on the hate for the following statement, but biologists and Pheasants Forever research studies have conlcuded that if you're managing a property for upland and waterfowl let the coyotes walk.
"Like Pheasants? Thank a coyote"

On the contrary, if you're managing a property for deer, kill every coyote you can. They are the number one predator for fawns. The problem is there is almost always another one to take its place as the males will travel very long distances when establishing a territory. I believe the statistic I read was that you have to eliminate 75% or more in a given area just to *maintain* the population. Real reduction takes a very concerted effort- hunting and trapping where legal. In Iowa there is a continuous open season for coyotes and they can be taken with high powers in all counties, unlike deer.
How Coyotes Killed Deer Hunting
Interesting notes on the pheasant link. I have a particular area that I hunt on windy days for phez and almost always kick up coyotes in the mornings there as well, yet I have only found 1 or 2 dead birds there, and truthfully that could of been mink or other predators.

The coyote/deer link could be misleading. I didn't see how they confirm mortality of the fawn in the article, but recall a meateater episode within the last couple years that dove into this topic and found in many cases the fawns die of natural causes (weather for example) and are then scavenged upon by coyotes and then mistakenly classified as predation by researchers reviewing the carcass.

It would seem logical that for many of the same reasons they don't prey heavily on roosters, they might not on fawns as well.