How do you measure Trigger Reach?

I've noticed people discussing trigger reach as an important factor when selecting a stock. I found 1 video online (How to Measure Trigger Reach by Peter Charles) from 9 years ago that references measuring from the middle of the web between your thumb and index finger to where the first pad on your index finger touches the trigger. This doesn't seem to match up with the measurements of 1.7" or 2" that I'm seeing discussed when more popular rifle stocks are reviewed here. So what's the correct way to measure it?

blkqi

WKR
It is often measured as a grip-to-trigger distance. However, since the geometries of riflestocks vary quite a bit, I think it's better to measure this qualitatively. I.e. can you get perfect trigger control with your hand comfortably on the grip of the rifle?

I've noticed people discussing trigger reach as an important factor when selecting a stock. I found 1 video online (How to Measure Trigger Reach by Peter Charles) from 9 years ago that references measuring from the middle of the web between your thumb and index finger to where the first pad on your index finger touches the trigger. This doesn't seem to match up with the measurements of 1.7" or 2" that I'm seeing discussed when more popular rifle stocks are reviewed here. So what's the correct way to measure it?

I don't think there is a standard measurement. It depends on the grip shape which your middle/ring/pinkie fingers contact to a degree. In general i like how @Formidilosus covered it on a podcast - too short of a distance basically doesn't exist in stock designs. There's probably some with higher recoiling rifles that are more likely to hit your middle finger with a trigger guard under recoil but that's about the only downside i can think of. Nearly all stocks have a longer than ideal reach for the majority of shooters.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Put your finger on the trigger at a 90 degree and then measure how much you need so your hand hits the grip. I use foam, cardboard snd duct tape to build it. Then measure it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't think there is a standard measurement. It depends on the grip shape which your middle/ring/pinkie fingers contact to a degree. In general i like how @Formidilosus covered it on a podcast - too short of a distance basically doesn't exist in stock designs. There's probably some with higher recoiling rifles that are more likely to hit your middle finger with a trigger guard under recoil but that's about the only downside i can think of. Nearly all stocks have a longer than ideal reach for the majority of shooters.
I have shot rifles where the trigger guard has hit me, but it is only where I have to hold off the grip with my fingertips to get my fingertip into a 90 degree position, which is insane cause I could palm a basketball as a kid, My experience is that a proper vertical grip where I can hold onto the rifle, means my hand doesn't float so the rifle doesn't hit the trigger guards. My hand travels with the stock, because it is holding it.

Also, with a vertical grip, I have learned to put my hand down lower so that my finger is parallel to the bore as well. I am going to build up a vertical stop like this on the McMillan A10, which is a stock that has a little better design for smaller hands. The funny thing is that I thought it was almost perfect for me. That keeps my middle finger away from the trigger guard a little more too.

A problem with that is the rear action screw and bottom metal are right there as well. But, I'll work around it.

1706827644481.png