Do we over think our ammunition?

Rich M

WKR
Rich- Being that I don't have a chrony and I assume you do, how close are advertised speeds with the currently manufactured power shok loads? I'm thinking the test barrels are 24" for standard long action catridges? I.e. 30-06, 270, 280. My rem 700 280 w/22 in barrel really likes the 150 gr powershoks it seems. I'm thinking i'm losing maybe 70 fps. Just curious. Wouldn't matter for the shooting/hunting I'm doing. FWIW its a 9 1/4 twist factory Rem barrel made about 1987 or 89
I can't help much - most of my ammo is 3-4-5 yrs old.

The Power Shok 243 load shoots about the same as a 2,950 fps Nosler partition load at 100 and 225 yards. It doesn't "seem" to be any slower based on my memory of where the bullets impact on paper. I can't remember chrono-ing them.

We gotta remember that diff model rifles will shoot differently. Some might have higher pressure and faster velocities while others have lower. Consistency seems to be king, IMO. If we know where the bullet is gonna hit and can make our shot count, that's what we're trying to do....

Wish I had more for you.

coldchow

FNG
I can't help much - most of my ammo is 3-4-5 yrs old.

The Power Shok 243 load shoots about the same as a 2,950 fps Nosler partition load at 100 and 225 yards. It doesn't "seem" to be any slower based on my memory of where the bullets impact on paper. I can't remember chrono-ing them.

We gotta remember that diff model rifles will shoot differently. Some might have higher pressure and faster velocities while others have lower. Consistency seems to be king, IMO. If we know where the bullet is gonna hit and can make our shot count, that's what we're trying to do....

Wish I had more for you.
I typically use either federal blue box or rem corelokts for deer and federal premium factory loads, 180gr partitions, for elk. These easy to find factory loads have worked for me for at least 40 years. Years ago I fretted over every aspect of the rifle/ammo combination, but eventually settled for what works for me. Having said that, I completely understand those who battle the obsession to improve their hunting equipment.

Rich M

WKR
It’s fun to play w diff bullets and guns. Where some folks get confused is thinking they are the only ones who have solved the puzzle.

very few hunters wouldn’t be able to use inexpensive factory ammo and kill game. Only guys I can think of are the long range fellas.

My focus was minimal meat loss so I gravitated towards monolithic bullets and high weight retention bonded bullets (> 90%). That was my window. I did obsess on reloading. I wanted the most accurate ammo I could make to minimize meat loss and to make a quick ethical harvest.

Zappaman

WKR
I also started going for the "cleaner meat" kill 25 years back (like Mule300Elk does above). The new Federal Gold Dot (Fusion) bullet has the expansion and REALLY good weight retention but cost 1/2 of the monolithics. I use them for Kansas white tail and Texas pigs and usually get pass-throughs and blood trails (which are rarely needed thankfully).

But I do load TSX or Partitions for the larger critters when I know I might need to take the shot from any angle. These hunts are rare lately, but elk horn hunts definitely qualify here (as would any trophy hunt where even broadside shots will get put INTO the shoulder).

Since I started back up reloading in the late 90s... I have killed 1/2 my freezer with head and neck shots (deer, cow elk and pigs) to about 200 yards (when conditions are right: good rest, steady/lower wind). So that is where the accuracy aspect really counts for me and why I "tweak" loads to usually around 1/2" MOA (on a lead sled) for my bolt rifles.

My AR's are harder to find super tight loads for though. The barrels I have are decent MOA (or better), faster twist models, but they can't put a 3/4" group on paper at 200 yards like the bolt guns can. So I have come to enjoy using the 6.8 SPC for tree and blind hunting both deer and pigs where 50-70 yard neck shots work fine off shooting sticks.

But last month in Texas it was SUPER cool to clock two pigs on the run (in five seconds) at about 80 yards standing with the 6.8. The 115g Gold Dots did excellent with a both heart and high-lung complete pass-throughs on 150 and 200 lb pigs respectively. Total meat loss on three pigs was about a 1/2 shoulder (#3 was head shot another night at 100 drt).

I know a LOT of guys like the 120g SST for pigs, and the cup n' cores sold in most stores for deer hunters who don't reload do work for those who use them. But I butcher and eat what I kill and appreciate lead-free meat with less lead clean-up. With that said, a good bonded lead bullet is clean enough for me (and doesn't leave a baseball sized hole on the other side OR lead shrapnel throughout the off-side shoulder... just a nice 3/4" exit and enough blood to trail).